Poll

Good or bad idea?

Very good.
good.
meh.
bad.
Very bad.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions  (Read 53256 times)

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Reborn - Discussion/Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2015, 09:28:25 am »

As for drow, it IS possible to give elves a syndrome that turns them into drow if they become cave adapted.

That reminds me of the Snow Elves from The Elder Scrolls universe. They were forced to live underground and slowly became the vile Falmer - a mechanic that would be great. Imagine : a host of goblins approaches your forest, and burns it to the ground. To save your people you retreat into the darkness, and there they are slowly corrupted, and after years they emerge as vile Ferric Elves(?) sworn to avenge their dear forests...

What? CAN'T A MAN DREAM IN PEACE?!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2015, 09:30:50 am »

That can easily be done. Caste with pop-ratio 1, transformations triggered by cave adaption, irreversible.

Interesting idea for a dual-creature race. You live on the surface? Get creature A. You live underground? Get creature B. :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:53 am »

the thing is, these mutations normally take generations to occur.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2015, 09:43:14 am »

Its a fantasy game. Gremlins mutate overnight if you feed them. :P

And MY GOD IS VANILLA DF TINY!!! There are barely any items and reactions and things and stuff. I really forgot how much of the mod content is actually modded.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2015, 09:44:54 am »

Rememebr that DF2014 supports several kind of sites, hill dwarves, fort dwarves and deep dwarves so mixing themes are a thing.

Now you know how a player feels when going from vanilla to MDF, in reverse.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2015, 09:48:08 am »

Another quite elvish idea. Perhaps they could receive a "seed of life" which will be capable of growing a enormously sized tree to carve elvish homes in? That would abolish the need for normal buildings.

AARGH! So many ideas and yet so little knowledge of modding. I should learn it, some day.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:57:37 am by Emperor »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2015, 10:01:05 am »

Rememebr that DF2014 supports several kind of sites, hill dwarves, fort dwarves and deep dwarves so mixing themes are a thing.

Now you know how a player feels when going from vanilla to MDF, in reverse.
At least the player doesnt have to manually delete all the stuff they dont like. I now have to manually write all the stuff that I like. :D

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2015, 01:23:04 pm »

Regarding religion in the game, I always liked how several of the races had their own religion buildings that worked differently from the religious buildings of the other races, and I feel having religion be the sole perview of the humans loses something from that.

With Magic and Dwarves, I feel like the Rune Weaponry/Armory is enough magic for them - their magic is part of crafting rather than throwing fireballs and the like.  Save that for another race.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:43 pm »

As for drow, it IS possible to give elves a syndrome that turns them into drow if they become cave adapted.

That reminds me of the Snow Elves from The Elder Scrolls universe. They were forced to live underground and slowly became the vile Falmer - a mechanic that would be great. Imagine : a host of goblins approaches your forest, and burns it to the ground. To save your people you retreat into the darkness, and there they are slowly corrupted, and after years they emerge as vile Ferric Elves(?) sworn to avenge their dear forests...

What? CAN'T A MAN DREAM IN PEACE?!

Well, that whole process was kickstarted by the Dwemer blinding them and music-magically engineering them to become more suitable as slaves.

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2015, 01:55:32 pm »

Humans: Stay as is, remove knights/paladins, add magic system known from Dwarf Mode.

Why are you removing the knights/paladins? I would think knights and paladins are like a staple human feature

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 03:34:47 pm »

Regarding religion in the game, I always liked how several of the races had their own religion buildings that worked differently from the religious buildings of the other races, and I feel having religion be the sole perview of the humans loses something from that.

Not religion itself, just the pantheon mechanism.  Doesn't seem too off-balance.

Dwarves get Armok.
Gnomes and Elves get druidic connection with nature.
Kobolds and Orcs have a kind of totemic deity/nature mix.
Succubi and Warlocks want nothing to do with gods.
And Humans are a wildcard, their religion is based on whatever your citizens happen to worship already.

Oh wait a second... this might be a really bad idea, but what if...since technically Armok is the player, what if dwarves got an ability that allowed the player to attack enemies directly? :D  Like you select a target with the cursor and it explodes!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »

Dwarves have a pantheon, just like humans, at least according to vanilla DF. Elves believe in a general force, not a specific deity, so probably "the earth is awesome, praise gaia". Kobolds I always saw like they would jump around and pray to a totempole of all the shiny stuff they stole without even knowing why they do it, while Orcs are clearly american indian with their dreamwalkers.

Warlocks and Succubi have the HFS to pray or make deals with.

I'm not sure about Armok. Some people say its breaking the fourth wall, or that the player is Armok. On the other hand I like the idea of dwarves praying to the blood god, offering spoils of war.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2015, 05:23:07 pm »

From the perspective of an artist and a worldbuilder, I feel it would be best to keep the number of races to a minimum in in Masterwork Reborn.

For starters, keeping the number of races to a mimimum would make Masterwork DF more approachable for newbies. Goblins and Orcs are very similar races, for instance, so newbies might find it difficult to remember which race has which traits. Also, if you keep keep the number of new races low, you'll have a lot more diversity. If you wanted a race to drive other creatures insane, for instance, you'd be better off attributing that to Clowns instead of creating an entirely new race to have that trait. Any traits that couldn't be attributed to existing races will go into new ones, which means you'll be playing a VERY different game depending on what mode you play.

Lastly, if you avoid adding too many new races, it'll be much less of a load for artists. Every new race you add will add 198+ new profession graphics, which means things will become exponentially more time-consuming the more races you add. Just look at the S'Lanter. They had to be cut from Fallout because adding a new race would be too much of a burden for the artists. Adding new content to existing races, on the other hand, will expand the gameplay without increasing the graphical load. The amount of tiles in Vanilla DF is already mind-boggling. I've finished retexturing projects for NetHack, Minecraft and Earthbound Zero, but DF proved so enormous that it's the only cancelled project I've ever had to date (DwarfFortress).

So with that being said, I think you should limit yourself to only two new races (along with the existing Dwarves, Humans, Elves, Goblins, Clowns and Kobolds). An avian race and an aquatic race would work just fine for the new ones. We already have enough races based off of earth, fire and nature so enough of those!

TL;DR:
KISS

Oh, interesting!  I checked out the other thread, your artwork is really nice.  I saw you were working on an orc model there.  I'd be happy to give your new tileset a spin if you do get around to making one.

Orcs, like goblins, are every shade of green, or occasionally ash grey.  Their eyes are several shades of deep red.

Oh, and I almost forgot to thank you! From a clarity perspective, I think it would make a lot of sense for orcs to be gray because goblins are already green. Thanks for the thorough response!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:35:27 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:56 pm »

Orcs and Goblins are rather different, if you look at the vanilla goblins and how smake made his orcs. But I do get the point.

Avian and aquatic are impossible from a modders perspective, the pathfinding is broken. Amphibious works, with some downsides.

The many profession sprites are only needed for playable races, and all of those already have the graphics. Just in 16x16, not 32x32. I'm not good enough a pixel artist to make good sprites in that size. But currently there are 7 races, plus the Hermit which uses only a single sprite.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »

No problem.  I'd love to see what you do with them, but don't stress about doing Orcs if it adds too much to your workload, since they're non-canon after all. I figured it was worth giving you the info since i saw an Orc in your other thread :) 

Your Nethack sprites are really great.  Are they compatible with expanded mods like SLASH'EM?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27