Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1  (Read 14746 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:52 pm »

As an aside note, "worming" refers to the procedure of getting rid of intestinal parasites. And "worming tablets" are antihelminthic medicine. So you'd need a lot of rum, and you'd have to take it from the other end, IYKWIM.
Isn't that de-worming, though? Unless you're shoving predator worms up your animals' asses, which would be pretty badass.
I would consider that pretty disturbing more than anything else.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2015, 06:16:22 pm »

Uh, guys? Derail much? One typo led to this?

What do worm enemas have to do with tea appreciation? :P It's simply silly.

Does anybody here enjoy frozen tea? Is there a such thing?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:46 pm »

I can comferm green tea and coffee mixed make a great pick me up. Made a cup thismorning and took it with me (drank it with an apple fritter) one the mix tastes great and hardly needs any sweetener at all and two it has kept me awake all day. Definitely helped keeping me awake enough to think during pre-calc final today
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »

I love Irish Breakfast tea with a bit of milk, great way to get a gentle kick to keep you awake at night without overdoing it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2015, 12:15:41 am »

I tried green tea with orange and ginger yesterday. It went really well with a blueberry muffin, I tell you.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:02 am »

Uh, guys? Derail much? One typo led to this?
I can comferm

Grammatik macht frei
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2015, 01:07:35 am »

OK so guys I am new to tea. How do I make it not taste like gross flavored hot water? I feel like I've tried everything people have told me, but I still can't make tea that tastes good to me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2015, 01:38:48 am »

Take black tea - proper tea, not bags! Those are basically the stuff that wasn't even good enough for the poorest Chinese peasant. Take a couple tablespoons of tea leaves - around three, I'd say - and put in a pot holding about a liter. Or just cover the bottom of that pot with tea leaves, that's how I measure it. Pour in the boiling water, let sit for four minutes - not five! That makes gross too-strong stuff. Three minutes can be good too, if you're into weaker stuff - I've heard that shorter times give a stronger caffeine kick, though. After the time's up, strain through a sieve into your tea container of choice: A tea pot would be the traditional option. If you're gonna be drinking that tea over a longer time, keep that pot hot using a candle. Tea sitting in a tea pot for a while does get stronger though, that's called 'after-steeping' in German. No idea what it's called in English.

Add a tiny bit of sugar. Not enough to make it sweet, just enough to take the edge off. A splash of lemon is nice as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2015, 08:06:40 am »

Take black tea - proper tea, not bags! Those are basically the stuff that wasn't even good enough for the poorest Chinese peasant - in fact, the peasant swept their contents off the factory floor. Take a couple tablespoons of tea leaves - around four, I'd say - and put in a pot holding about 250 - 300 ml. Pour in the boiling water, let it sit for four minutes, five is, in this case, alright too. Some people do things like scalding the teapot, or filling half first, then the other half after a few minutes - whether that makes a difference, nobody knows. Anyway, this is zavarka. You can dilute it with hot water in any proportion you like - just don't drink it neat. Also don't let it sit for more than a day. Good additions to tea include milk, cream, a slice of lemon (just not at the same time), honey, or maybe berry jam. Put in as much sugar as you like. "I drink tea without sugar herr derr" is just shallow and pedantic. I personally add milk and ~3 teaspoons sugar.

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2015, 08:42:32 am »

Today I learned bricks of tea were accepted as edible money in Siberia up until WW2.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:16 am »

Googleing 'zavarka' yields a hit from drugs-forum.com as the second result. And it's a good read too. Damn, I love Russia~
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:55:15 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2015, 11:33:06 am »

Today I learned bricks of tea were accepted as edible money in Siberia up until WW2.

Generally barter trade was a thing over there.

Googleing 'zavarka' yields a hit from drugs-forum.com as the second result. And it's a good read too. Damn, I love Russia~

I call BS. That one time when I was 13 I drank somewhat half a kettle of zavarka (it was poured in a cup and I mistaken it for diluted version, tea, that is) and there was no trip. Maybe I just built a natural immunity through years of consumption, though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:45:37 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2015, 01:48:53 pm »

I tried your recipe a few hours ago, Avis - it'll certainly be incorporated into my diet. That stuff was easily in the top 30% of all tea I've had once I got the dilution right.
The Bay12 postcard club

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »

OK so guys I am new to tea. How do I make it not taste like gross flavored hot water? I feel like I've tried everything people have told me, but I still can't make tea that tastes good to me.

If you want to try green tea (much more mild flavor and not nearly as strong as black tea so less grossness to overcome with things) you can add a lot of stuff that mask it's tea flavor. I usually add honey, raw sugar, lemon juice, normal sugar, or some other sweetener. Also to create less tea flavor that needs to be over powered you can steep the tea for a shorter period of time, though that will just make it lightly flavored boiled water so your call on that one
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2015, 04:12:12 pm »

Nah, those are two different zavarkas. The drug that is sometimes called 'zavarka' is generally known as chifir, and it's not just very strong tea - it's very strong tea that has been boiled for some time, and it was consumed in very specific ways. It was a prison/work camp staple in the olden days.
In normal Russian, though, zavarka is just regular tea concentrate. The name being used for chifir is just inmate humor/analogy.

E: read the actual article. Huh. I must confess to being very sceptical towards regular zavarka's ability to cause any of these effects. I always believed that chifir was sometimes referred to as zavarka, which confuses matters.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:48:15 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13