Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82318 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game thread
« Reply #540 on: January 18, 2015, 04:42:45 pm »

Alright, a ship design that most people agree on! Now just to decide for sure what it has.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (could use some more crew!)
« Reply #541 on: January 18, 2015, 04:50:12 pm »

You should probably change the title to "ship has been designed, arguments were resolved, all we need now is more crew"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:28:57 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

I think you forgot to change the labs/mining/manufactory capacity bits.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Chage the labs/mining? Huh?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning/Pre-game/Interest thread
« Reply #544 on: January 18, 2015, 05:14:03 pm »

Also, I'd like to apologise if I've been a bit snappy and rude. I don't really mean to be that way, it just sometimes comes out like that, especially over the Internet.
Yeah, sorry if I've been rude as well. I just tend to psych myself up a lot for internet arguments, so I might come off as far more tight-wound and unpleasant on certain issues than I'd like to be.

* Tiruin jumps in joy.
This is going to be a notably convivial venture. I am thus thoroughly amused by the status of this...my fellow crew. Rejoice! :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:26:01 pm by Tiruin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I added the bit with the biolab, I'm fairly sure, and the rest of the labs are extraneous. As for the mining and manufacturing thing, do you mean expand the capacity according to your specifications? I'm not really sure arguing over the size of that bit is going to be particularly significant or amount to anything in the end, so best to keep it reasonably vague (not to mention that you didn't provide much more than a vague laundry list of metallurgy implements that you can probably safely assume the manufacturing area would have already).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for the presence of other labs, it might be argued that scientist in X field who really wanted to come along successfully argued why the ship should have facilities for them to do their work.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

As for the presence of other labs, it might be argued that scientist in X field who really wanted to come along successfully argued why the ship should have facilities for them to do their work.

Well, the biologists got their crates of biostuff and implements, and I don't recall there being any other types of scientist on board. I guess Slate's a physicist, but he already would have a space telescope to mess around with. Plus the whole thing rotates, so he's elated by default.

But yes, cunning arguments to be had, certainly. Who's got a scientist and why should they get a lab?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Well, the biologists got their crates of biostuff and implements, and I don't recall there being any other types of scientist on board. I guess Slate's a physicist, but he already would have a space telescope to mess around with. Plus the whole thing rotates, so he's elated by default.

But yes, cunning arguments to be had, certainly. Who's got a scientist and why should they get a lab?
...So that means it is implied that I have my very own rock collection storage facility? Which is merely only for a hobby and takes up space? :P

But yeah, arguments ahead--this is going to be nice. [As a xenozoologist, I would advocate for a facility which allows an isolated atmosphere at least, in order to keep or store any specimen for study without causing bodily harm or future mutation (hopefully?); it can also be used as an emergency area for crew, if the medbay is down for some reason...err, as I envision it anyway]

Also from the post v, I do agree on the isolation system and procedural protocol.

...Perhaps this lab should also have its own internal power supply? :P Like, a battery charger...if the association isn't too crude for the technology of the time?

Also of note, Dorsi, the ship reminds me of Babylon 5...or whichever (sorry to say my memory may be lacking) involves a ship with the circle-esque architecture.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:38:12 pm by Tiruin »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I added the bit with the biolab, I'm fairly sure, and the rest of the labs are extraneous. As for the mining and manufacturing thing, do you mean expand the capacity according to your specifications? I'm not really sure arguing over the size of that bit is going to be particularly significant or amount to anything in the end, so best to keep it reasonably vague (not to mention that you didn't provide much more than a vague laundry list of metallurgy implements that you can probably safely assume the manufacturing area would have already).
The capability of the manufactory and mining systems, specially the capacity for drone construction since the whole block of equipment is being donated by the AI. Currently they still appear to be low end crappy ones. Also just remembered weapons are needed, pretty sure the group had agreed on weapons like twelve or fifteen pages ago.

All labs should have isolation systems.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

I seem to remember having 4 rail gun Point Defense guns and a big laser or something, correct me if I'm wrong. This does seem like the "Dont get hit" kind of space battle though, seeing as our ship design is minimum weight explorer, and only has energy protection.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was a fuckton of PD, a number of missiles, and a few particle beam turrets.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd recommend lasers, since they need only energy and don't alter your trajectory when fired (which is unavoidable when firing anything with mass). Missiles are also good for economics, because it seems you'll have facilities for making cheap ROVs/Drones anyway.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know why but I just find it hilarious that the AI is housed at the very front the ship like as if the ship was wearing a clown's nose. I just imagine any boss-fights with this ship to be hilarious. It also gives a giant finger to ramming
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm wondering why the AI is in the front of the ship actually. It's both the worst possible spot for any essential system and noooot particularly smart. AI should be in the center of ship. I suggest changing it to: All reactors in center of ship, bridge in center of ship.

I mean, from an IC perspective, it's like riding on a motorcycle that has a spike going up your arse and if you get jolted, it will cause your anus to tear and the metal spoke to spear out your belly button.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:32:31 pm by Kevak »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46