Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82332 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

((Not sure that wording's much better but vOv....))

The things that need to be on the outside to work properly are the sensors and the weapons, so I guess it makes sense to bury other stuff. The dimensions we've listed would support it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

...So that means it is implied that I have my very own rock collection storage facility? Which is merely only for a hobby and takes up space? :P

But yeah, arguments ahead--this is going to be nice. [As a xenozoologist, I would advocate for a facility which allows an isolated atmosphere at least, in order to keep or store any specimen for study without causing bodily harm or future mutation (hopefully?); it can also be used as an emergency area for crew, if the medbay is down for some reason...err, as I envision it anyway]

Also from the post v, I do agree on the isolation system and procedural protocol.

...Perhaps this lab should also have its own internal power supply? :P Like, a battery charger...if the association isn't too crude for the technology of the time?

Also of note, Dorsi, the ship reminds me of Babylon 5...or whichever (sorry to say my memory may be lacking) involves a ship with the circle-esque architecture.

Aha, but I said "cunning arguments". "I like to collect rocks" is not a cunning argument. It also doesn't require a separate facility. It requires a box (although fancy terminology might allow you to dub a box a facility in the loosest possible terms). Though, then again, if you knew important enough people from your home planet, it's plausible you might get them to throw their weight around and get you a rock collection facility that's a bigger box instead (like a room, for instance, with shelves and smaller boxes in it, even).

Could maybe compromise on the zoo pen, though, and allow the use of some spare living quarters (maybe a distinguished scientist had a triple heart attack before we set off and couldn't come along) for keeping any alien life you find inside. Or, better idea, only study alien life either post mortem or in situ. Or figure something else out. Have fun with your limitations, you know? Like an actual space mission and not some kind of dang floating city.

The capability of the manufactory and mining systems, specially the capacity for drone construction since the whole block of equipment is being donated by the AI. Currently they still appear to be low end crappy ones. Also just remembered weapons are needed, pretty sure the group had agreed on weapons like twelve or fifteen pages ago.

All labs should have isolation systems.

Is it donated by the AI? What if we assume it isn't and that the ship wasn't put together from donated parts from each race but instead designed from the ground up? Does the AI Collective even exist yet? Could relative crappiness of fabrication facilities be imposed to save on mass (and thus fuel, to say nothing of the energy drain an incredibly large fabrication system would naturally cause, as we're not made of hydrogen and antimatter, you know)?

Really, I think it would be best if I did not acknowledge the AI Collective as part of any argument until I get some sort of actual documentation, because that can only run in circles without it.

As for isolation systems, can't you keep things in a space shipping crate with a camera in it? That should be airtight (with optional ventilation if you drill holes in it), and things wouldn't be able to escape, either. Plus, sealing labs shouldn't be difficult, either. Automatic doors with central overrides, good sir. Plus ventilation sealing, which I just added as well.

Also, no biological warfare in the labs. It's unhealthy and unseemly.

Finally, fire extinguishers added. Felt we'd need them.

I seem to remember having 4 rail gun Point Defense guns and a big laser or something, correct me if I'm wrong. This does seem like the "Dont get hit" kind of space battle though, seeing as our ship design is minimum weight explorer, and only has energy protection.
It was a fuckton of PD, a number of missiles, and a few particle beam turrets.

But I was so looking forward to venturing into the unknown with peaceful intentions and zero weaponry. You silly space imperialists, you. Don't you know that any form of alien life we are likely to meet (contrast a galactic society, which would naturally have experienced significant informative osmosis and equalization of technological achievement) is either going to be far ahead or far behind in weapons technology in relation to us, given the narrow technological window we inhabit? In either case weapons are probably mostly obsolete.

How about a large laser instead, or just a mining laser with "mine asteroids" and "mine battleships" settings? Can't see missiles being too practical, though. Maybe a railgun of some sort. Particle beams, though, those sound too awfully pointy and technobabbly to add in good conscience. What form of particles would they shoot?

I'm wondering why the AI is in the front of the ship actually. It's both the stupidest possible spot for any essential system and just flat out dumb. AI in center of ship. Change it to: All reactors in center of ship, bridge in center of ship.

Well, it's clearly because we think the AI is the best part of the ship and we want to show it to aliens so that they may appreciate it with their advanced weaponry, the result of which will no doubt be met with raucous cheering on the part of the crew, leading the AI to find it likely through the course of the roughly million thoughts it has in the last millisecond of its existence that this turn of events may have been their plan all along.

Other than that, you can basically shoot the ship anywhere with heavy ordnance and it'll be screwed, so where you put all that crap. But that's the price we pay for realistic-looking designs. Could put the AI next to the engine (and the reactor, of course), though, and have the bridge be more of a meeting room that nobody would miss if it went boom.

You also can't have the reactor in the center of the ship, because you need a shitload of radiation shielding for it (hence why it should be as far from the crew as possible), and putting it at one end makes you require that much less of it. The AI core can be put wherever, I'll grant you, since that's just a member of the crew anyway, and the central computer core could also be put wherever, maybe somewhere along the middle of the zero-G central spine to minimize the miniscule latency issues, though otherwise positioning's highly unimportant.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:44:44 pm by Harry Baldman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fusion reactors don't produce radiation like fusion ones do (since they don't use heavy elements). Instead, they produce x-rays, which get converted into lots and lots of heat. Which is one of the main issues with fusion technology today.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, I always wondered why heat-sinks couldn't just be cooled by temporarily exposing them to the super cold vacuum of space and then putting back inside?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Because it's pretty hard to radiate heat into a massless area. Mass retains and absorbs heat better then something without mass.

Lore coming soonish. On way home.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Fusion reactors don't produce radiation like fusion ones do (since they don't use heavy elements). Instead, they produce x-rays, which get converted into lots and lots of heat. Which is one of the main issues with fusion technology today.

Ah, I see. Well, in any case, ionizing radiation is still an issue, since X-rays are still pretty bad for you, and I don't see how it'd be terribly good to have a source of massive heat next to the computer system. Better to have it share a cooling system with the engine, then? Could be more efficient that way.

Also, think you made a typo there.

You know, I always wondered why heat-sinks couldn't just be cooled by temporarily exposing them to the super cold vacuum of space and then putting back inside?

Vacuum isn't cold. It just mostly doesn't have a temperature, since it's so diffuse a gas it's mostly devoid of atoms that can vibrate in the first place. It can actually get hotter or colder depending on where you are, but depends on how much heat radiation you're soaking up (or radiating) rather than any kind of ambient temperature. For cooling in space, they use radiators, which are built to have a surface that can effectively radiate its heat outward in the form of infrared light.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And said radiators tend to be /Huuuuuuge/. For convenience, we should assume we have a better way to vent heat.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, I see. Well, in any case, ionizing radiation is still an issue, since X-rays are still pretty bad for you, and I don't see how it'd be terribly good to have a source of massive heat next to the computer system. Better to have it share a cooling system with the engine, then? Could be more efficient that way.
The x-rays get converted into heat by even a few mm of metal. Also, presumably one could increase efficiency by using some of the heat to run turbines.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I'm wondering why the AI is in the front of the ship actually. It's both the worst possible spot for any essential system and noooot particularly smart. AI should be in the center of ship. I suggest changing it to: All reactors in center of ship, bridge in center of ship.
{SNIP}
Err...
Y'know, y'all could just say 'The AI is in a vulnerable position because of {reasons}' instead of going on those..detailed analogies.

I wonder how long tactical warfare will consider 'frontal most part//first viewed part = first to shoot at' when we'd consider we're in space. :P

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ship would be accelerating into the bullets based on how targeting works at relativistic speeds.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember we aren't targeting at relativistic speeds it takes months of acceleration to get that fast. In this universe that is.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

I like the idea of having mining laser{s} as our weapons. PD cannons could also be used to swat hypothetical space debris, which is important. Even something the size of a paint chip can deal quote a bit damage to the ship at the speeds modern day spaceships can achieve. Having something that shoots obstacles out of the air[Or lack thereof, in this case] has a lot of mundane utility as well as military usefulness.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sort of wondering how a mining laser would work.

The only mining lasers I can think of are Eve Online ones, and they use what amounts to a tractor beam to draw vaporized material in. Currently irl, tractor beams aren't physically possible as far as we know.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I'm sort of wondering how a mining laser would work.

The only mining lasers I can think of are Eve Online ones, and they use what amounts to a tractor beam to draw vaporized material in. Currently irl, tractor beams aren't physically possible as far as we know.
From where I know it is described as (Transcendence free-download game), its a precision laser used to separate veins of 'ore' from the main rock. The collection method afterwards is subjective to sci-fi rule in place. :P

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does that ship blueprint mean I can stop producing the model I am working on?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46