Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146212 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #780 on: August 12, 2016, 09:32:40 pm »

Anyone know if there's any sort of consequence for destroying sentinels? I just ended up having to fight a gauntlet of 20+ of them while trying to bash a building door open with melee because I couldn't be bothered to install an offensive weapon mod into my mining laser.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 12, 2016, 10:13:36 pm »

I got the startup crash too, which is fairly annoying.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 12, 2016, 10:40:52 pm »

Sean tweeted about this thread on steam forums, about support and bug fixing and stuff.
Still no definitive answer if people with older ATI cards will get a chance to play, but they are scrambling to fix the stuff.
If they say the game's not gonna be compatible with my current card, refund it is.  ::)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 12, 2016, 10:51:05 pm »

Anyone know if there's any sort of consequence for destroying sentinels? I just ended up having to fight a gauntlet of 20+ of them while trying to bash a building door open with melee because I couldn't be bothered to install an offensive weapon mod into my mining laser.
Pretty sure its just the threat of more coming. Anytime I've fought them, I've killed them all before theres anymore than 3.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:12 pm »

Damn No Man's Sky for targeting me right in my addiction...

I actually liked Spore's Space stage as flawed as it is >_<

Muuuust... resist... buying... will only... lead... to disappointment... (and REALLY EXPENSIVE!)

---

PFFT! had my first No Man's Sky crash

I was just watching someone play it on steam and BOOM crash!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:27:11 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 12, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »

Looks like that Sony QA team sure was worth having to cooperate with Sony, eh?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 13, 2016, 12:13:07 am »

Will gas giants appear in the game??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 13, 2016, 12:44:35 am »

Flew all around a few planets.  I couldn't see the sun, there were no moons, no barren planets, other planets in the solar system looked like they were closer than our moon.  Other bodies didn't seem to move in the sky.

The generation is really flat and boring, I didn't see any mountain ranges or forests or any kind of interesting terrain features, all the planets I went to were just a smattering of plants all over and short hills as far as you can see.  No cliffs, nothing that stuck out.  I figured it'd be fun to be Spaceman Spiff for a few hours but by the second or third planet I already felt like I'd seen them all.

It's interesting - my starting system has been quite varied in comparison to yours. Started on a lush but highly poisonous world, next few planets were: a lethally frozen wasteland (nights would get below -75C, at which point survival time was a couple of minutes at best) with minimal vegetation and nary an animal to be seen (yet for some silly reason a lively trading post), a craggy and sometimes mountainous planet with sparse vegetation but a wide variety of animals clogging the place, and a moon that was a warren of small lakes and almost spaghetti-like rock formations and sharp ridges - small amounts of fungal vegetation and no animals to be seen.

A space station was nested between two planets, with the sun hazy and distant (because space fog). Of the 5 planets I spotted so far in the starting system, one had two moons and one had a single moon.

I'll agree that from I've seen the generation tends towards the mildly hilly over flat or mountainous a little too often and there's a distinct lack of forest, but not too bad for just the starter system. Hard to tell if the points of interest depend on the planet, but so far I'd bet they generally don't. As others had said, I'm a little astounded that there's no cockpit look. And I can't map actions to my mouse 4 and mouse 5 buttons.

Traded for a ship at a station and the pulse cannon is stuck at 0% - I can't recharge it, but I can shoot it forever. Haven't found any signs at all of a multitool upgrade, which is rather vexing. I also said no to Atlas, so I suppose I'll see how that turns out.

As a person who pre-ordered but tried to pay little attention to the coverage I'm feeling 'okay' about it. Runs on my system (680 GTX, i7-3770, 12 gig ram - so good but not excellent), albeit with some of the settings turned own. Downloading the beta NVIDIA driver (thanks for the link) seemed to make a significant difference.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:35 am »

If the game has a seed like minecraft, could you post yours?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 13, 2016, 01:02:00 am »

Glad that NMS PC failed miserably. It should give valuable lesson to those who pre-ordered based on hype (and I may be guilty of this too with Star Citizen). Allowing bad launch on PC is killing PC gaming and it's up to the customer base to respond with their wallets.

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 13, 2016, 01:04:34 am »

Glad that NMS PC failed miserably. It should give valuable lesson to those who pre-ordered based on hype (and I may be guilty of this too with Star Citizen). Allowing bad launch on PC is killing PC gaming and it's up to the customer base to respond with their wallets.

PFT! Ahuh... Let me tell Creative Assembly to stop it! :P

Gamers are really apathetic >_< too much so sometimes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 13, 2016, 01:20:46 am »

Yeah sure. Ppl preordered Godus of all things, they'll never learn plus there's a sucker born every minute. Besides it hasn't failed by any means. It had a rough launch and issues gonna get patched. I see people complaining about bugs, so they're probably still thinking the mine change planet repeat loop is decent to warrant a wait.

Not for me tho, especially not at 60$

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 13, 2016, 01:24:34 am »

I wouldn't call it a miserable failure. It's got its technical problems for some people, and it might be suffering from consolitis, but then we've got the current internet echo chamber screaming about how this is the worst thing ever when I can clearly remember a lot of launches that went much worse than this without this level of vitriol. My performance is far from great and that's something they need to fix along with people's crashes(I haven't gotten any so far though), but I'm still enjoying myself. I won't know if I enjoyed myself enough for a 60$ price tag till later though.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 13, 2016, 01:25:59 am »

Also PLEASE there have been worse... WAY WORSE initial releases then this that took a month or longer to fix... and they still sold well.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 13, 2016, 01:26:14 am »

Oh no, I definitely wouldn't call NMS for PC or PS4 a miserable failure. I decided to buy it since I really suck at not buying any given game, and I'm having a relatively fun time with it.
Definitely not a great game, but it's okay. I can just see it getting old quick, though.'

And who cares about crashing, not being able to play, or 2 FPS? The worst problem with NMS is the fact that YOU CAN'T ALT TAB FROM IT RRRRGHHHHH.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 87