Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548713 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19830 on: June 17, 2016, 10:07:46 pm »

I think it's less a problem with either branch of government, and more that they're in opposition. Executive wants to do X, legislative wants to do Y, neither side can do anything. Without a clear hierarchy it's a very inefficient system.

Actually, on that note, just how powerful is an executive order? It doesn't seem that they're particularly effective.
Well that's the point though, they're supposed to need some level of cooperation to do the big stuff.

Technically the Executive branch ONLY executes the will of Congress.
While the Judicial branch makes sure that Congress's laws are actually possible under the Constitution.

In practice the Executive branch has some amount of leeway.  But it absolutely can't declare war (in the formal sense).

As an American, if I had to choose a most-important branch, I'd definitely choose the Senate.  Basically our House of Lords.  Every state gets exactly 2, so there are 100.

The house of representatives (proportially-elected congresspeople) are very important too, but the senate is a bit heavier.

The president tries to *influence* said houses of congress, and execute their bidding.  Along with the veto power, but that can be overwhelmed with 2/3 majority.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:11:51 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19831 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:13 pm »

I think it's less a problem with either branch of government, and more that they're in opposition. Executive wants to do X, legislative wants to do Y, neither side can do anything. Without a clear hierarchy it's a very inefficient system.
Working as intended. Checks and balances.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19832 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:34 pm »

Actually, on that note, just how powerful is an executive order? It doesn't seem that they're particularly effective.

It's not meant to be efficient. It's meant to ensure that a Cromwell, Napoleon, or Hitler can never rise to power by preventing any one part of the government from having supreme authority.

As for executive orders, they have extremely limited scope. Outside of actions that directly concern the executive branch, the only things an executive order can do is either back up the actions of another branch, or prohibit the executive branch from aiding in the actions of another branch.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19833 on: June 17, 2016, 10:12:57 pm »

Well that's the point though, they're supposed to need some level of cooperation to do the big stuff.

Technically the Executive branch ONLY executes the will of Congress.
While the Judicial branch makes sure that Congress's laws are actually possible under the Constitution.

In practice the Executive branch has some amount of leeway.  But it absolutely can't declare war (in the formal sense).

As an American, if I had to choose a most-important branch, I'd definitely choose the Senate.  Basically our House of Lords.  Every state gets exactly 2, so there are 50.

The house of representatives (proportially-elected congresspeople) are very important too, but the senate is a bit heavier.

The president tries to *influence* said houses of congress, and execute their bidding.  Along with the veto power, but that can be overwhelmed with 2/3 majority.

In case somebody would like a source:

The constitution of the United States, and the first 10 amendments.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution#Article_One
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19834 on: June 17, 2016, 10:12:59 pm »

The number of orders issued isn't nearly as important as the issues the ones that go out address. I don't know enough about the history of the executive order to make a comparison, but Obama's use of them has been controversial in certain respects.

Every president's actions are considered controversial by some. If you want a qualitative judgment, you have to specify which ones you mean, and why.

What I had in mind was Obama's actions on immigration. No small number of people believe it should be left up to congress, though I don't have any issue with the one I can think of off the top of my head that allowed minors to delay deportation under certain circumstances.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19835 on: June 17, 2016, 10:14:06 pm »

Obama's... not that unpopular, really? I mean, he's certainly not popular, either, but there's definitely been presidents in the fairly recent past that have been more disliked, and more consistently disliked. For someone that did come into power during economic troubles, on the heels of the bush presidency (which I'm not sure if disaster is the right term for, but it's probably something close), and in the face of all the shit he's had to deal with besides, he kinda' seems to be doing pretty well on the popularity front.

Didn't stop Reagan.
For all the good it did 'im. Reagan was actually the last president to lose to obama on both max and min approval ratings, and 'is disapproval was only a point off of obama's highest to date. Average somehow managed to be higher, but *shrugs* though every one since ford has had lower bottom ends than obama's managing at the moment, apparently. Six of the last 13 topped out with higher disapproval ratings, too.

Eeehh... it's not even that they're in opposition, exactly. There's been times where they've actually wanted to do the same thing, but one or the other (generally congress) screwed things over just to stop obama (or the democrats/republicans depending on who's leading the attempt at whatever, etc., etc.) from getting something that looks like a win. There's some immature little shits holding political seats.*

Fairly? They have pretty free reign in deciding how governmental organizations carry out their legal duties, mostly. Their scope is more conceptually limited than actually, heh. Obama's have actually be pretty damn impactful on a number of issues, they just haven't really been getting much actual attention besides people screaming that the sky is falling for reasons usually unspecified.

*E: Well, either that or holding to Khanian theories of conflict resolution. "It is not enough that I must win," goes the tea party, "Everyone else must lose."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:21:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19836 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:17 pm »

The number of orders issued isn't nearly as important as the issues the ones that go out address. I don't know enough about the history of the executive order to make a comparison, but Obama's use of them has been controversial in certain respects.

Every president's actions are considered controversial by some. If you want a qualitative judgment, you have to specify which ones you mean, and why.

What I had in mind was Obama's actions on immigration. No small number of people believe it should be left up to congress, though I don't have any issue with the one I can think of off the top of my head that allowed minors to delay deportation under certain circumstances.

Weren't those also issued by Ronald Reagan?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19837 on: June 17, 2016, 10:17:23 pm »

In case somebody would like a source:
That's nice of you sweetie...  Generally though it's more expected to just link the source, and then berate people for not following it.

Or I guess link it and then the conversation is enriched.  That happens a lot here, because this forum is surprisingly unshit a lot of the time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19838 on: June 17, 2016, 10:26:21 pm »

Quote from: The United States Constitution
Section 2.  The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army
and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States,
when called into the actual Service of the United States;
he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer
in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to
the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power
to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States,
except in Cases of impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the
Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators
present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice
and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public
Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other
Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein
otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law:
but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers,
as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law,
or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen
during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall
expire at the End of their next session.

Section 3.  He shall from time to time give to the Congress
Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their
Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient;
he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either
of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to
the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall
think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers;
he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall
Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section 4.  The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the
United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for,
and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order#Basis_in_the_United_States_Constitution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19839 on: June 17, 2016, 11:44:04 pm »

It's not meant to be efficient. It's meant to ensure that a Cromwell, Napoleon, or Hitler can never rise to power by preventing any one part of the government from having supreme authority.
Those are all examples of an unstable/collapsing political regime being made significantly more stable by the means of military coup. They're not good arguments for separation of the powers in a stable system. Take the Westminster system, for example - legislative and executive branches are merged, and subject to the judiciary. It's not giving anyone absolute power, it's giving the people in power the ability to actually do stuff.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19840 on: June 18, 2016, 12:34:03 am »

One of the greater disadvantages of the American government system is the diffusion of responsibility.

Oh how lovely it would be to live in a parlimentary system.  Give people enough power so it's fucking clear who fucked up when the fuckers fuck the fucking pooch.

Obama was DOOMED to be unpopular from the start just from becoming president during one no matter what he did.

Well in 2008 it was already clear that Democrats were not in for a fun time come 2010, employment numbers simply couldn't come back in time to salvage things.  But after 2010, there was still a clear path to a happy ending that would make everyone look good.  Sadly the midterm elections resulted in a congress that wasn't interested in everybody looking good.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19841 on: June 18, 2016, 12:48:28 am »

Tsk. You missed an opportunity to make a jab at the UK there, m. Coulda' used pig instead of pooch ;)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19842 on: June 18, 2016, 01:01:52 am »

One of the greater disadvantages of the American government system is the diffusion of responsibility.

Oh how lovely it would be to live in a parlimentary system.  Give people enough power so it's fucking clear who fucked up when the fuckers fuck the fucking pooch.

Obama was DOOMED to be unpopular from the start just from becoming president during one no matter what he did.

Well in 2008 it was already clear that Democrats were not in for a fun time come 2010, employment numbers simply couldn't come back in time to salvage things.  But after 2010, there was still a clear path to a happy ending that would make everyone look good.  Sadly the midterm elections resulted in a congress that wasn't interested in everybody looking good.

And Trump is the herod the republicans deserve.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19843 on: June 18, 2016, 08:24:01 am »

You randomly brought up two sociopolitical concepts tangentially related to politics and totally unrelated to the matter at hand.
Which of the matters at hand are you referring to?

Did you know that passive aggressive behavior is also a psychological phenomena that one sometimes finds in threads such as this? It's even in the DSM-IV.

Quote from: wikipedia
Pluralistic ignorance can be contrasted with the false consensus effect. In pluralistic ignorance, people privately disdain but publicly support a norm (or a belief), while the false consensus effect causes people to wrongly assume that most people think like they do, while in reality most people do not think like they do (and express the disagreement openly).

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't alter my thinking or claim to believe something that I don't in order to match what I think most people believe. Why would anyone even want to do that? We're not the Borg.
Well yeah...I don't really get how that makes sense to just randomly apply here.

It's vapid, because it's a truism. Say there are two rival viewpoints X and Y, held by some percentage P of the population. A person can only estimate P. So if 30% of people believe X and you believe X, then if you think <30% of people believe X you are suffering from pluralistic ignorance while if you believe >30% of people believe X you are suffering false consensus.

But I'm not sure how e.g. both sides of the gun debate here could be suffering "pluralistic ignorance". So the gun control people actually support gun rights, but they have "pluralistic ignorance" and believe that gun control is the social norm, while the gun rights advocates are privately pro-control but believe that gun rights are the socially-accepted norm. Yeeeaaah... the very idea that both sides in a debate suffer from pluralistic ignorance (as was implied by Bork's original post) is a bit kafka-esque to say the least. Also, we are having debates about these topics. The very act of debating weakens the notion of a "false consensus". Because if there's a consensus - false or actual - then the discussion doesn't tend to last very long.

As to why the same factoids turn up again and again when the same issues are debated. Well that would be because there is a body of facts out there, and they are the go-to source of knowing what's actually happening in the world. If someone has a theory "we should do this" or "we should do that", then better than guessing, you can go research what actually happened in countries which did that stuff. Of course the same sources will end up being cited, because that's where the relevant information is.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:45:26 am by Reelya »

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx
Pages: 1 ... 1321 1322 [1323] 1324 1325 ... 1342