Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145953 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #660 on: August 12, 2016, 06:29:34 am »

Okay miauw62, can you explain to me as someone who hasn't followed the advertising exactly what was advertised which has turned out to be false?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 12, 2016, 06:29:41 am »

I wonder if this game will even be piratable. Doesn't it use some sort of online component at its core to sync the world, like elite dangerous?
I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules and sorry in advance to toady if it is but, NMS is being released on GOG; GOG doesn't have DRM on it so it's probably day 1 Yarrrrr-able.
Nom nom nom

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 12, 2016, 06:34:26 am »

I tend to give every game a "free trial" before buying because no review or video can really tell me if I'll like the game and you can't trust demos. The steam refund thing can't really be relied on since a lot of games are so slow to start that you won't know if it's for you until you're past the refund limit. I strongly believe in voting with my wallet, and there's just no way to do that without knowing what I'm buying.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 12, 2016, 06:59:06 am »

For that reference the 1 hour play time on the steam refund is only for auto-refunds.  I've returned games with a lot more hours based on 'missing/lied about/broken content and such before.  Refunded Xcom The Bureau when I was on the last level cause the entire last level wouldn't load and they took it.
Nom nom nom

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 12, 2016, 07:37:04 am »

Okay miauw62, can you explain to me as someone who hasn't followed the advertising exactly what was advertised which has turned out to be false?
That's not the point. The point is that Sony has been hyping this game up a ridiculous amount since before it was even properly revealed at E3 2014. It's a niche game. They hyped it up and advertised it to mainstream audiences and made it seem like it had something for everyone. Of course people are going to feel cheated.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #665 on: August 12, 2016, 08:15:34 am »

I'm just asking what specifically has them feeling cheated. What as advertised that turned out to be false. I'm thinking about getting the game, but not if it's been falsely advertised so your claim interests me

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 12, 2016, 08:19:16 am »

I'm just asking what specifically has them feeling cheated. What as advertised that turned out to be false. I'm thinking about getting the game, but not if it's been falsely advertised so your claim interests me
Absolutely nothing. That's why he dodged the question every time I asked. It's literally just that the NMS devs said what the game was going to be, it was advertised as that, and then people imagined it being other things and are now trying to pretend that that's what it was claimed to be. All of Sean's interviews are up on Youtube and such, and a good chunk of the time in most of them is spent with him making it clear what the game isn't.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 12, 2016, 08:27:07 am »

That's not the point. The point is that Sony has been hyping this game up a ridiculous amount since before it was even properly revealed at E3 2014. It's a niche game. They hyped it up and advertised it to mainstream audiences and made it seem like it had something for everyone. Of course people are going to feel cheated.

I have literally never seen an advertisement for No Man's Sky so I have to assume this is the kind of pumping up that you only really notice when you specifically keep a finger on the pulse of this kind of thing. That seems like the exact opposite of marketing to everyone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #668 on: August 12, 2016, 08:30:34 am »

I'm inclined to agree. Once I became actually interested (~2 hours ago) I've done my own research rather than pay any attention to the whining which is happening EVERYWHERE. It doesn't seem like they promised anything more or less than what was delivered. Granted I have NOT played the game, I watched a few streams and reviewed a bunch of interviews posted a while ago.

Miauw62 made the statement, though, so I'd love him to back it up with something.

Building hype for a game is standard market practice. It isn't sony's fault if people built up unrealistic expectations beyond what was claimed. I don't know what refund policy you're referring to though when you say people can't refund the game. Steam's refund policy is pretty generous, and you can get refunds for games long after you've played them if you explain why. I've refunded several games on Steam without issue. If you mean refund policies from other distribution sources, I can't really speak to that unless you name one.

In any case, Miauw62 you say it 'turned out to be something else entirely'. What did it turn out to be, and what did you expect?

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 12, 2016, 08:31:51 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM

In simple words quantity over quality that is overpriced like shit. No wonder the game is getting so many low scores both from critics and players
Make love not war

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 12, 2016, 08:34:57 am »

I have literally never seen an advertisement for No Man's Sky

Woah, really?  I agree that the hype-train seems to be driving its self, but I'm getting them all over the darn place.

I mean, like annoying 1/2 screen ads that cover entire webpages with big video animations.  Only gotten worse since the release has drawn near.

Also that the pre-orders are heavily featured on the front page of Steam and Humble every single day and have been for i-dont-know-how-long.

And all those media outlets and game review sites are not talking about it for free.  Hell, it is even trending in my news feeds.  Not game news, like NEWS news.  I think I saw it on a TV commercial in a bar, even.

None of that is talking about or promising features, all that nonsense is coming from the self-driving hype train.  But someone IS dropping major dough on advertising.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #671 on: August 12, 2016, 08:36:45 am »

In simple words quantity over quality that is overpriced like shit. No wonder the game is getting so many low scores both from critics and players
I think that was already posted. Anyway, I don't really trust this guy's reviews. I have watched a few and he seems to form an opinion based on a very brief amount of play time. As an example, he originally called Last of Us 'generic zombie bullshit' (paraphrasing) and later admitted that he had been wrong once he revisited the game and spent some time playing it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 12, 2016, 08:41:43 am »

I have literally never seen an advertisement for No Man's Sky so I have to assume this is the kind of pumping up that you only really notice when you specifically keep a finger on the pulse of this kind of thing. That seems like the exact opposite of marketing to everyone.
i've seen ridiculous hype posts on image sharing sites like imgur basically every month or so. about a month ago i saw an advertisement on strawpoll for the game. also, journalism sites have been gushing about it for literal years. not tempered "this is interesting" articles, but serious gushing "THIS IS THE NEXT BIG THING!!!" articles. it's viral marketing. they succeeded in hyping their niche game up towards mainstream audiences, which is really scummy, and it backfired. am i supposed to have compassion for such an obvious moneygrab?

also, forsaken, i expected more or less exactly this game (which is why i didnt buy it). most people seem to have expected some sort of space mmo with an economy or something like that.

and really, this article is a pretty good example. it talks about all these things you can do in the game, and people will naturally assume that the game supports those things at least a little. except the only thing it really supports is flying around and exploring planets. but sure, TECHNICALLY they didn't lie, because you can play pretend that those things still exist, right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:43:50 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2016, 08:45:42 am »

I have literally never seen an advertisement for No Man's Sky

Woah, really?  I agree that the hype-train seems to be driving its self, but I'm getting them all over the darn place.

I mean, like annoying 1/2 screen ads that cover entire webpages with big video animations.  Only gotten worse since the release has drawn near.

My gods, get an adblocker. If not to block annoying ads, then to protect yourself against drive-by-downloads delivered through ad content networks. #SafetyFirst

I recommend uBlock Origin. It's far more efficient, computer-resource-wise, than adblock plus.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2016, 08:48:57 am »

I think that was already posted. Anyway, I don't really trust this guy's reviews. I have watched a few and he seems to form an opinion based on a very brief amount of play time. As an example, he originally called Last of Us 'generic zombie bullshit' (paraphrasing) and later admitted that he had been wrong once he revisited the game and spent some time playing it.

The thing is, most other reviews support the things he said, and that the gameplay is extremely shallow, repetitive and same, and I posted this video because its short and direct to the point what are the problems with  the game.
Make love not war
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 87