Poll

How many players do we have?

Count me in!
- 13 (61.9%)
No, but maybe I'll watch
- 8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46

Author Topic: The Dark Star (space game) - Planning thread (It begins! Link on latest post)  (Read 82210 times)

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile

"A University of Washington group in Seattle has been experimenting with using a bubble of charged plasma, contained by a fine mesh of superconducting wire, to surround a spacecraft. This would protect the spacecraft from interstellar radiation and some particles without needing physical shielding.

Likewise, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory is attempting to design an actual test satellite, which would orbit Earth with a charged plasma field around it.

In 2008, Cosmos Magazine reported on research into creating an artificial replica of Earth’s magnetic field around a spacecraft to protect astronauts from dangerous cosmic rays. British and Portuguese scientists used a mathematical simulation to prove that it would be possible to create a "mini-magnetosphere" bubble several hundred meters wide, possibly generated by a small unmanned vessel that could accompany a future NASA mission to Mars."-Wikipedia

So there's testing with magnetic and plasma fields to deflect radiation, it's a thing, though maybe not the kindof way of blocking lasers, I also heard something about militaristic uses of forcefields to block RPG rounds or something along the lines of that, but I might be pulling thing's out of my ass at this point.

FAKEEDIT: And Hugo said what I said in much fewer words
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

We probably should do shields.

I don't think shields are a reasonable thing to actually exist, at least if I understand what you mean by them (force fields). We've got armor and reflective coatings already if people agree with Dorsidwarf's suggestion, and shields just seem like pure phlebotinum technology.
There are several satellites IRL that are planned to be launched with charged magnetic fields to make them less likely to get hit by small space debris and to prevent component failure from large quantities of solar radiation.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Ah, I stand corrected. Personal magnetosphere could potentially work, though I doubt it'd deflect much in the way of space debris without pouring a whole lot of power into it. Could work, of course. Who knows.

Anyway, better get this out the door soonish. I've already lost all basic desire to play in the game itself.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Well the issue is hydrogen atoms smacking into the ship at relativistic speeds. Shields are a good way to deflect that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the issue is hydrogen atoms smacking into the ship at relativistic speeds. Shields are a good way to deflect that.

Oh, sure enough. I was more objecting to the basic notion of an unspecified force field shield. A magnetic deflection system, however, is much more specific and nice.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Ah, I stand corrected. Personal magnetosphere could potentially work, though I doubt it'd deflect much in the way of space debris without pouring a whole lot of power into it. Could work, of course. Who knows.

Anyway, better get this out the door soonish. I've already lost all basic desire to play in the game itself.
That's too bad. We're already short on people.

Sorry the planning has dragged on so long, people. It is important to get the details straight before we begin, but I should have been more on-point this weekend.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's too bad. We're already short on people.

Sorry the planning has dragged on so long, people. It is important to get the details straight before we begin, but I should have been more on-point this weekend.

That is sad to hear. How many people exactly do we need?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shooting for around 10-12

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

I think we should decide on whether the current ship design is good enough, then we can dump that all in the OP, along with all the current character sheets and a list of players. People like to know what they're getting into in the first post, and otherwise all the arguing will put them off.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • alchemy too stronk pls nerf
    • View Profile

Hmm. This sounds... interesting.

I might joi-

>notices the time

...welp, reading the entire thread took forever. I don't have too much time left, so I'll probably reappear tomorrow (what's with it being about 40 minutes till midnight here).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think we should decide on whether the current ship design is good enough, then we can dump that all in the OP, along with all the current character sheets and a list of players. People like to know what they're getting into in the first post, and otherwise all the arguing will put them off.
Yes. I say let's get that all done today, and with luck we can get started Wednesday or Thursday.

Hmm. This sounds... interesting.

I might joi-

>notices the time

...welp, reading the entire thread took forever. I don't have too much time left, so I'll probably reappear tomorrow (what's with it being about 40 minutes till midnight here).
Welcome aboard! I hope...

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome indeed! And getting started soon seems like something you said a while ago, but I might be mistaken....

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Do we have any form of medical staff? I'm considering scrapping Sound-Glorious-And-Bring-Life-Unto-Creation's mechanical skills and making him the medical officer.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do we have any form of medical staff? I'm considering scrapping Sound-Glorious-And-Bring-Life-Unto-Creation's mechanical skills and making him the medical officer.

Tiruin's got a doctor.

And here's at least a majority of the initial wave of sheets from way back, helpfully collated by Tiruin.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:51:10 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

In that case, what non-captain job vacancies are there? We're only at like 7/12, but the AI is supreme lord of engineering, my character isn't exactly suited for logistics, The AI will of course fly the shuttle itself, so we don't need a pilot. Even "Stress Relief" is filled by the Your Punchbuddy character.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46