Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547212 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19530 on: June 13, 2016, 11:08:17 pm »

Quote from: wikipedia
Pluralistic ignorance can be contrasted with the false consensus effect. In pluralistic ignorance, people privately disdain but publicly support a norm (or a belief), while the false consensus effect causes people to wrongly assume that most people think like they do, while in reality most people do not think like they do (and express the disagreement openly).

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't alter my thinking or claim to believe something that I don't in order to match what I think most people believe. Why would anyone even want to do that? We're not the Borg.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19531 on: June 13, 2016, 11:13:09 pm »

Pluralistic ignorance can be contrasted with the false consensus effect. In pluralistic ignorance, people privately disdain but publicly support a norm (or a belief), while the false consensus effect causes people to wrongly assume that most people think like they do, while in reality most people do not think like they do (and express the disagreement openly).

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I don't alter my thinking or claim to believe something that I don't in order to match what I think most people believe. Why would anyone even want to do that? We're not the Borg.
Well yeah...I don't really get how that makes sense to just randomly apply here.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19532 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:25 pm »

Perhaps to avoid suspicion/scrutiny/murder if the belief if something you think is wrong, but popular in your area? Iunno.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19533 on: June 13, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »

It's certainly justifiable in some cases. But it's not even remotely worthwhile on some internet forum.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19534 on: June 13, 2016, 11:27:33 pm »

I could see that happening on the internet to avoid being stereotyped away into a strawman, as so often happens. Without meatspace, people often have disdain for nuance or isolation of many viewpoints and will automatically try to enforce your supposed belief in an entire worldview based on obscenely small bits of information.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19535 on: June 13, 2016, 11:33:45 pm »

... that... still happens in meatspace. Probably even moreso, really. Emotive reactions and the non-verbal dimension of communication makes those sorts of outcomes much easier in a lot of situations. To say nothing of the significantly more influential social aspects involved. Internet discussions are a lot less likely to end up with you having broken limbs, out of a job, or thrown out on the street, et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19536 on: June 14, 2016, 02:20:25 am »

Frumple, you live in a shitty part of the world, you know that?

Anyway, Trump has revocated the press credentials of the Washington Post Not really a friend of an adversarial press our Trump. He might not be the next Hitler, but he does give off a "next Orban" vibe.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19537 on: June 14, 2016, 02:24:02 am »

Pretty aware, yeah. Not nearly as bad as a lot of places, but it can be uncomfortable at best if you're not a fairly specific sort of person.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:25:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19538 on: June 14, 2016, 02:27:24 am »

To admit he has a VERY convenient article to ban them for. So it is hard for me to extend sympathy to the Washington post.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if news outlets had to actually have integrity in order to have credentials? :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:37:23 am by Neonivek »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19539 on: June 14, 2016, 02:27:58 am »

Indeed. I can be honest here because I don't have to look any of you in the eyes when I tell you I think you are  wrong. I don't have to deal with the tension that hangs in the air when you know you just said something that other people strongly disagree with. I'd say the internet can certainly increase the volume of disagreement, since in this age a million people can repost you and all talk about how wrong you are, but being reposted a million times is not really the same as having to disagree with someone in person a million times. As another example (here showing the "worst case" for disagreements), you are much more likely to get death threats over the internet,  and to get *more* death threats, but at the same time death threats over the internet are also a lot less worrying then if someone threatened to kill you to your face, for example.

Frumple, you live in a shitty part of the world, you know that?

Anyway, Donald "A lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive" Trump has revocated the press credentials of the Washington Post Not really a friend of an adversarial press our Donald "A lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive" Trump. He might not be the next Hitler, but he does give off a "next Orban" vibe.
Personally her greatly reminds me of those tinpot third world dictators who do this sort of stuff.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19540 on: June 14, 2016, 02:38:37 am »

Anyway, the notion that a weapon can't be modified because it has a serial number is kind of ignorant of the fact that just anyone can buy a drill press, if they're so inclined. That said, I don't think most criminals bother- I'd be curious to know how many crimes have been committed with weapons that were, themselves, illegal, either due to violating the National Firearms Act or silly stuff like California's Assault Weapons Bill.

This was several pages back as I was sleeping(heh) but I feel I want to reply to this as it was me who brought up the AR-15 is difficult to modify to full auto thing.

I explained myself badly, I of course meant in Europe, because one needs a license and AR-15 lower, upper, bolt and barrel all have serials and a license only gets one of each, semi auto. Its much, much easier to modify an AK-47 family gun, get an AK-47 full auto illegally(theres a million or so of them in EU alone) or even build a new gun in a backyard shop, than to mod a complex AR-15.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19541 on: June 14, 2016, 03:03:11 am »

... we kinda' do, neo. They're called police.
I'm not buying this one. NZ and the UK both have unarmed police and their crime rates are no worse than similar countries with armed police.

Except in London, where at least half the patrolmen are carrying rifles and what look like SMGs but I'm not a gun dude so IDK

Basically you get 2 types of policeman here:

Cheerful Bobby                                         Cheerful Bobby with gun
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19542 on: June 14, 2016, 03:06:32 am »

Cheerful has mace and a club. The gun looks like a MP5-style SMG.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19543 on: June 14, 2016, 04:17:35 am »

Of course he's got mace and a club, he's a police officer not a male stripper :/

Thanks for the gun ID, I gue-

Your username. It is divine.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19544 on: June 14, 2016, 05:13:00 am »

No way that gun isn't an MP5 variant.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 1342