Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146213 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #810 on: August 13, 2016, 08:11:32 am »

This game repeats some of most obvious Spore mistakes, sadly, also I somehow feel like it's... an pre-relase, like alpha or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 13, 2016, 08:24:10 am »

you better stop criticising the game, Cthulhu, or FD will send you an insulting PM to try and stop you from posting like he sent to me

Jeeze, seriously?

Just more lies. I took our argument about advertising to PMs to stop shitting up the thread, and he repeated literally the exact same line that he repeated every time any time anyone questioned him about it "lol no they advertised it super strong" while ignoring reality and refusing to actually respond to anything I said. I said precisely one rude thing to him at the very end, because that's what he was acting like.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that he decided to drag that into public to try to get people to dogpile me, though.

Never mind that I've been blasting it for most of the same things that Cthulhu has, because those are actual real problems with the game rather than absurd fantasies that people cooked up to excuse hating the game.
--

On a more productive note, upgrading your pulse drive appears to slightly improve flight performance. It's still awkward and really lacking, but there's a bit less greased-bathtub syndrome when you roll or turn.

The official twitter says that they're testing fixes for some crashing hardware right now. Also their support page updated.

If you're using a high-end NVidia card, this driver is supposed to really improve performance.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:39:21 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 13, 2016, 08:53:43 am »

Would you say the GTX 950 counts as high-end? :I

* IronTomato is poor

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 13, 2016, 08:57:50 am »

Well..I have two friends that are ready to refund and are asking me if they should do it. Myself, I am still waiting for confirmation on the older ATI cards thing. I never had issues with any games before with it, and they magically adding the minimum ATI card on the release day (I think?) didn't really get any points with me.

Totalbiscuit video also helped me chill with it.
I've watched my friend's streams and ran the game on 2 FPS on an older notebook (with a nvidia card) and the engine issue where the FPS is synced up with everything else annoys me, so I might just refund and check it out in a few months.

And no matter how you put it, they screwed up the launch badly. It's not possible they were unaware of the glaring issues, so I guess they ran out of delays and Sony just said "do it".
I guess that's why Sean was so determined about free patches and content updates.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:13 am »

* IronTomato is poor
Don't feel bad, there's insane issues with GTX and intel cards at the moment... game runs at a smooth 60 fps on my AMD card till I talk to someone or get in my ship... and then disco-party lighting issue begins.  It's a damn good thing I don't have seizures cause this game would of killed me otherwise dear god was that bright, flashing and nauseating.
Nom nom nom

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 13, 2016, 09:01:22 am »

Procedurally generated disappointment.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 13, 2016, 09:06:54 am »

* IronTomato is poor

Don't worry, my old GTX 550Ti is faaar from being considered anything near high-end and those drivers helped a little. It's the first thing I did after launching the game and noticing it ran on opengl. I have to run it at 720p to get 30-40 fps and there's currently a bug which could happen randomly anytime I open a menu, hop into or out of my ship, or interact with anything that results in a UI change. When that bug happens I drop to ~10 fps and have to restart my game to fix it.

Edit: I had a look at the steam page and this made me laugh.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:22:41 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 13, 2016, 09:24:48 am »

* IronTomato is poor
Don't feel bad, there's insane issues with GTX and intel cards at the moment... game runs at a smooth 60 fps on my AMD card till I talk to someone or get in my ship... and then disco-party lighting issue begins.  It's a damn good thing I don't have seizures cause this game would of killed me otherwise dear god was that bright, flashing and nauseating.
Oh... Really? I watched a video of someone playing the game with a GTX 950 and it looked okay except for the fact that the game stutters every once in a while while walking around, like when playing Minecraft on an older computer or something. Although on the other hand he did mention he was showing the planet with the worst performance he could find.

* IronTomato is poor

Don't worry, my old GTX 550Ti is faaar from being considered anything near high-end and those drivers helped a little. It's the first thing I did after launching the game and noticing it ran on opengl. I have to run it at 720p to get 30-40 fps and there's currently a bug which could happen randomly anytime I open a menu, hop into or out of my ship, or interact with anything that results in a UI change. When that bug happens I drop to ~10 fps and have to restart my game to fix it.
Oh, that's a relief I suppose. That last part definitely isn't, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 13, 2016, 10:26:06 am »

Okay, just finished a couple hours of testing on my GTX970 with the G Sync turned off in the config and the beta driver I posted above. FPS was solid in the 70-75 range almost throughout, with the same very brief spikes down when first entering a planet's atmosphere or pulse-skimming around it, plus one or two during times where I was melee-boosting at the same time that I was fighting a bunch of sentinels on a planet with a bunch of water and glowing shit.

Definitely needs an optimization pass or ten, though. Rigs like mine are well in excess of their stated requirements.

3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 13, 2016, 10:32:59 am »

I was tempted by the preorder but a few recent fiascos (and the lack of an early bird discount) induced me to stay my hand. Glad that I did, too, for the look of things.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 13, 2016, 10:36:33 am »

Oh yeah. If you haven't bought it yet, don't. If you can't run it, don't wait until after the refund period goes away. I'm confident that they'll sort their shit out eventually, but there's no point in having $60 sitting around doing nothing while you wait for that. Especially if you weren't super-stoked on the core concept to begin with.

3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 13, 2016, 11:11:23 am »

Reportedly, the crashing is due to not having SSE 4.1 on your CPU. I don't know how anyone could be running it on a graphics card that meets the requirements and yet have a potato for a CPU, but maybe amd CPUs are shit? I don't know. (My i5-750 supports SSE 4.2, and it is not remotely recent. I got my GTX 460 at the same time, I believe, shortly after the 460 was released iirc.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 13, 2016, 11:23:37 am »

Apparently a lot of their crash reports were users playing under-spec. That, and they specifically mentioned old AMD CPUs. Probably people who don't even know how to look up their CPU specs and just assume that because their GPU is fine they'll be able to run stuff. :/

3. Run Resize Enable

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 13, 2016, 11:41:00 am »

CPU is definitely something you need to keep in mind here. I don't know if this game makes good use of multiple cores, most games don't really use more than one or two cores well, but my current placeholder(my pc recently died and had to be rebuilt) dual-core G3258 overclocked from 3.2ghz to 4.4ghz can run the game at 30+ fps but it's being pushed pretty hard. I wouldn't try anything below that. I wouldn't be surprised if some 3ghz quad cores had issues with it either.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 13, 2016, 11:44:37 am »

So, a friend of mine invited me over to play on PS4. I am completely sold. Holy crap, the game is gorgeous. It ran smoothly the whole time, no hiccups, no crashes, no nothing but good performance. There are some issues with pop-in, but draw distances have to be limited or the game will run like shit. I wanted a Triple-A version of Starbound, and it pretty much nailed my expectations. It's not perfect (flying and shooting mechanics kind of suck with a controller,) but I will dump a lot of time into it. Exploring is fun and well spaced, planets are enormous, and the atmosphere of the game is relaxing in general. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 87