Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 146068 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #690 on: August 12, 2016, 09:41:56 am »

Also, what the hell do Colbert interviews have to do with anything?

he asked where advertisement where ran and where hype came from. that's part of it. not only tv ad segments are advertisement, you know?

You're missing his point, this it NOT advertisement by sony/the devs, that's the "journalism" industry taking something popular and blowing it out of proportion on its own for the sake of money. And now some of the outlets will make a big deal about people being angry, making ridiculous claims that they can't back up with actual facts.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #691 on: August 12, 2016, 09:43:39 am »

You know that that article making a big deal of everything is most likely not the devs'/sony's fault. That editor writes for a website which makes money from views. He's not going to write a tame and tempered article. Journalists oversensationalize things that's just what they more or less always do when money is involved, it sells more. They're in the business of making everything into a big deal and often enough "embellishing" the truth to make it more interesting.
Yeah, I didn't even address it because it's an opinion piece written 2 years ago based loosely off some statements from the devs and mostly fueled by the editor's hopes. It's not a legit source of any credibility.

If that is the only thing backing up the "omg we were lied to!!" statement then I'm going to have to consider it specious.

except that's been literally every article about the game

sony hyped it up to shit and now they're dealing with the consequences. they shouldnt have sold a niche indie game as a big AAA title
Sony doesn't control what outside sources write about a game. I could make an article about Dwarf Fortress claiming it has space travel and aliens and genetic modification of your fortress denizens. Is it Toady's fault when people show up and cry that they were lied to?

I looked pretty hard for a credible source from the company or devs which make any of the claims people are so butthurt about being lied to over, and couldn't find one.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 12, 2016, 09:52:43 am »

The one claim I actually find dubious is the one about it being unlikely that people run into each other. The game guides everyone to the center of the universe. This means that everyone has to start within reasonable travel distance from there and everyone should eventually go to a relatively small part of the game if I understand it correctly. This is not a fact though, just my predictions based on what little info is available. We won't know for sure until later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:55:45 am by Ygdrad »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 12, 2016, 09:53:11 am »

You know that that article making a big deal of everything is most likely not the devs'/sony's fault. That editor writes for a website which makes money from views. He's not going to write a tame and tempered article. Journalists oversensationalize things that's just what they more or less always do when money is involved, it sells more. They're in the business of making everything into a big deal and often enough "embellishing" the truth to make it more interesting.
Yeah, I didn't even address it because it's an opinion piece written 2 years ago based loosely off some statements from the devs and mostly fueled by the editor's hopes. It's not a legit source of any credibility.

If that is the only thing backing up the "omg we were lied to!!" statement then I'm going to have to consider it specious.

except that's been literally every article about the game

sony hyped it up to shit and now they're dealing with the consequences. they shouldnt have sold a niche indie game as a big AAA title
Sony doesn't control what outside sources write about a game. I could make an article about Dwarf Fortress claiming it has space travel and aliens and genetic modification of your fortress denizens. Is it Toady's fault when people show up and cry that they were lied to?

I looked pretty hard for a credible source from the company or devs which make any of the claims people are so butthurt about being lied to over, and couldn't find one.
since when does df cost 60 bucks?

and obviously, since gaming journalism is a shining beacon of integrity, there is no chance sony was behind the amount of hype articles written about the game. nope, no chance at all.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 12, 2016, 10:00:58 am »

Sony doesn't have to throw money at them to hype things. The hype itself is their paychecks they're going to work it even if sony doesn't like it. Sony would only bother throwing money at them if the hype train was going the other way. Sony is most likely greedy and savvy enough to not waste money on something that is already doing its job.

The 60$ price tag is definitely Sony though. That's standard console pricing practice and was most likely something the devs didnt get a say in if they wanted sony's help and money. On the other hand, tehre's plenty of 60$ games that don't get you the playtime you'll most likely get out of this game if you like it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:05:22 am by Ygdrad »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #695 on: August 12, 2016, 10:03:18 am »

and obviously, since gaming journalism is a shining beacon of integrity, there is no chance sony was behind the amount of hype articles written about the game. nope, no chance at all.
The example can be applied to any game. If anything I would think you'd be mad at the people who wrote the articles. As for sony's involvement, that is just speculation on your part.

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 12, 2016, 10:05:15 am »

Most marketing is not advertisements, literally everything the company communicates about its product to potential customers is marketing and the most basic and important form of marketing (in addition to youtube and twitch "influencers" these days I suppose) for games is getting coverage in the press, and managing what and how things are covered by the press. Though E3 and such has become more consumer oriented in recent years, it's supposed to be an industry convention with games press people sitting in the audience, that stage doesn't come cheap. Stuff like that are huge parts of games marketing. Most games don't have TV advertisements and stuff yet still spend a lot on marketing, if only hiring a PR and marketing rep to communicate to press and consumers that's a sizable cost.

I keep hearing people calling this game "indie", I think that's absurd. I've never heard stuff like cities skylines or paradox grand strategies referred to as indies, even with smaller budgets and having a way smaller publisher and less PR. This game is published by friggin Sony, is multiplatform and had mainstage time at E3 several years, even disregarding the AAA price of this game compared to the cheaper earlier mentioned ones.

The game itself I honestly think looks very intriguing, but pretty far from "must buy now" intriguing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:06:54 am by LordKnows »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #697 on: August 12, 2016, 10:06:17 am »

It may have started off as an 'indy' game but it quickly blew up beyond that moniker.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 12, 2016, 10:13:00 am »

I seriously don't get what you're upset about. The vast conspiracy you seem to be alleging is Sony hyping a game that's sold on their system. What is the actual problem here?   

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 12, 2016, 10:23:30 am »

It may have started off as an 'indy' game but it quickly blew up beyond that moniker.

The team is indie, they just ended up accepting a deal from Sony so they could get funding. While the price tag may not be the usual indie fare, the game still is, Sony didn't give them extra employees or access to their in-house teams to help build the game. Sony gave them minimal funding to secure the publishing rights and then the game kept on being developed by a small team as far as I know. Technically they're not indie if you want to look at it from a funding point of view, but from a production standpoint they are.

The hype level has nothing to do with whether or not the game is indie. Mainstream media just relatively recently caught up and figured out that indie games are good business for them is all. We'll probably be seeing a bunch of other overhyped indie games from now on since it worked.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 12, 2016, 10:24:35 am »

I seriously don't get what you're upset about. The vast conspiracy you seem to be alleging is Sony hyping a game that's sold on their system. What is the actual problem here?   
im upset that the people who feel cheated are somehow in the wrong, instead of sony for massively overhyping the game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #701 on: August 12, 2016, 10:25:24 am »

I think he's implying that sony was behind the false claims and thus somehow culpable for everyone being upset over the 'lies'.

The team is indie, they just ended up accepting a deal from Sony so they could get funding. While the price tag may not be the usual indie fare, the game still is, Sony didn't give them extra employees or access to their in-house teams to help build the game. Sony gave them minimal funding to secure the publishing rights and then the game kept on being developed by a small team as far as I know. Technically they're not indie if you want to look at it from a funding point of view, but from a production standpoint they are.

The hype level has nothing to do with whether or not the game is indie. Mainstream media just relatively recently caught up and figured out that indie games are good business for them is all. We'll probably be seeing a bunch of other overhyped indie games from now on since it worked.
What?

"Indie" video games are video games created without video game publisher financial support. "Indie" or "Indy" stands for Independent. If you take a deal with a publisher and they support you financially you're no longer indie.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 12, 2016, 10:30:26 am »

What?

"Indie" video games are video games created without video game publisher financial support. "Indie" or "Indy" stands for Independent. If you take a deal with a publisher and they support you financially you're no longer indie.

What I'm saying is that funding source-aside, this game's development isn't different from your typical indie game. The term indie long transcended its literal meaning, like so many other labels. It's considered a genre/subset of games now.

im upset that the people who feel cheated are somehow in the wrong, instead of sony for massively overhyping the game.
They're not in the wrong for feeling bad about the game not being what they expected, that's natural. Where they're wrong is in making up stuff about it being sony/dev lies when it was in fact their lack of researching actual facts about the game that got them to buy a game they wouldn't like, they bought it blindly on hype and hearsay alone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:35:58 am by Ygdrad »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #703 on: August 12, 2016, 10:34:28 am »

What?

What I'm saying is that funding source-aside, this game's development isn't different from your typical indie game. The term indie long transcended its literal meaning, like so many other labels. It's considered a genre/subset of games now.
I'd argue against that because they got the benefit of Sony's marketing team and QA team, which is a massive help.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 12, 2016, 11:10:31 am »

Well, it's supposed to be out now, according to the timers. I know that this is rarely an accurate thing, but at least it's hilarious to watch the steam forums turn on themselves in desperation.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 87