Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 87

Author Topic: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore  (Read 145699 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky - 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets to explore
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 03:36:26 am »

Watching this interview, this game doesn't seem like it'll be up my alley. Basically, very little to no interaction with the environment, you can't customize/build ships, you can't build stations, you can't have multiple ships. He spends more of the interview talking about what you can't do than what you can. From what I can glean, it seems like what you can do is fly, explore, shoot and possibly trade indeterminate things. With or without other players.

Meh.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 09:33:04 am »

Where are you not playing Call of Duty? /s

Can we get a source for this info?
I think it was said in one of the interviews, I don't know which one.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 07:50:51 pm »

Really it feels like this game is going to be judged by me on a scale of "0 to Hazeron"
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 08:02:19 pm »

Really it feels like this game is going to be judged by me on a scale of "0 to Hazeron"
Agreed.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »

You'll be disappointed, I don't think anyone here knows exactly what they're making, but it's definitely isn't Hazeron. Set your upper bracket to Noctis and I think it will exceed it, but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think it'll be an empire building MMO.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 08:26:43 pm »

If I hear everyone saying that No Man's Sky is "as good as Hazeron," I'd want to avoid it, but then I got pretty fed up with Hazeron after a year or two of playing it and watching it just get less and less fun (and more and more buggy).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:44 pm »

Oh no, I'm not expecting anything from the game. It's just that I'll judge it post-release based on how close it is to Hazeron, according to others. I just think that the more similar to Hazeron it is, the more I would like it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 01:18:57 am »

Be nice if Hazeron rebooted.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 01:40:14 am »

I'll be honest... If all they have is a game that makes pretty pictures, and has flight mechanics that are a joy to experience... That might be enough for me. It seems there's even some combat elements, that might be fun.

I don't really need empire management or complex inventory screens or character builds, so long as the gameplay is smooth and pretty, since that is what this game wants to do.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 01:43:35 pm »

I guess this is the right thread.

No Man's Sky is now on preorder on Steam for 60$. Release date June 24.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »

Also, pre-order on GOG https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky

For $60 probably not. But definitely keeping an eye out for a sale.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 02:59:10 pm »

I really hope it hits the same sense of scale and uniqueness as Rodina.

Fuck I like Rodina, even if its literally just a custom-interior spaceship, six barren planets, and about 10,000 enemy vessels.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »

IMO, I think it will deliver in what they promised, not what the internet believes. I once said NMS had a very big chance to be like Spore, but Spore was different - it didn't come out with all the promised depth and the gameplay felt more like a toy. NMS though still has a lot of hyped people who think the game's Minecraft in Space, even though the devs probably stated the scope of the game on each and every event.

There's a list of confirmed features on Reddit that helped me to get an idea / remember / understand what's it about.
As I enjoy sandbox games that feature building and crafting, I kind of wish the scope was a bit broader. But as an exploration game, the features listed already makes it sound real fun.

I'm just wondering how faction and changes on planets will work. For instance, if you make a huge hole on a planet, will it still be there later on, or will it all reset after a few jumps? (Small changes like making a hole will be saved locally, larger changes like exploding space stations and exterminating species will be uploaded if played 'online')
Will other player's actions affect the economy/factions/landscape? Do NPC actions affect the gameworld?
Maybe they answered those somewhere, but I still haven't found definitive answers

It also seems that if you lose your ship, the cockpit is ejected and becomes your lifepod. FUN will be had.

And with the preorder you get yourself a starter ship. From the reddit post, it seems the non-preorder start is on a crappy lifepod.
Usually I'd prefer a hardcore start on a game like this, but if Elite taught me something is that there'll always be someone wanting to race everyone and spoil things. So if no terrible news is released this month, I'll preorder it and use the ship to jump away from spoilers.  :P

EDIT:
More info and previews have been posted yesterday and today.
Interview with Sean Murray - Playstation Access
No Man's Sky Hand's On - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:23:03 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »

I really hope it hits the same sense of scale and uniqueness as Rodina.

Fuck I like Rodina, even if its literally just a custom-interior spaceship, six barren planets, and about 10,000 enemy vessels.
And a spaceship that resembles a low poly turd.

I honestly have a feeling this will turn out like Elite and the other "MASSIVE WORLD" games, where its a million variations of the same few archetypes.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »

My hype is very real. I need a game to put a shit-load of time into on my ps4, so this one looks good.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 87