Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 164295 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #765 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »

One the one hand I can look at Grand Theft Auto and its no women except for prostitutes...
What? There's plenty of non-prostitute women in the GTA games.

Yeah sorry, I fell into a stupor. It is just so easy to forget women exist in that game.

Especially with the latest one.

So it has women... but 15/85 f/m ratio means that the game is either super attractive to men or repellant to women.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:39:51 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 19, 2014, 08:39:21 pm »

Female games pretty much exclusively play those Kardashian-based games

I... What. Okay. That's so wrong.

I refuse to accept you -actually- believe that, Caz. Because holy shit, that's the narrowest view I've seen out of this thread.

"Core gamers", the total number of players who play on Console and PC games (not those shitty little Kardashian games, or any smartphone games) comes out to 40/60 Female/Male.

I dare you to find me a "kardashian game" with a large fanbase on a console. That has a disparity large enough to account for the 40/60.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 19, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »

I refuse to accept you -actually- believe that, Caz. Because holy shit, that's the narrowest view I've seen out of this thread.

"Core gamers", the total number of players who play on Console and PC games (not those shitty little Kardashian games, or any smartphone games) comes out to 40/60 Female/Male.

I dare you to find me a "kardashian game" with a large fanbase on a console. That has a disparity large enough to account for the 40/60.
If you are saying that exclusively women play Kardashian-based games, as in men won't play them... fair enough
Yeah, most of the time this is almost universally true.
You're welcome.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:08 pm »

If you are saying that exclusively women play Kardashian-based games, as in men won't play them... fair enough
Yeah, most of the time this is almost universally true.
You're welcome.

Given. That was hidden under "12 new replies since".

Also,

Women outnumber men when it comes to RPGs and are at least 1/3 of all FPS/MMO gamers.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »

If you are a male that enjoys playing those Karsdashian games, then I apologise, but I did say "pretty much" exclusively, it's not a 100% thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »

I dare you to find me a "kardashian game" with a large fanbase on a console. That has a disparity large enough to account for the 40/60

The Sims... with its largest demographic being teenage girls.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 19, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »

I do wonder what are the reasons why so few women play highly violent games.
If I had to make a guess it would be a base psychological difference. Hormone differences and whatnot mean that (in a broad sweeping generalization espoused by my psychology 101 textbook) males tend to be more aggressive than females in general. This, combined with other differences such as (another generalization) female brains having more area dedicated to social aspects, could very easily lead to more male participation in violent, player vs. player type games, while there is more female participation in games such as social turn-based games, endless runners, management games, and so on.

And yeah Caz, that's exactly the type of narrow mindedness and broad generalizations that got the thread locked a while back (albeit a bit less hostile in it's portrayal).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #772 on: December 19, 2014, 08:43:58 pm »

Most of my posts aren't meant to be incendiary, and a lot of it has to do with the audience I am speaking to versus the audience I am used to speaking to.
You'll adjust, most of us were in the same sort of boat on this forum.

They appeal to women. They spend millions every year on marketing research in order to find out who they can better exploit. That is why mobile game apps are marketed towards women. Candy Crush. The infinity bingo apps. Kim Kardashian's Hollywood adventure. Enough said.
Did you seriously say this? Really?
Yes MOST women totally play those games. Anytime I am put in front of an FPS I get confused and just stare at the keyboard, my small brain can't handle it. Then I go back to playing Bejeweled list most of my gender.
Also Kim Kardashian is awesome! I watch that show ALL the time! =^___^=
Honestly, I don't think that post deserves a serious response.
You're not in the mood of serious responses seeing as how so far you've addressed a sum total of none of my points.
You are a misogynist with poor taste in games if you actually hold women in such disdain for liking what you don't. Would you make strawmen too if women made up the majority of tetris players merely because the tetris screen wasn't drone striking scrubs in PC master race HD vision?! Why are you ashamed of women for making up the majority of this market? Do you hold hold mobile app games in less regards or something? Do you hold FPS's as the pinnacle of gaming? The FPS genre is the genre most rife with man pandering. COD is the Kim Kardashian Hollywood adventure of the FPS scene. You're the one saying women are idiots for playing these games, your choice of words are literally unfathomable.
  • 1. Women aged 24-45 are the game's largest and loyalest demographic of Candy Crush.
  • 2. FPS players are overwhelmingly male. 94% male Halo Reach in this survey. The Male brain is rewarded by such high-intense gaming more than female brains, male brains are literally wired to become hooked on this shit and be addicted. It's why men flood FPS genres, because it is their dopamine and opium all wrapped up in one.
  • 3. Kim Kardashian's Hollywood adventure topped Itunes #1 spot. It didn't get there by being a hit with men. You probably loath Kim Kardashian as much as I do, but you cannot deny this was marketed to women and consumed by women. As Grakpope said, you were arguing that big game developers weren't marketing or appealing to women. They are, they've invested their money and put their businesses on the line and the successes they come up with are in casual mobile app games.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 19, 2014, 08:44:19 pm »

If you are a male that enjoys playing those Karsdashian games, then I apologise, but I did say "pretty much" exclusively, it's not a 100% thing.

See. I thought what you were saying was the majority of female players played those games exclusively. Oops :P

Got some sweet articles out of the search though.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 19, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »

And yeah Caz, that's exactly the type of narrow mindedness and broad generalizations that got the thread locked a while back (albeit a bit less hostile in it's portrayal).

I dunno, I think it's more that people are skipping their reading comprehension to jump directly to outrage. I never said what a couple of people are implying.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 19, 2014, 08:45:52 pm »

• 2. FPS players are overwhelmingly male. 94% male Halo Reach in this survey. The Male brain is rewarded by such high-intense gaming more than female brains, male brains are literally wired to become hooked on this shit and be addicted. It's why men flood FPS genres, because it is their dopamine and opium all wrapped up in one.
Women outnumber men when it comes to RPGs and are at least 1/3 of all FPS/MMO gamers.

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 19, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »

/generalizing

If we're going into the psychology, I'd point out that it's a certain type of aggression men tend to display more. Men tend to act aggressively outside of social norms/structure, women are fairly equally aggressive, it just tends to be done in socially constructive ways that strengthen bonds between the participants.

-

Personally I would like deeper male and female characters in games. I'd also like us to continue to have a sense of humor, so I don't want the scantily clad or ridiculously porportioned characters to go away, but some parity between the Codpiece of Girth and the Minikini of Agility would be nice.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 19, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »

As well I HONESTLY do not include Candy Crush as part of "Games" if only because while Candy Crush is a game. It is like comparing Comic Books to Novels, just because they are both books.

Candy Crush is a highly successful video game, whether you want to believe it or not. :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 19, 2014, 08:52:50 pm »

Well asides from that article not actually SHOWING us the survey results (seriously what is that), it did link to a blog post which reads hilariously like a Reddit childhood story about how much of a niceguy™ they are.
I dressed like a tomboy in elementary school, swinging by boys’ houses and hoping that would validate me enough so I could play a game of Mortal Combat or be the Bulls in NBA Jam
After years of spectating, hoping for boys to invite me into their inner-circle of gaming,
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 19, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »

As well I HONESTLY do not include Candy Crush as part of "Games" if only because while Candy Crush is a game. It is like comparing Comic Books to Novels, just because they are both books.

Candy Crush is a highly successful video game, whether you want to believe it or not. :P

And The Dark Knight Returns is a highly successful Comic book... Watchmen is a highly successful Comic book. They are equal in both artistic integrity and depth to any novel.

Yet people who read novels and people who read comic books are exclusive... There are some run off and shared fans between the two, but not too much.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 125