Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 164308 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #780 on: December 19, 2014, 08:54:06 pm »

• 2. FPS players are overwhelmingly male. 94% male Halo Reach in this survey. The Male brain is rewarded by such high-intense gaming more than female brains, male brains are literally wired to become hooked on this shit and be addicted. It's why men flood FPS genres, because it is their dopamine and opium all wrapped up in one.
I don't think the difference is necessarily to do with the brain differences between the genders. The brain is a highly plastic thing, and the burst of dopamine you get from performing a headshot is pretty much the same as completing a level in a puzzle game. I'll agree that men are more likely to participate in competitive gaming such as FPS or RTS simply because men are socially conditioned to be competitive, while women are conditioned more for co-operation. There's also merit in the argument that women are frequently turned off from console FPS games because of their toxic atmosphere, especially in games with voice communication. Everyone 'different' is going to get harassment in these games, but it's hard to remain the same as others as a woman unless you have voice-changing software, which is admittedly becoming more commonly available for this purpose.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 19, 2014, 08:55:13 pm »

Comic sans came from Watchmen.
Indeed. Comic sans is an okay font... For what it is. Use it beyond it's purview, and suddenly it becomes extremely aggravating. The same thing could happen to any respectable font: imagine if everything from birthday cards to default fonts on mobiles was Times New Roman?
I'd... actually be fine with that. Times New Roman is so classy. I don't hate comic sans, but it's just not that good, and has very few uses where it fits.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 19, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »

As well I HONESTLY do not include Candy Crush as part of "Games" if only because while Candy Crush is a game. It is like comparing Comic Books to Novels, just because they are both books.

Candy Crush is a highly successful video game, whether you want to believe it or not. :P

And The Dark Knight Returns is a highly successful Comic book... Watchmen is a highly successful Comic book. They are equal in both artistic integrity and depth to any novel.

Yet people who read novels and people who read comic books are exclusive... There are some run off and shared fans between the two, but not too much.

Maybe a better comparison would be that both novels and comic books are literature. So you could say that Candy Crush isn't a FPS game, but it is a puzzle game.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:34 pm »

But if you are saying women gamers, as a whole, only play Kardashian games... uhhh... no

While the numbers fluxuate a lot depending on the game (15% for highly violent games) the male to female ratio for genres tend to go from anywhere from 30%-50% female

That's not what I'm saying. That would be pretty stupid, all things considered.
Female games pretty much exclusively play those Kardashian-based games, so I'm not sure why you are saying they don't care about it.
You were refuting "female gamers in general don't care about Kardashian based games".  You were clearly saying that not only do they care, they play them to the exclusion of other games...

I do wonder what are the reasons why so few women play highly violent games.

One the one hand I can look at Grand Theft Auto and its no women except for prostitutes...

But 30% for no female characters is typical. 15% means something about Grand Theft Auto just outright turns women off.

Either that or it is just so overwhelmingly popular with men that it overpowers the demographic.
Probably same reason kids feel pressured to play with dolls instead of action figures, or vice versa.  Plus competitive multiplayer games tend to almost require voice chat, which means being the rare female - in a realm where the slurs flow easily - A perfect recipe for a self-fulfilling cycle.

Obviously all competitive gamers have to deal with stupid insults, but most don't have to deal with a ton of gross sexual attention and sexual threats.  I can definitely imagine wanting to leave.  I knew two women who played L4D versus with voice modulators just to throw off the stupider offenders.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 19, 2014, 08:57:48 pm »

Comic sans came from Watchmen.
Indeed. Comic sans is an okay font... For what it is. Use it beyond it's purview, and suddenly it becomes extremely aggravating. The same thing could happen to any respectable font: imagine if everything from birthday cards to default fonts on mobiles was Times New Roman?
I'd... actually be fine with that. Times New Roman is so classy. I don't hate comic sans, but it's just not that good, and has very few uses where it fits.
You have to admit, it would be sort of odd seeing it on a birthday card. It'd be like having the little message on the card being "DEATH HAS MADE ONE STEP CLOSER TO YOU"; it's just incongruous.
Thinking about it, that in Times New Roman would be a pretty good birthday card.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:59:25 pm by Fniff »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 19, 2014, 08:58:20 pm »

It isn't just that. There are plenty of puzzle games that attract a different audience then the Candy Crush audience (Professor Layton for example).

I am somewhat inclined to call Candy Crush a casual game... but that isn't exactly accurate. Though an App game might be another term.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 19, 2014, 08:58:41 pm »

You were refuting "female gamers in general don't care about Kardashian based games". You were clearly saying that not only do they care, they play them to the exclusion of other games...

No I wasn't.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:00:48 pm by Caz »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 19, 2014, 08:59:43 pm »

It isn't just that. There are plenty of puzzle games that attract a different audience then the Candy Crush audience (Professor Layton for example).

I am somewhat inclined to call Candy Crush a casual game... but that isn't exactly accurate. Though an App game might be another term.

So it's a different type of game because it attracts a different audience?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »

Ah, Caz edited.  That's still a hugely stilted interpretation which doesn't match with the point they were making, but I'll drop it  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 19, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »

So it's a different type of game because it attracts a different audience?

Basically that is what I am trying to say.

In a similar way that we once separated Facebook games from Computer games.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 19, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »

I'd say that it attracts a different audience more because it is a different type of game, not the other way around. If I had to list the reasons for picking a genre for Candy Crush type games I'd have to say that they:
1) Are designed to be played in very short bursts
2) Each burst is intrinsically separate (some have a general sense of level progression, similar to puzzle games, but each level is it's own tiny world)
3) Are often played on mobile phones (similar to console vs computer).
4) Is otherwise very similar to puzzle games

If anything I'd either call it something like a "casual puzzle game" for "mobiles" as a full genre term, or make up a new genre like "match-3" on "mobiles" for it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 19, 2014, 09:07:32 pm »

It's not the same as most puzzle games where there is a solution that you're meant to find. Really it's no more a puzzle than an FPS is, though what you are manipulating is less tied to real things.

It's more of a game to test your sense of pattern matching/predictive abilities.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 19, 2014, 09:08:56 pm »

Yeah, which is why my secondary choice was to make a new genre for it with "match 3" games (which checking the internet seems to be the commonly used one).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 19, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »

Candycrush is also a freemium pay to win game.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 19, 2014, 09:10:22 pm »

Basically that is what I am trying to say.

In a similar way that we once separated Facebook games from Computer games.

Eh, I suppose you could, but... I don't really how you could enforce it. Is Tetris a video game? It's a puzzle game with arguably less content than Candy Crush. Is Candy Crush not a game because it was first available on mobile? Are games on a mobile games console (3DS, Gameboy etc) 'real' Games? What about console games? I think it's too arbitrary a classification to use.

Ah, Caz edited.  That's still a hugely stilted interpretation which doesn't match with the point they were making, but I'll drop it  :P

I think you just misunderstood me.

I'd say that it attracts a different audience more because it is a different type of game, not the other way around. If I had to list the reasons for picking a genre for Candy Crush type games I'd have to say that they:
1) Are designed to be played in very short bursts
2) Each burst is intrinsically separate (some have a general sense of level progression, similar to puzzle games, but each level is it's own tiny world)
3) Are often played on mobile phones (similar to console vs computer).

Tell that to my uncle who can consume the day moving those damned candies about. :P In a similar idea, FPS and RTS games are also designed to be played in 'short bursts'. They're separated by levels, or matches, which allow you to play the game for 20 minutes or so before doing something else. Just because people binge on it for 10 hours doesn't make that any less true.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 125