Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145711 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:19:52 pm »

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/

From game's site:

No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy. Whether a distant mountain or a planet hanging low on the horizon, you can go there. You can fly seamlessly from the surface of a planet to another, and every star in the sky is a sun that you can visit.
Where you’ll go and how fast you’ll make your way through this universe is up to you. It’s yours for the taking.

Explore uncharted solar systems and catalogue unique new forms of life. Every planet’s landscape is different from the next, and populated by species never before encountered. Choose whether to share your discoveries with other players. They’re exploring the same vast universe in parallel; perhaps you’ll make your mark on their worlds as well as your own.

I stumbled upon this game 2 days ago and the concept seems really cool.

It's supposed to be released in June 2015 for PS4 and a few months later for PC. The developers don't plan on releasing an xbox one version.

Info about gameplay gathered from trailers and interviews
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:32:06 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:28:35 pm »

I can't get hyped up for this after Starbound. I hope it'll deliver, but...
I'm also rather doubtful about the graphics, considering that this is getting a PS4 release.
And I'm very, VERY unhappy about the "player naming" thing. I guess we're going to have fifty gazillion instances of Alderaan, Alpha Centauri, Gaia, etc. And other offensive or uncreative names.

That said, it DOES look cool, so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:32:23 pm »

My impression is a reboot of Noctis with combat elements. Am I anywhere close?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:39:01 pm »

My impression is a reboot of Noctis with combat elements. Am I anywhere close?
Hm, you are pretty close indeed. Although this is multiplayer, but looks similar overall.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »

Oh, a procedurally generated space exploration game where the other planets aren't just barren rocks.

Colour me interested.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 02:59:33 pm »

Could be neat, but the only really interesting thing about this for sure right now is it's the only one of those procedural huge exploration games to be shown at E3, when they're normally just on greenlight or something. That indicates it has a budget, but I have no way of knowing they won't go the way of so many similar games and ultimately deliver an incomplete or shallow experience.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 03:14:38 pm »

Choose whether to share your discoveries with other players. They’re exploring the same vast universe in parallel; perhaps you’ll make your mark on their worlds as well as your own.
I didn't really find anything about MP on their webpage.
Is it a mmo?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 04:54:06 pm »

Choose whether to share your discoveries with other players. They’re exploring the same vast universe in parallel; perhaps you’ll make your mark on their worlds as well as your own.
I didn't really find anything about MP on their webpage.
Is it a mmo?
It is an MMO, but the chance of meeting other players is so low that you can treat it as Dark Souls in space. On a related note, I want to be able to meet up with my friends in some way.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 05:17:19 pm »

Could be neat, but the only really interesting thing about this for sure right now is it's the only one of those procedural huge exploration games to be shown at E3, when they're normally just on greenlight or something. That indicates it has a budget, but I have no way of knowing they won't go the way of so many similar games and ultimately deliver an incomplete or shallow experience.

This was just an indie 2 man project or something, and yep from it's original reveal in 2013(i posted about it here then) it got a big backer(Sony to make it PS4 exclusive 1st, then PC later on afaik) and loads of cash thrown behind it. And it's looking great, as to whether the gameplay will be compelling is a different matter.

RPS has done plenty of coverage on it, most recent article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/08/new-no-mans-sky-trailer/
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »

there is so much hype for this but so little actual show of gameplay or content

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 05:26:07 am »

I'd love to see them give it to a random person and let them play for 30 minutes. This would be much better than a choreographed trailer.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:50:34 am »

I'd love to see them give it to a random person and let them play for 30 minutes. This would be much better than a choreographed trailer.
why would they want to do that

better to just use time-proven mass manipulation technologies to pump up the hype

hype gets 90% of the sells

who needs to make real games when you can just make a dazzling image of the game?

and people will buy it even more than the real game itself - hell, they'll buy it even before they'll know anything about the game more than a couple of generic lines a la "minecraft + quake + battletoads combined into the one SUPER GAME"

people will preorder the game based on promises

so why would they need to spent effort and actually make a real good game?
._.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:27:04 am »

snip
I agree, LordSlowpoke in disguise.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »

I was following this with some interest until they mentioned that they generated the planets from scratch each time and din't save everything (Can't remember the source, but it was an official video/interview). Which IMO makes it less an exploration game, and more an observation game, where your interactions have no real effect. Course, I could just be misinterpreting it.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 87