Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53250 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »

No problem.  I'd love to see what you do with them, but don't stress about doing Orcs if it adds too much to your workload, since they're non-canon after all. I figured it was worth giving you the info since i saw an Orc in your other thread :) 

Your Nethack sprites are really great.  Are they compatible with expanded mods like SLASH'EM?

Nah, but the developer of NetHack 4 contacted me and I drew all of his graphics for him. If you go get the Android version of NH4, it currently supports DawnHack.

Oh, but DawnHack could probably be expanded to include a lot of SLASH'EM's graphics...There's a Creative Commons expansion of DawnHack called DawnLike which has general-purpose graphics for roguelike developers. It's almost twice the size of DawnHack so someone might be able to cobble together a SLASH'EM tileset using those.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:04:02 pm by DragonDePlatino »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2015, 06:16:07 pm »

On religion, pantheons typically have an all-powerful "chief" god in addition to the various personifications (Such as Odin, Zeus, Anu, Osiris, Indra, etc.). So letting dwarves and humans use the same pantheon thing wouldn't necessarily mean getting rid of Armok, it could just mean that Armok is the Dwarven chief god and the humans could then get their own human-y chief god. So the passive powers of each dwarf/human religion would vary between universes, but the central active abilities of Armok/Humangod* would stay constant.

*If implemented, I cast my vote for the possible Human chief god to be named "Hosapi", a shortening of Homo Sapiens that's unlikely to be interpreted as bias towards or against any RL faiths that may still be in practice.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2015, 06:20:56 pm »

LMeire, I was mostly aiming at people directly telling me that Armok isnt supposed to be in the game. ^^ I agree with you and would keep references to Armok in, but others say "no, armok is you, you generate all these worlds and watch how dwarves die."
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2015, 06:19:50 am »

I agree with both of you Meph and LMeire about gods, but I cannot hide that I felt a little unconfortable when I saw for the first time Armok between religious building stuff.
Humans: Stay as is, remove knights/paladins, add magic system known from Dwarf Mode.

Why are you removing the knights/paladins? I would think knights and paladins are like a staple human feature
Yes, why?
stuff
What are Clowns now?!?!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:50 am »

Knights and Paladins can be done much better using Roses scripts. He has some beautiful experience based leveling system, much superior to my "after X time automatically get an upgrade"... Its silly that they level up even if they dont fight. Bookkeeper squire becomes bookkeeper knight from sitting inside his office for 2 years...

So I'll improve it once I get the hang of the new scripts.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:30 am »

What are Clowns now?!?!

Clowns are, along with Candy, the things you have to discover yourself.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2015, 09:20:43 am »

HFS = CLowns/Circus.

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2015, 10:38:58 am »

What are Clowns now?!?!

Clowns are, along with Candy, the things you have to discover yourself.

HFS = CLowns/Circus.

Oh yeah. I recall someone calling them like those... I wonder why.
But I think it's because of all that FUN it ensures their discovering.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2015, 11:33:04 am »

Its to avoid spoiling new players. Adamantine is candy, breaching the circus is opening a spire, clowns are demons... ;D

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2015, 11:37:11 am »

I think it's a great idea to start over,
and I experienced so much the difference between 2b and 6.2,
so I know what you're talking about.

First MW was all about testing, and in the end Dwarves had almost everything (a lot of structures),
then the others had "specific structures to make them special".
Now you're planning to do it "from scratch", so new Dwarves will have what they need to have.
In my opinion Guilds and special a few "specialization" structures are Humans stuff.

I don't have particular suggestions because I didn't play with all races, I used Dwarves Elves Orcs and Gnomes.

But actually my dream (after my trip in Mexico) is to play a "race who performs sacrifices to the gods",
trying to reproduce the cities of Teotihuacan and Tulum,
so I would prefer to have a few extra options in the future, for sacrifices, with "Savage races" like Nagas pr Kobolds.
Maya's god was a serpent so I would love to make it Naga ;)

The "dig" or "not dig" limitation is the most important choice for a different game experience,
I can tell that "using actual caverns layout" for non-dwarves races is more funny that "digging your own fort underground" (that should stay a dwarves thing).
I had positive examples with Orcs, where underground lakes+caverns were used to live into,
but they still need to dig "normal-soft rock" to adapt terrain a bit. You can't obly people to build walls with wood or soft-rock.

I don't know YOUR limitations with actual DF and DFHACK,
but "you require this tool to dig harder rock" would be a good option ALSO FOR DWARVES,
dividing the game into specific "technology phases" that can't be jumped without a lot of special-structures and research.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:38:58 am by Nokao »

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2015, 12:19:58 pm »

but "you require this tool to dig harder rock" would be a good option ALSO FOR DWARVES,
dividing the game into specific "technology phases" that can't be jumped without a lot of special-structures and research.

Has someone worked out a way to do this?

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2015, 02:17:14 pm »

Has someone worked out a way to do this?

1 year ago the "DF hack guy" (sorry for not remembering his name) said that this would be possible in the future.
I think that "game phases" or "research requirements" are the only way to make the game really complete.

Actually after passing from MW to legacy-vanilla game (I'm testing base game cause I want to sew what's new in 1 year),
I must admin DF it's a simple game "after all" (when you know the basics).

MasterWork DF make it A LOT more interesting with new races, but yet you can do everything very early in the game,
after a first phase of building or digging (maintaining survival of the colony).

Making it more step-by-step requirement could make it harder to arrive to HFS and candies.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:24:44 am by Nokao »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2015, 03:54:23 pm »

>> But actually my dream (after my trip in Mexico) is to play a "race who performs sacrifices to the gods",

Nokao, I don't know if you've played Orcs a lot, but there's blood/bonemold metals, totems as currency, blood rituals at the Temple of Storms, weapons enchanted with blood magic.

There's nothing that I really hardcoded explicitly after any mezoamerican historical practices.  But you can certainly build up to emulate something like a Tezcatlipoca gladitorial sacrifice by pitting captives into a constructed arena and sending in the clan champion's squad with macuahuitls, and you can use the resulting talismans to in a Rain, Sun, or Snow dance to control the weather for example.

Plus, you can use blood magic to power your steampunk equipment if you haven't looted enough gnomish diodes yet, which i think the aztecs also did historically*.

*or maybe in Shadowrun, I get those two confused sometimes ~~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »

Its to avoid spoiling new players. Adamantine is candy, breaching the circus is opening a spire, clowns are demons... ;D

The existence of adamantine is as much of a spoiler as the existence of trifle pewter. It's in every single metal list, for one.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2015, 07:35:11 pm »

The existence of adamantine cotton candy is as much of a spoiler as the existence of trifle pewter. It's in every single metal list, for one.

Ah, yes...and everyone knows that Romeo and Juliet die at the end of the play, but only people who've watched the play know how and why. Even though newbies know about cotton candy, they don't know about it's properties or all of the HFS that comes along with it. :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27