Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1  (Read 14698 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Discussion Thread: Chapter 1
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »

Yes, chai is typically very bitter, indeed, if sugar is omitted for some reason. Even if you like your tea black, you'll want a bit of sugar in chai to bring it back to similar levels of bitterness, in my experience. Condensed milk works well for providing sugar and dairy all at once.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

Well, I had in a tsp of honey, and no milk. I can't stand dairy in my tea, probably because I'm used to herbals. :P I also got to try a (caffinated) coconut tea, a (herbal) berry tea, I gave earl grey another try, there was a jug of iced tea (from powder) so I drank a bunch of that bunk, and there was a roibos peach tea that was definitely oversteeped.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »

Depends on the chai, I guess. You could make some from scratch and compare.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2015, 11:30:46 pm »

Irish breakfast with milk and honey. Somewhere around 1 tablespoon honey and 4:1 ratio water to milk. Masala chai is good with the same setup as Irish. I can take a peppery chai. Lemon tea is great. I'm less fond of commercial honey and get readily available local fireweed and raspberry honey. Cow milk is good and I haven't found a good rice milk. I haven't had Earl Grey in forever.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2015, 12:10:18 am »

local fireweed and raspberry honey.
Oh, that sounds amazing. As far as a tea additive, is it a lighter-but-sweeter flavor? Does it dissolve well?

That's the main problem I've been having, besides bitterness. My honey/other sweet source rarely wants to dissolve into the tea, and when it does, it's usually something that is very processed and tastes that way too.
The Cyan Menace

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2015, 10:15:11 am »

I can barely stand clover honey anymore. It's often cut with non-honey and just too sweet. I use more wildflower, blackberry, fireweed honey per cup than clover. Not a ton more, but noticeably more. It's best to be local anyway with my allergies. I don't touch raw or in the comb. Strained dissolves really well and I've never had it taste bitter.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2015, 02:34:47 pm »

I just gave tea prepared Russian-style (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, except that this type isn't chifir and that it maybe starts with a k) a try, and it's pretty good.

Since I'm lazy and not Russian, how it actually went involved a teabag (yes, yes, heresy, blah blah) in just more boiling water than needed to cover it and a thirty-second boil in the microwave. Works quite well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2015, 11:07:56 pm »

I have a guilty pleasure. I found Keurig Cups of Twinning's Goodnight Blend, and because it makes it damn near impossible to oversteep and is so easy to make, I've been drinking lots of it this past week. It's so good.

But I feel guilty because it's not real enough. No loose leaves, no tea bag that sits in the cup/pot, just a single, sinful press of an easy button.

But it's soooo good. Chamomile, spearmint, citrus, oh my so warm and soothing...
The Cyan Menace

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2015, 06:36:00 pm »

Just saying, don't put pickles in tea

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2015, 06:39:30 pm »

Just saying, don't put pickles in tea
Don't you be telling me where to put my pickle, young man!
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2015, 01:07:35 am »

Just saying, do put pickles in tea
FTFY.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2015, 10:01:34 am »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]