Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146125 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #750 on: August 12, 2016, 03:00:01 pm »

I think launch crashes, other than the dumb redist crash a lot of people got, is really incompatibility with a ton of ATI hardware on their side.
I knew I should've switched to Nvidia as fast as possible.  ::)

Hopefully they fix their compatibility stuff, because there's a TON of people like me that didn't even get into the game. If they suddenly switch their minimum specs, that'll be an asshole move.
The folks from Planet Explorers did something like that - after a lot of people bought and complained about performance issues, they suddenly revealed you needed cards that could support certain technologies, and that wasn't going to change - but barely anyone noticed and they don't get a lot of attention anyway.  :P

E: Just noticed that if I launch the game, my AMD Control Center thing crashes and won't open until a restart. Woa.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:04:24 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 12, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »

well now they're out telling the game requires opengl 4.5, but hey the steam minimum spec line wasn't that off:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 12, 2016, 03:21:11 pm »

Good thing I'm getting this on console.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 12, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »

game eula is interesting as well

[you cannot] exploit the Game or any of its parts for any commercial purpose including, but not limited to, use at a cyber or internet cafe or any other location-based site

That's normal-ish for game eulas, they normally say you can't without permission because they want you to pay them extra or something for the right to offer their game in an unprofitable environment.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 12, 2016, 03:59:40 pm »

Aaaaand... pc release has been 'demo-versioned' already. At least that put the end to discussion about multiplayer being core part of the game. IMO such type of games (adventure) are as good playing yourself and watching a good streamer (which are very rare, and definietly aren't the ones with most watchers/subscribers). Will probably buy at some >50% discount, just for the collection. So far I don't even have time to play 'demo version'.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 12, 2016, 04:08:12 pm »

They released on GoG on the same day as steam, so they must've known it would happen.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 12, 2016, 04:30:59 pm »

Well... Good thing my hype was squashed when the two guys found each other, now it's just getting stamped into the dirt.
I'll probably pick this up once it is much cheaper and has 'died', exploring an abandoned, once thriving, galaxy is more my style anyway.

Hopefully they'll add building and stuff too, so I can explore the ex-home of the long gone colonist "XxXPUSSI_SLAYRXxX".

Edit:
Of course assuming they don't shut the servers down.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:51 pm »

And my refund went through. That was really fast. If way, WAY later this thing is both working and cheap I'll grab it again. Until then, I'm just glad I got my cash back.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 12, 2016, 04:50:53 pm »

I was originally planning on buying this today, but yeah. I'll wait a year or two for content updates and some technical fixes before buying it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 12, 2016, 05:02:50 pm »

Well..I'm waiting for a statement wether they'll make the game compatible with older ATI cards or not. Otherwise I'll have to ask for refund and play it in a few months once I change my card.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #760 on: August 12, 2016, 05:26:36 pm »

Yeah I think I am going to wait as well. Not because of the gameplay though. I think I'd go mad playing long with this interface. Also the game seems to run like shit.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 12, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »

I was thinking about getting it later on when it's cheap but after having a chance to play it I don't think I will.  Content updates won't do much, you're building fancy shit on an empty foundation.

Flew all around a few planets.  I couldn't see the sun, there were no moons, no barren planets, other planets in the solar system looked like they were closer than our moon.  Other bodies didn't seem to move in the sky.

The generation is really flat and boring, I didn't see any mountain ranges or forests or any kind of interesting terrain features, all the planets I went to were just a smattering of plants all over and short hills as far as you can see.  No cliffs, nothing that stuck out.  I figured it'd be fun to be Spaceman Spiff for a few hours but by the second or third planet I already felt like I'd seen them all.

Dunkey was right, it's all spaghetti sauce and no meatballs.  Adding more spaghetti sauce isn't gonna fix it.

It made me nostalgic for starbound.  YOu know a game's rough when it makes you want to play games you don't like.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 12, 2016, 06:16:21 pm »

Giving it a shot on PS4 tonight with a friend of mine. We'll see how it goes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 12, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »

I was thinking about getting it later on when it's cheap but after having a chance to play it I don't think I will.  Content updates won't do much, you're building fancy shit on an empty foundation.

Flew all around a few planets.  I couldn't see the sun, there were no moons, no barren planets, other planets in the solar system looked like they were closer than our moon.  Other bodies didn't seem to move in the sky.

The generation is really flat and boring, I didn't see any mountain ranges or forests or any kind of interesting terrain features, all the planets I went to were just a smattering of plants all over and short hills as far as you can see.  No cliffs, nothing that stuck out.  I figured it'd be fun to be Spaceman Spiff for a few hours but by the second or third planet I already felt like I'd seen them all.

Dunkey was right, it's all spaghetti sauce and no meatballs.  Adding more spaghetti sauce isn't gonna fix it.

It made me nostalgic for starbound.  YOu know a game's rough when it makes you want to play games you don't like.
I'm not gonna attempt to change your opinion, but I just played it for a good solid few hours and I had a pretty decent time. It's not the Messiah of gaming, no, far from it. But, I had a pretty interesting starting planet, with a bunch of different things going on, and the game just, in general, has been pretty neat. If I have any major criticism, it can be annoying walking from point to point, but that's nullified by just flying around planets on spaceship.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 12, 2016, 06:20:57 pm »

So far here's what I've noticed :

-The interface is clearly meant for console. Having to hold click or "e" to push buttons or interact with things is unwieldy. The ship won't let you do what you want and there are no vertical thrusters.

-Walking is too slow... I know that there's a way to go faster with forward+sprint+melee+jetpack, but it's very unnatural and I can't do it consistently (plus the jetpack runs out quickly).

-Being able to transfer stuff to your ship remotely is cool, considering how quickly we run out of space. I'd rather have a global max weight or max volume than the slot system though, even more so considering that some things don't stack and that upgrades can take inventory space.

-I don't mind seeing a few abandoned outposts now and then but having them peppered all over every planet without rhyme or reason is weird. The same apply to those loot boxes strewn around and the things that teach you words. Even more so when the alien race speaking that language is actually alive and well, but somehow decided that other races needed to learn their language one word at a time by running around random planets in some sort of easter egg hunt. I don't know, maybe it's more fun this way, but I like when things make sense.

-Sentinel robots everywhere ! Super annoying !

-Floating copper rocks. First I thought that it was some sort of artifact, but nope it looks like the world gen just forgot to connect the deposit with the ground. Or maybe the creator found that this bug looked cool visually (it does), and decided to make it a feature.

-Looked at that TotalBiscuit video and was disappointed to see how similar his planet and mine were. There are some minor differences, mostly in the fauna and how some rocks look, but most of it was almost identical, to the point where I wouldn't have noticed the difference if I was teleported there from my planet.

-Early game was a bit boring having to walk around trying to find some elements for repairs. I didn't like that the game kept asking me to redeem my stuff (slightly better starting ship). I eventually did once I left the planet and got to the first space station, only to discover that the ship came with an already installed hyperdrive, which was what I was supposed to be looking for and build next.

-Unrealistic space, as soon as I left the starter planet I was greeted by an endless field of tightly packed asteroids, seemingly spanning the whole solar system. Also, visibility was so bad that it looked like I was in an atmosphere. Meh. The distance between planets didn't seem to make much sense either.

-Now to end on a bright note, the game isn't that bad, it looks sorta good, it's quite playable and seems to have at least a decent amount of progression and things to do. Still, if I compare it to say, Subnautica, I'd say that Subnautica was more fun and enchanting as far as exploration go, but it will probably take more time to run out of things to do in No Man's Sky.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 87