Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1  (Read 14759 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2015, 04:17:54 pm »

OK so guys I am new to tea. How do I make it not taste like gross flavored hot water? I feel like I've tried everything people have told me, but I still can't make tea that tastes good to me.

If you want to try green tea (much more mild flavor and not nearly as strong as black tea so less grossness to overcome with things) you can add a lot of stuff that mask it's tea flavor. I usually add honey, raw sugar, lemon juice, normal sugar, or some other sweetener. Also to create less tea flavor that needs to be over powered you can steep the tea for a shorter period of time, though that will just make it lightly flavored boiled water so your call on that one
If you need to mask the tea flavor, you should consider switching beverages...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2015, 06:10:12 pm »

OK so guys I am new to tea. How do I make it not taste like gross flavored hot water? I feel like I've tried everything people have told me, but I still can't make tea that tastes good to me.

If you want to try green tea (much more mild flavor and not nearly as strong as black tea so less grossness to overcome with things) you can add a lot of stuff that mask it's tea flavor. I usually add honey, raw sugar, lemon juice, normal sugar, or some other sweetener. Also to create less tea flavor that needs to be over powered you can steep the tea for a shorter period of time, though that will just make it lightly flavored boiled water so your call on that one
If you need to mask the tea flavor, you should consider switching beverages...

Well they asked how to get rid of the disgusting flavor they normally associated with tea so I just suggested things that mask it pretty well for green tea (I hate black tea for the same reason Alley doesn't like tea that much)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2015, 05:37:36 am »

How does one enjoy tea with terrible sense of smell?

I have always been a tea-drinker but back at home I get the really strong-smelling ones. Problem is, the tea I get from school catering here disappointingly smell like steam. Should I buy my own tea or should I use more or less water?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:26 am »

Bring your own tea. Your school's likely shit.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2015, 09:09:40 am »

How does one enjoy tea with terrible sense of smell?

I have always been a tea-drinker but back at home I get the really strong-smelling ones. Problem is, the tea I get from school catering here disappointingly smell like steam. Should I buy my own tea or should I use more or less water?
Try Souchong or some other smoked teas. Those smell real strong, plus, they're tasty.
As for cafeteria tea, as far as I'm familiar with cafeterias, there's no cure. 'Brownish water' is the best you get.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2015, 02:44:51 pm »

I thought of a way to make insta-icetea.

Take black tea - proper tea, not bags! Those are basically the stuff that wasn't even good enough for the poorest Chinese peasant - in fact, the peasant swept their contents off the factory floor. Take a couple tablespoons of tea leaves - around four, I'd say - and put in a pot holding about 250 - 300 ml. Pour in the boiling water, let it sit for four minutes, five is, in this case, alright too. Some people do things like scalding the teapot, or filling half first, then the other half after a few minutes - whether that makes a difference, nobody knows. Anyway, this is zavarka. You can dilute it with hot water in any proportion you like - just don't drink it neat. Also don't let it sit for more than a day.
Do that. Then sweeten zavarka with sugar while it's still hot, make it unbearably sweet, several times more than you usually put in your tea. Add some lemon juice (or add it later in the water). Now make ice bricks of sweetened zavarka. Put in the freezer and anytime you feel like iced tea take a few bricks and put them in a glass of water.

I had zavarka that sit too long and made this out of it. Feels good man.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2015, 02:47:11 pm »

I usually drink a tea brand called "Scottish Blend" with milk and sugar. I think on average I drink about 5 or 6 mugs of it a day, 4 when I'm too lazy to make it. I really should wean myself off it so I don't get diabetes or something.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:53:23 pm by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2015, 02:48:58 pm »

Huh, a friend of mine independently had an idea like that, Comrade. I think she was just going to use cold water though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2015, 05:37:54 pm »

What a good time for this thread to be resurrected, I just got the tea I ordered.

In addition to the normal teas, I ordered some "moroccan heat" tea, which is green tea, mint.... and mombasa peppers. The mint and peppers make for a very strange sensation when drinking it, but it's pretty good. It's rather spicy but the heat does not linger very long.

I also ordered some yerba mate since it seems like the new crazy fad and I figured I might as well try it. it's like... well, hmm.... green tea, mixed with a little coffee mixed with a lot of wood. Surprisingly enjoyable though, it's stronger then black tea but not quite as strong as coffee so I can drink a couple cups in the morning without worrying about drinking too much caffeine. I was surprised, it's better than I thought it would be - I'll probably end up ordering more.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »

I'd like to try the moroccan heat one. It sounds like it fits my taste profile pretty well.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

I ordered it from here. I don't know if there's any other websites that offer anything similar.

They only sell it loose leaf so if you don't have an infuser you will have to buy one, or buy some bags to stick it in.

Edit: Or strain it through your teeth like a manly man, I guess
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2015, 05:09:03 am »

Huh, a friend of mine independently had an idea like that, Comrade. I think she was just going to use cold water though.

That means it works not just for me, which is great!
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2015, 09:14:16 am »

I'm currently drinking a mug of chamomile and vanilla tea, no milk or sugar. It's... strange. A little like drinking heavily scented hot water.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2015, 10:09:10 am »

A little like drinking heavily scented hot water.
Herbal tea is always like that. Maybe you can try to add some lemon?

I started gathering tea-flowers. Oregano is blooming already. Now my room (where I  dry the herbs) smells witchcrafty.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2015, 10:18:28 am »

Every summer I make big stockpots full of lightly sweetened black or green tea, and throw it in the fridge. Not quite the level of tea appreciation that some of the people in this thread have, but I enjoy it :P

As a treat, I occasionally have bubble tea. There's a place that does it just the way I like it on the way home from work.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13