Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548716 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19800 on: June 16, 2016, 11:28:18 pm »

... and plenty of pretty good stuff that is similarly floating through under the radar. Lotta' junk doesn't really catch much attention.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19801 on: June 17, 2016, 01:02:47 am »

Trump, appearing on the Fox News program "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren" Wednesday, insinuated that "maybe they weren't hacked," referring to the DNC. "Maybe they just wanted to get it out there," he said, offering no evidence to back up the claim. "They have not apologized, and they probably should be apologizing," he said.

I wonder what his thought process is to make a statement like that? Randomly speculating, without evidence, "Maybe X happened!" -> "I heard myself say 'X happened', and I only speak truth" -> "Why haven't they admitted X and apologized for it? Something is going on!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19802 on: June 17, 2016, 02:00:26 am »

If politics are as corrupt as you all are saying, why's it matter if people exploit a corrupt system to change things for the better?

Well the American Corruption tends to feed into people who can afford to pay for the corrupt system... Basically rich people and businesses...

Mind you the corruption is a LOT more complex then that... But the US system is very mired preventing people from actually making changes for the better.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19803 on: June 17, 2016, 02:17:10 am »

The whole corporate donor system is basically legalised corruption/oligarchy, let's be honest.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19804 on: June 17, 2016, 02:43:30 am »

Hooray, the UK has 83%!

Now if only that 83% were ANY OF THE BIG THINGS THAT MATTER
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19805 on: June 17, 2016, 04:19:16 am »

Hooray, the UK has 83%!

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19806 on: June 17, 2016, 04:23:34 am »

The UK is 83% inside America
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #19807 on: June 17, 2016, 06:33:25 am »

83% freedom

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19808 on: June 17, 2016, 07:15:28 am »

Hooray, the UK has 83%!

I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Talking about the article mainiac linked a bit upthread. Turns out UK politicians manage to enact, to some degree, 83% of their campaign promises, on average. Currently the metaphorical opposition opinion seems to be it's only a country's equivalent to the other 17% that actually matters, and politicians are apparently filling 2/3rds+ of their campaign promises and political career in the pursuit of what amounts to fluff (or lies, or both, depending on who's talking at the moment) and barely, if ever, managing to influence anything of substantial import.

Would leave it as an exercise to the reader as to if that's actually an accurate observation of the state of things, heh. Seems to me that most people pretty badly underestimate exactly what's going on in the halls of legislature an' whatnot, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19809 on: June 17, 2016, 10:23:02 am »

Well the American Corruption tends to feed into people who can afford to pay for the corrupt system... Basically rich people and businesses...

Okay but the examples here are politicians doing what they campaigned to do and were elected to do.  It feels like people are refusing to consider any evidence to the contrary.  Sure sometimes politicians do sell out.  But if you say that they always sell out AFTER being presented with evidence that is not true you are simply ignoring the facts.  I presented a source that backed up my assertion.  You have presented jack shit and yet you continue to insist that my assertion is completely wrong.

It reminds me a lot about the complaints that Obama hiked taxes on the poor and middle class.  No matter how much Obama and other democrats repeated that the tax hikes were rolling back the Bush tax cuts for the rich, people still acted like they were middle class tax hikes.

If you say that politicians do behavior X, they go to great lengths not to do X and then you still bitch and moan and vote against them you are punishing the ones you claim to support and aiding the ones you claim to oppose.  The reason why the rich people are able to fuck up the tax code so much is because people punish attempts to make the tax code more progressive.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19810 on: June 17, 2016, 11:52:38 am »

I'd say it's more a matter of, despite whoever is in office, we don't get to see the world or political climate shift, at least not easily.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19811 on: June 17, 2016, 12:19:46 pm »

I'd say it's more a matter of, despite whoever is in office, we don't get to see the world or political climate shift, at least not easily.

Need longer perspective.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19812 on: June 17, 2016, 12:44:29 pm »

You are free to say that.  But the thing is I was arguing with the sentiment that everything is bullshit.  If I take objection to that and you in turn say that I can't object to that, you aren't saying that you think the pace of progress is slow.  You are supporting the argument that everything is bullshit and rah rah nihilism.

And it happens over and over and over and over again.  Someone makes some ridiculously over the top statement about everything being bullshit and gets a circlejerk of support.  Do you think that everything is bullshit?  Do you think that 100% of political promises are lies?  Do you think that politicians have no interest in giving the voters what they want?  Because these are the sentiments that are frequently expressed here.  I'm not seeing a whole lot of objections to these sentiments.  What I'm seeing is a whole lot of people reflexively siding with these sentiments.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19813 on: June 17, 2016, 01:12:23 pm »

I, for one, don't object because (a) I don't have numbers, (b) someone already provided numbers, (c) I'm wasting enough hours here as it is without getting invested in all the arguments that happen

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19814 on: June 17, 2016, 02:54:23 pm »

Okay but the examples here are politicians doing what they campaigned to do and were elected to do.  It feels like people are refusing to consider any evidence to the contrary.  Sure sometimes politicians do sell out.  But if you say that they always sell out AFTER being presented with evidence that is not true you are simply ignoring the facts.  I presented a source that backed up my assertion.  You have presented jack shit and yet you continue to insist that my assertion is completely wrong.

In my view the "corruption" or "selling out" of politicians is only tangentially related to whether they keep their promises, but I can't speak for the previous people in this argument (i.e. I'm not "moving their goalposts"). I think you're right, the popular perception that politicians are liars willing to say anything to get elected is false, but I still think the system is corrupt.

Since campaigning has gotten so expensive, with the costs of creating an organization on the ground and the influence of advertising, it seems like candidates are effectively screened by their ability to raise a competitive amount of money. If candidates rely on many small donations then this expensive campaigning system isn't necessarily corrupt (though is still pretty dysfunctional in my opinion), but for most major candidates that rely on super PACs to alleviate their advertising costs, that candidate's ability to compete and media coverage is contingent on conforming to the views of at least some members of the mega-rich stratum. There are billionaires that support the democrats just as there are billionaires that support the republicans, but they're still getting a disproportionate amount of influence, and it's one of the many factors that makes the barrier of entry for a new third party even higher (even if the system stabilizes to two parties again, these barriers allow the existing parties to entrench themselves in the face of unpopularity).

For smaller congressional campaigns and the like, the party influence is much greater, since they (and their backers) will be the chief source of funding. This isn't necessarily unethical, obviously a party should be able to support its candidates, but it further stifles independent or third party candidates from getting seats in the legislature, something that I think would be a much more realistic route to reforming the fundamental structure that creates these problems than say, just a Sanders presidency.

This isn't Chinese Hong Kong levels of "these are your state-approved options, enjoy your democracy", and candidates like Sanders (and Trump I guess) have shown it is possible to shake things up, but people's feelings of being disenfranchised by the rich aren't unfounded. If a person doesn't like the democrats or republicans, their options are greatly constrained, and the rich are a part of keeping it that way.

Of course, it's worth noting that Hillary has gotten a large portion of campaign money from small donations, and has promised significant campaign finance reform, so many of the claims that she represents part of this system's worst failings are false. But it would be my speculation that the democrat's strategy of reform is motivated more by the prospect of damaging and maybe finally eliminating the republicans than any selflessness (with Sanders' success pushing the issue forward in importance). For what it's worth, it's really the republicans who are corruption incarnate when it comes to this, even if the democrats do happily continue to use and abuse super PACs and the like.
Pages: 1 ... 1319 1320 [1321] 1322 1323 ... 1342