Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 106

Author Topic: Paranormal 24 - Game over! Doppelganger Victory!  (Read 216805 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 24 - Day 1 always ruins vacations
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2015, 10:03:07 pm »

Cheetar, who would you pick as your scum-buddies and why?

The players who I remember as being the strongest mafia players. You and Jim Groovester, probably.
I'm a much more confident scum-hunter than scum player, but I appreciate the flattery.  Do you find anything untoward about Mastahcheese's questioning?

Mastahcheese, I can understand not wanting to turn mafia into your day job, but keeping  a few notes on suspicious behaviour is often helpful. Another question: who would you least like to face as a scum-team in this game?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »

notquitethere: HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF... oh who am I kidding, gambits are fun.

Here's the thing: If I go for a gambit as town, it's likely to be a Xanatos Gambit, if at all: that is, I'll gambit if I can find a way to manipulate any possibility to my advantage.  At the very least, I'll try to minimalize the fallout should some unforseen circumstance occur.

If I go for a gambit as scum, it's likely to be more risky and more prone to failing if even one person doubts it, but will have a spectacular payoff if I can pull it off.

As a final note, while it may not seem like it, I try to weigh every gambit carefully before I follow through.

What is your opinion on Town Gambits in a game such as Paranormal?  And who would you pick as YOUR scumbuddies?

Cheeetar: I see.  And what about the question you chose do you believe makes it a good question?  Also, when I was writing up the post mastahcheese hadn't posted yet and he was the first person I saw glancing down into the previous posts who hadn't posted after game start.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:08 pm »

cheese: I'd be more inclined to think I'd misread them, particularly if this was the first time they'd come under any serious pressure. Also, unless I'm misreading something a conversion would require one of the scumteam to vanish overnight, which would presumably have a unique flavourtext and be a warning sign. I'd better go look over the roles again to make sure I haven't missed one...

NQT: Yeah, I learned my lesson  :-[

I'll have some questions tommorow morning, it's a lot later than I realised.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »

Mastahcheese, I can understand not wanting to turn mafia into your day job, but keeping  a few notes on suspicious behaviour is often helpful.
I won't argue that.

Another question: who would you least like to face as a scum-team in this game?
Who would be the least likely I'd want to face?
Hmm.
(How many people are part of a scum team, again?) I can't find where it says. I'll assume three, cause I like that number.

Um.
Probably Tiruin, cause I can never see through her. Followed by Toonyman, because he could probably run circles around me in regards to playing capability in general. Then probably Shakerag. I don't trust Shakerag.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2015, 10:14:59 pm »

Four.  There were four pods.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2015, 10:15:58 pm »

Mastahcheese I see the PMs are already starting. Do you think the ability to whisper/PM is more beneficial to town or scum? Why?
In answer to your question, I see three scenarios:
1) The veteran forgot to say when they were letting down their shields, or forgot to let them down.
2) The veteran is a doppelganger.
3) The doppelgangers found the cop either the night before or by dumb luck and shot him the night the veteran happened to lower his shields.
Oh, and what 4mask said about gambits, I guess.

NQT what would you do if you had Large Tech slot?
To answer your question, I'm going to play more aggressively than normal, at least I'm going to try.

Jim Groovester What psychic role would you most like? What would you do with it?

Shakerag Who do you think would be your biggest threat if they were on the other team than you?

PPE: 6 replies

4maskwolf What weight do you put into the value of a mislynch's roleflip?

PPE: 2 more replies
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2015, 10:18:43 pm »

To answer your question, flabort, I'm going to make the assumption that no power role actions were involved in the mislynch, because that would add a whole other layer to the onion that I don't want to get into right now.

Basically, it is worth something, because it can give you information on who might be mafia by who had fairly weak cases but were leading the charge against that player.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2015, 10:20:58 pm »

TheDarkStar, what's the must-have alien item?

A personal shield to avoid dying.

As so it begins

TheDarkStar, Persus13, UXLZ: People start getting abducted. Is it better to switch your focus over to trying to find the alien, or do you continue trying to find dopplegangers? Why?

It's probably better to find the alien because it will probably end the game a lot faster than the doppelganger.

Shakerag: If you were a war vet, when would you decide not to be active?
flabort: Do you think a tough doppelganger or an advanced one is more dangerous to the town?
ToonyMan: Which role is most powerful in the hands of the town? Doppelganger?
Tiruin: As survivor, would you side with town or scum?

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:21 pm »

Do you find anything untoward about Mastahcheese's questioning?

Not particularly. It's odd for him to characterise 4maskwolf as 'angsty', but I assume it was just a humourous aside.

Cheeetar: I see.  And what about the question you chose do you believe makes it a good question?

A polite request: Let's not talk more about my question until the person I'm questioning is able to respond to them.

I see the PMs are already starting.

How are you aware that people are PMing each other- are you claiming to have been PMed or to have PMed other players?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:17 pm »

Four.  There were four pods.
Shit, missed that. Thank you.

The forth person would then be... I dunno, Jim? He always seems insane to me.

Mastahcheese I see the PMs are already starting. Do you think the ability to whisper/PM is more beneficial to town or scum? Why?
1) The veteran forgot to say when they were letting down their shields, or forgot to let them down.
3) The doppelgangers found the cop either the night before or by dumb luck and shot him the night the veteran happened to lower his shields.
Yeah. I can see that.
I... really don't know who it would benefit more. If you could confirm town, that would be awesome, but you really can't.
I can't say for sure, to be honest. What do you think?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2015, 10:50:16 pm »

mastahcheese:
Deus Asmoth, Shakerag: Someone appears to be very town-oriented, and suddenly they start making slips that they weren't before. Which is more likely, that your initial guess on them was wrong, or that they've been converted?
Hmm.  Honestly, I would think that if someone is solidly town and then I start seeing slips, I'd think that something was going on outside of the game as my first thought.  Restricted to those two choices, I'd likely go with the former. 

NQT:
Shakerag, do you think random voting is necessary?
No.

flabort:
Shakerag Who do you think would be your biggest threat if they were on the other team than you?
I honestly have no idea anymore.  Everyone is a threat in their own way.

TDS:
People who are not as active are more likely to draw inspects and the like rather than night kills.  So, no. 

Jim Groovester:  Will you be my valentine?
Toaster:  Who do you watch more carefully:  players you haven't seen before or the old vets?
flabort:  How glad are you that I didn't end up with an Advanced Assassin bot and daykill your ass as soon as the game started?
UXLZ:  What question should I ask you?
Deus Asmoth:  Are you able to access quicktopic okay?
Scripten:  How helpful do you expect your teammates to be this game?
4maskwolf:  Am I an asshole?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:07 pm »

Shakerag: Do you want the honest answer or the nice answer?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2015, 10:53:18 pm »

TDS:
People who are not as active are more likely to draw inspects and the like rather than night kills.  So, no. 
By active, I mean using their ability at night rather than not posting.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:19 pm »

Cheeetar, ToooonyMan, Jim Grooooovester: Which is more scummy, someone who flops votes around every 2 posts, or someone who sticks it on one person and refuses to move it?

The flopper.

The person who holds his vote is committed to their suspicions, at least. The flopper is probably trying to jester it up or trying to appear that way.

Jim Groovester, why did the doppelgangers historically lose so much in prior games?

Probably unlucky results in the night game. There are a lot of power roles, and all it takes is somebody psychic roleblocking a player and then there being no night kill or a reporter tracking a player to a kill target or some other unlucky result for people to get suspicious and call for lynching that player.

Late game town mass claims and coordination are also usually pretty effective.

I haven't cared to look but I don't think the dopp/town win/loss rate isn't that skewed towards one side, is it?

Mastahcheese I see the PMs are already starting.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????????????????????????????

Why would anybody be talking to anybody this early in the game, unless you're on the same team as them?

Your answer is incomplete. The sources of kills in this game are not disguised, so we would know whether the cop was killed by a dopp or a PWV or whatever else have you.

Why did you fail to take this into consideration?

Jim Groovester What psychic role would you most like? What would you do with it?

Probably Psychic Warden. It's the most directly useful, what with it being a roleblock. Medium isn't bad either, what with being able to collect dead players' claims.

Jim Groovester:  Will you be my valentine?

Only if you ask me via a heartfelt Valentine's Day card.

ToonyMan, what do you make of there only being one vote cast so far in what is supposed to be the Random Vote Stage?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:01 pm »

4maskwolf
Shakerag: Do you want the honest answer or the nice answer?
Both, naturally.  After you answer that, tell me why you're so willing to lie to me this early in the game as well.

Jim Groovester:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 106