Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146208 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #900 on: August 14, 2016, 12:58:57 pm »

I found a planet that I was forced to dub New Seattle.

So apparently the hitscan sniper upgrade for the boltcaster was miscategorized as a mining beam upgrade. Building it makes your mining laser stop working. -_-'

>.> erm, I've had that thing on my tool for ages. I think it might have changed my mining lazor color and the thing does deal decent damage now, but that could just be the other upgrades. Recent bug aside, I haven't had any issues mining with it.

Yeah, it changes the color. When I strapped it on my laser went from two units of mineral resource per second to about one every ten seconds. Weird.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:32 pm »

Is Seattle a toxic nuclear wasteland full of mutated women with many eyes and nipples?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 14, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »

It was a perfectly lush, harmless planet.

Except for the rain. Freezing rainstorms every two minutes.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 14, 2016, 02:03:09 pm »

So apparently the hitscan sniper upgrade for the boltcaster was miscategorized as a mining beam upgrade. Building it makes your mining laser stop working. -_-'

The fact that it turns your beam red would indicate that it's intentional and not bugged, albeit with perhaps the wrong description (I was hoping it'd turn your mining beam into a single blast version like the ship's phase beam, personally).

After adding that to my mining laser it will now destroy things that the mining beam was previously ineffective against (e.g. facility doors and resource silos). With that and the +4 damage upgrade the boltcaster feels a little obsolete, as you can pop sentinel drones from long range extremely quickly, though I'm still not far into the game. For me it was actually mining significantly faster, though that might have been the other upgrades at work.

Additionally, has anyone tried the "SM" upgrade to the boltcaster? Based on the description it's hard to tell if it causes physical 'push' on hit targets or allows destroying ore deposits like the mining beam.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 14, 2016, 02:40:47 pm »

Hmm. Thanks for the description on that mining beam tech. Is it the Rail..something Upgrade?
I couldn't find any info and it says "Mining Beam Companion Upgrade" on the item subtitle, but says it's a Boltcaster upgrade on the description..so I put it adjacent to both blocks of upgrades to see what it was intended for..I played very little after I added it, so I didn't really notice much difference. But what Dostoevsky said makes sense, and if I had more Beam upgrades I'd simply dismantle my Boltcaster and invest on my Grenades and Beam instead.
There's very little use for my Boltcaster right now.

And here's my current gun (after my first 12h [with breaks] crazy first play session). Also, I hope everyone knows about the synergy feature..and I hope that's not considered a spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 14, 2016, 04:18:20 pm »

From what I can gather, the Railshot upgrade increases both your damage and mining speed, but it makes your tool overheat much faster, so the cooling upgrades are a must if you're not abusing the heat reset bug.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 14, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »

So I uh...got a "demo"...yeah a demo...just a demo guys :P

I played 2 hours (the time steam would have limited the refund) and I actually like it quite a bit. Granted I only played 2 hours, but I didn't want to be a douche and play longer than that, as that goes into more stealing of the game to me. But next month I'll be buying it, and by then things should calm down and a patch released anyway.

I never really was hyped up about the game, barely read anything about it or saw videos or anything. So kinda hard to get disappointed when I wasn't one of those hyping it up to be the best game ever in the world. I did that to SPORE, and then everyone knows SPORE :P But the time I played, I had a lot of fun exploring, naming my planet and stuff. I'd like to see building later, and more things to do though. But building is supposedly gonna be put in.

The only two negatives I have are the stupid space fog. The pop-in is horrid because of it. And one of my top 3 pet peeves in gaming is terrible terrible pop-in of objects. Black Desert Online had the same issue. 

The other is I don't see the game being moddable. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I haven't heard anything about mods at all. That is one reason I'm so into Starbound, because of the epic mods for it.

With that said, I kinda like it more than Starbound (vanilla). Though I think Starbound with mods is still epic. Its like one poster said, take starbound and make it into an AAA game. And it kinda reminds me of SPORE space stage as well, but better. Granted again, that is only with a two hour playtime, since that is what I limit the time on "demos" (heh heh).

Well there is a 3rd negative. Why the heck don't games have demos these days. But that is every game, not just no man's sky.

(oh I should add. Performance for me wasn't bad, got like 35 FPS average. Which is better than I've heard a lot of people get. Didn't have any issues there. Though, I think my "demo" did not include online stuff that I think the game pseudo-uses...so that could be a part if the online features slow the game down)

But the game is pretty much my type of game. A big focus on exploration and roaming around, which is what I do in most games I play anyway. A lot of people don't like roaming around and exploring, but that is pretty much my #1 favorite thing to do. There is some combat, but didn't seem to be a big focus for that, which I personally like. So the game is made for someone like me, that just likes to explore and do random stuff. Once they put in building/construction or whatever it is, the game will be WAY better for me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:35:45 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 14, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »

Games do not have demo's because you have non ingame footage trailers! And paid for reviews on websites!
Demo's would remove your enjoyment of those trailers and reviews and might slightly possible stop you from pre-ordering it or even possibly buying it. Which will clearly not happen right?

For those that have played No mans Space for a while now. How's the grind?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 14, 2016, 04:55:23 pm »

It hardly feels like a grind since you're setting your own goals and accomplishing them, while learning more lore or having a laugh at some silly thing in the process.
However, to buy ships you need a TON of money. And that can feel grindy, especially if you do it like a friend of mine who just keeps mining stuff that has low yield (She has 3x more play time and I caught up with her easily).

So I can't really say how the grind is at later stages right now, but I will soon. My next ship will cost me 7-8 million, since I all the rare distress beacons (free ships) I find are horrible and sometimes look more like a trap than anything else.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 14, 2016, 05:00:36 pm »

It hardly feels like a grind since you're setting your own goals and accomplishing them, while learning more lore or having a laugh at some silly thing in the process.
However, to buy ships you need a TON of money. And that can feel grindy, especially if you do it like a friend of mine who just keeps mining stuff that has low yield (She has 3x more play time and I caught up with her easily).

So I can't really say how the grind is at later stages right now, but I will soon. My next ship will cost me 7-8 million, since I all the rare distress beacons (free ships) I find are horrible and sometimes look more like a trap than anything else.  :P

yeah the time I played, I just made my own goals and never felt like I was grinding. Most of my goals were to find exotic creatures on planets, cause that is my favorite thing to do. I know that one poster said it felt like a huge amount of grinding for him. But, for me, at least in the two hours I played, I just did what I set out to do. I'm sure there is some grind (like yeah the ships are really expensive), but I found just making goals and doing random stuff made it not feel grindy at all. Dunno later if that changes past the two hour mark, but I never felt it. Just the expensive ships kinda feel like the most grindy part, but I never worried about that in my "demo" and I probably wouldn't in the full game either. I'd just get the cash naturally.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 14, 2016, 05:27:35 pm »

Well there is a 3rd negative. Why the heck don't games have demos these days. But that is every game, not just no man's sky.

Games these days don't have demos because publishers did their research and found out that demos lose them sales overall because there are a lot of people buying games they don't like because they couldn't be bothered to do some research.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 14, 2016, 05:33:06 pm »

Games these days don't have demos because publishers did their research and found out that demos lose them sales overall because there are a lot of people buying games they don't like because they couldn't be bothered to do some research.

I still downloaded the game as a "demo". :P All it does is make people do what I do if they want to try the game. I didn't even know if the game was going to work to begin with, since No Man's Sky has issues with certain CPUs. Steam refund or not, wasn't gonna buy the game without knowing if it even works lol. So the only thing no demos accomplishes is people finding...different ways to try the game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 14, 2016, 05:56:15 pm »

TBH just sell Atlas stones too. It's free 56kish units each and you can always just jet about and grab ten if you really want to do the spoiler.

3. Run Resize Enable

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 14, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »

I actually decided to "demo" this real quick too just to check how it behaved on my laptop, thanks to all the concerns. ... Strangely enough I get 60fps outside of some hitches within the first minutes of starting up.

Weird.

Playing it for a little I guess I can see some appeal to it though, not sure it's something I'd pay the going price for.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:05:36 pm by Gunner-Chan »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 14, 2016, 06:56:47 pm »

Okay, despite being arcade-like, the space combat is actually decent fun once you've got an upgraded fighter. Lucrative, too, even with only six free slots I'm making 200-400k a run shooting up freighters/sentinels/pirates.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87