Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146207 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #915 on: August 14, 2016, 08:33:04 pm »

Okay, despite being arcade-like, the space combat is actually decent fun once you've got an upgraded fighter. Lucrative, too, even with only six free slots I'm making 200-400k a run shooting up freighters/sentinels/pirates.

Mind you "Decent" as in worse then any space fighting game you ever played including Spore. So... Meh...

Anyhow... I am deleting No Man's Sky and putting it to my "Do not see" list and maybe attempting a refund... This game is terrible.

And no matter what anyone says: DO NOT GET THE GAME UNLESS YOU PLAY IT FIRST!!! and even then play for 10 hours... DO NOT play someone elses save where they have everything either.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:34:37 pm by Neonivek »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:51 pm »

Who else is in the thread just to watch people go back and forth? Not because they care about the game.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 14, 2016, 08:37:39 pm »

Nah, it's okay. Not particularly outstanding, given that all you have to do is outturn and occasionally feed titanium to your shield generator, but enjoyable in a mostly mindless way.

On another note, is anyone else getting really bad aliasing? Mainly on buildings/ships with sharp edges.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 14, 2016, 10:12:30 pm »

It seems that pretty much everyone agrees that the game is only worth half the price tag, although it's not immediately obvious when you start playing.

Also, I found an upgrade for the warp drive, and boy it makes life easier, the range is much better even with only that first upgrade.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 14, 2016, 10:36:34 pm »

Me and my girlfriend are playing, separately, while chatting over skype.  We're having great time talking about what we're doing and being terrible space explorers.  I can't find any distress signal ships, she can't stop herself from shooting things and dying.  Having a blast.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 14, 2016, 11:06:44 pm »

I've noticed something that's making me a little suspicious.

There's usually five or six save beacons listed on the planet menu for each planet.  Ignoring how stupid and out of place their names are ("Bumbo Moor" in the middle of a desert or something), they're usually like five or six minutes apart.

But the planet is clearly much bigger than that.  Usually I have to leave the atmosphere and pulse around to reach special locations like abandoned buildings.

So either all the special features are clustered in maybe 5% of the planet's surface and I just happened to land in that 5% every single time I play, or the planet's features aren't even pregenerated, and are laid out based on where you are.

Jesus Christ, dude.
Shoes...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:17 pm »

I thought it just listed only the 6 most recent, with no way to look at or log previous ones. I haven't been keeping careful count, though, so perhaps I'll try to for the next planet I land on.

As to distances, I've had several derelict ships that required several minutes of pulse speed in orbit to reach, one time taking me to just about the opposite side of the planet (there was a station nearby to make it easy to reference... unless that orbits while you explore).

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 14, 2016, 11:24:20 pm »

Me and my girlfriend are playing, separately, while chatting over skype.  We're having great time talking about what we're doing and being terrible space explorers.  I can't find any distress signal ships, she can't stop herself from shooting things and dying.  Having a blast.

Doing this is really cool. I chatted over TS and watched my girlfriend stream while she watched mine. Very fun, but I think she'll refund it as she prefer more Minecraft-like sandboxes (like Terraria and Starbound), with building, customization and all that.

About things not being pregenerated, try using your ship scanner ["C"]. You'll find question marks which are the buildings.
The annoying thing is how many points of interest there are (i.e how well developed/colonized some planets are).
I miss 100% dead planets with no colonies or anything whatsoever. It's one of the silly things you need to ignore if you want to enjoy the game.

I mean..I even read about a dude who crafted like 200 bypass chips and used it to hack those antennas, and he made the system very much unplayable because of all the markers pointing at stuff on the planet. Mind that I can't confirm that's real since I didn't find a screenshot from him, but I don't doubt it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 14, 2016, 11:26:57 pm »

Doing this is really cool. I chatted over TS and watched my girlfriend stream while she watched mine. Very fun, but I think she'll refund it as she prefer more Minecraft-like sandboxes (like Terraria and Starbound), with building, customization and all that.

About things not being pregenerated, try using your ship scanner ["C"]. You'll find question marks which are the buildings.
The annoying thing is how many points of interest there are (i.e how well developed/colonized some planets are).
I miss 100% dead planets with no colonies or anything whatsoever. It's one of the silly things you need to ignore if you want to enjoy the game.

I mean..I even read about a dude who crafted like 200 bypass chips and used it to hack those antennas, and he made the system very much unplayable because of all the markers pointing at stuff on the planet. Mind that I can't confirm that's real since I didn't find a screenshot from him, but I don't doubt it.

well, later on there is gonna be building stuff supposedly. I dunno how sophisticated it will be though or what it will involve. Starbound definitely has an epic building system, and a ton of stuff to do.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 14, 2016, 11:28:13 pm »

I thought it just listed only the 6 most recent, with no way to look at or log previous ones. I haven't been keeping careful count, though, so perhaps I'll try to for the next planet I land on.

I was just playing around a bit more (even though I shouldn't) and it turns out it does only list the most recent ones. There's more waypoints than just those.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 14, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »

I was just playing around a bit more (even though I shouldn't) and it turns out it does only list the most recent ones. There's more waypoints than just those.

Which, to be fair, while not nearly as bad as the alternative is still not exactly good - you can scroll through flora/fauna/rock discoveries, why not waypoints?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »

Which, to be fair, while not nearly as bad as the alternative is still not exactly good - you can scroll through flora/fauna/rock discoveries, why not waypoints?

There is actually a reason for that...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 14, 2016, 11:44:02 pm »

I've noticed something that's making me a little suspicious.

There's usually five or six save beacons listed on the planet menu for each planet.  Ignoring how stupid and out of place their names are ("Bumbo Moor" in the middle of a desert or something), they're usually like five or six minutes apart.

But the planet is clearly much bigger than that.  Usually I have to leave the atmosphere and pulse around to reach special locations like abandoned buildings.

So either all the special features are clustered in maybe 5% of the planet's surface and I just happened to land in that 5% every single time I play, or the planet's features aren't even pregenerated, and are laid out based on where you are.

Jesus Christ, dude.

You're overthinking it. As Dostoevsky said, it's basically a ticker-tape that lists your most recent six. IIRC if you don't upload them before they scroll you'd have to go back (or not, it's only 1k units).

I mean, you could have figured that out in five seconds just by going to more than six save points.

--

Another undocumented feature: Focus your scanning binocs on a building to place a waypoint on it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 14, 2016, 11:52:08 pm »

Another undocumented feature: Focus your scanning binocs on a building to place a waypoint on it.
Remember when games came with manuals that explained features and all control functions.  I do.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 15, 2016, 01:37:29 am »

There is actually a reason for that...

Out of curiosity, what reason might that be? I don't believe the game auto-purges prior locations after you visit a certain number, because after an extended foray on a planet hacking a relay (or whatever those red-beam things are called) will sometimes point me at a location I already visited a while back.

On that note, nice to know there's a way to add waypoints but is there a way to delete one? Only reliable way I've found is to leave the system outright.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 87