Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82200 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

* Kevak facepalms because he got distracted replaying Starcraft II and didn't write up his lore. He promises to do it tomorrow.

The mining lasers in Transcendence just break off parts of the astroid that you need to manually scoop up. *has played the game.*

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

I'd like to see the model, pencil.

In regards to AI core positioning: I put it there because 1) It needs lots of heatsinks/cooling, and the heat has to go somewhere, 2) Damage is unlikely to be the front, unless you point yourself right at sonething, and 3) It looks nice aesthetically and allows symmetry, which I guess actually is important on a centrifugally spinning ship.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damage is actually extremely likely to hit the front. Front's /Thee Most/ likely impact zone, as bullets are fired with a lead on the target. We'll be flying straight into them.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Leading a projectile to hit the front of a moving object is an order of magnitude harder than hitting the facing side.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to see the model, pencil.

Well, fine then :D. Going to change model to fit the blueprint.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile

We should attach some shielding to the front to protect it in case we ever decide to ram.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

We should attach some shielding to the front to protect it in case we ever decide to ram.

Ramming is quite possibly the worst possible thing you can ever do with a spaceship, so I think we're fairly safe from that decision, all in all.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a last resort, not a combat method.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a last resort, not a combat method.

It doesn't work as a last resort, either, considering distance at which space combat could plausibly happen, which is definitely measurable in thousands of kilometers at the very closest. So it's presumably safe to say that such a decision will never need to be made.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In case, And more armor can't hurt.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile

I've been lurking in this thread and I have to say something, if your making a joke use your damned smilies. Honestly from 378 years of Terrible jokes and relatively bad forum etiquette school I have to say, smilies are a god send.

:P
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

TheAelius has 125mm of indeterminate composite alloy comprising the hull outer layer, and a 40mm thick pressure hull beneath that, along with internal divisions. The AI core, main engines, and the front of the centrifugal zones have a 200mm ablative reinforced carbon nanomaterial coating to protect against space debris, and provide extra protection in a theoretical combat scenario, should any life existant beyond the Dark Star prove hostile. In addition, all exterior hull surfaces are painted with a thick white material, with a layer of metallic reflective paint on top, to assist with heat control and laser dispersal.

Other notable features of the hull include:
Drone racks along the exterior of the hull.
These racks are what the on-ship External Multi-Purpose Remote drones are stored on, simply attaching themself via rows of clamps onto the rails. This avoids the requirement for interior storage of these hefty pieces of equipment. These are also used for the heavy EVA gear for biological crew.
Minor Airlocks.
Apart from the main airlock in the rear of the ship, which is also the hangar bay, there are several smaller ones around the ship, each containing emergency-only omnispecies inflatable survival suits, for use in case of dangerous fire or damage preventing escape to the rest of the ship.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We probably should do shields.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We probably should do shields.

I don't think shields are a reasonable thing to actually exist, at least if I understand what you mean by them (force fields). We've got armor and reflective coatings already if people agree with Dorsidwarf's suggestion, and shields just seem like pure phlebotinum technology.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Well, you could have a magnetic field to deflect charged particles with.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 46