Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163901 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1620 on: July 07, 2015, 08:54:23 am »

Any report on the MkIII-A/MCP-3A?

Ah, no, must've missed you asking for council input, sorry. Do we just need to look it over and price it?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: July 07, 2015, 09:10:21 am »

Recheck that it still holds up to balance standards, yes. We worked the pricing and details out with PW before, but I figure it needs a final check before entering the Armory.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: July 07, 2015, 09:15:58 am »

Huh, could you bring up the writeup you had made earlier? I'd like to review it's effective characteristics and possibly suggest to push for its price to get lower;)

Also, for the sake of uniformity, could you name it accordingly whether it is based on Mk suit or MCP technology ("baggy" suits, danger of explosive depressurisation unless CPSU worn vs. skin-tight stiff suits)? I think it would save a lot of confusion that way.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: July 07, 2015, 09:32:31 am »

Huh, could you bring up the writeup you had made earlier? I'd like to review it's effective characteristics and possibly suggest to push for its price to get lower;)

Also, for the sake of uniformity, could you name it accordingly whether it is based on Mk suit or MCP technology ("baggy" suits, danger of explosive depressurisation unless CPSU worn vs. skin-tight stiff suits)? I think it would save a lot of confusion that way.
See my last Heph action, I think I provided most of the details there. I could go hunt for the actual writeup though.

Some extra details I'd like to sneak in - specialized slot for a compact parachute, and an explosive bolt system that will jettison both ducted fan assemblies if one is damaged.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: July 07, 2015, 12:31:13 pm »

I found the writeup for the MkIII-A:

From here, with IRC logs.

It mentions the suit being able to theoretically crash in a controlled manner when one of the fans is shot out, but I still think that explosive bolts and parachute are the safer option.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: July 07, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »

@tryar: there were some questions/remarks from the council:
-it might be better to figure out the delivery system sub-cost, then decide payload prices. So basically, determine the cost of an 'empty' shell, and then figure out prices on top of that for the payload (AP, nuclear, ...) A Reason quoted: "HGC 1/16th kiloton shells cost the same as HEAT (designated "AP" instead) shells (and, generally, cheapest for nukes - 1 per token).

Now, of course, if we start talking about more powerful yields, that's a different question... and that's where I'd suggest using that "delivery" part cost (1 token? 2 token because miniaturised shielding?), and simply add to the bomb price. A simple and easy to follow rule of thumb, and makes sense."

Also: "Also, what's the caliber of HGC? If it's more than 60mm, I'd say we should deny nuclear payload unless extra tokens spent on making things more intricate and miniaturised (and he probably wouldn't want that)."

Finally, could you perhaps dig up and show us the previous full write-up for the kugelblitz? There was some ambiguity on the exact delivery systems characteristics.

Sorry for giving you all that work.

@sean: we are working on/discussing your suit, thank you for digging that up again (maybe put it on the wiki somewhere for later convenience?).

Vat as in 'tank where sharmist grows'? Sure, if you wish it added to armory list proper. Kinda don't see its particular usefulness on its own, more likely as a part of something, so maybe just put them off somewhere as 'misc' equipment for further tinkering/to be ordered as a special/non-standard item? I'm pretty sure we have them mass-produced for our own inner manufacturing uses on Hephaestus, so the cost reduction would still be implicitly present.

There seemed to be interest in that, for what that's worth. So, shall I do a quick write-up?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:26:26 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1626 on: July 07, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

@RC: I'm pretty sure Nik did not understand that you meant the limb vat. Should probably explain that.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:14 pm »

@RC: Here's the original writeup of the launcher:

Kugelblitz GML

Stat reqs: Exoskeleton STR and +0 aux
Cost:4 for the launcher, 2 per missile

This guided missile launcher fires 100x750mm ordinance, with an initial boost provided by a low-power gauss coil system. The missiles track a target by a combination of radar homing and manual laser targeting, and come in HE, HEAT, and namite incendiary. There is also the option of firing 1/8th kiloton warheads for an additional cost.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 07, 2015, 05:26:41 pm »

@RC: I'm pretty sure Nik did not understand that you meant the limb vat. Should probably explain that.
Yeah, I did. Yes, I'd like a writeup if you still think there's demand for that sort of thing on the ARM market; maybe try and generalise? Because I think any sharkmist items of up to certain size could be produced with a vat like that (calibrated to produce only that particular type of items and no other), and not just limbs. Might help finding buyers.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 07, 2015, 05:44:32 pm »

Yeah, I did. Yes, I'd like a writeup if you still think there's demand for that sort of thing on the ARM market; maybe try and generalise? Because I think any sharkmist items of up to certain size could be produced with a vat like that (calibrated to produce only that particular type of items and no other), and not just limbs. Might help finding buyers.

that'd mean checking with pw though, to see how far we could take that (before we grow all our weapons and suits :v
Though sharkmist suits that are adaptable (like a robot version of oldxan) is yet another thing that's been on my tinker list for a while.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 07, 2015, 11:25:26 pm »

Note, after chatting with PW on IIRC, he admitted that it might be time to redesign the shuttles we use, and said for me to write up a design. After hashing it out, we came to the conclusion that we really just need a hot extraction shuttle for those times when we need a fast getaway with the hounds of hell after us(like on haebi). Here's the first pass at that:

Sleipnir Combat Shuttle

A roughly triangularly-shaped shuttle with some armoring, a pair of pd Testament turrets, and as many engines as can be physically strapped to the craft, this ship is designed for getting in, clearing the LZ of hostiles, loading troops, and getting out even with things shooting at it, and rendezvousing with the Sword. The turrets are controlled by two gunners as part of the shuttle crew, or optionally with a computer if the shuttle is sent uncrewed.

So, comments? Also, I'm hoping that if sean gets those plasma thrusters to work I can use those with this ship to increase the lifting power of this.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1631 on: July 08, 2015, 01:14:55 am »

I'd say swap one testament for a laser fed by the shuttle's generator so that it can be used as point defence more effectively and so that you have both kinetic and energy based weapons on it. Could also add the option to mount an external single use nuclear super-lesho like the one Lars has but cheaper or external plasma cannons on it similar to the ones Sean used during the Hephaestus defence so that you can pay a little extra to have it try to take down or distract larger targets. Edit: or maybe a super PEW.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:29:30 am by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 08, 2015, 01:43:53 am »

I'd say swap one testament for a laser fed by the shuttle's generator so that it can be used as point defence more effectively and so that you have both kinetic and energy based weapons on it. Could also add the option to mount an external single use nuclear super-lesho like the one Lars has but cheaper or external plasma cannons on it similar to the ones Sean used during the Hephaestus defence so that you can pay a little extra to have it try to take down or distract larger targets. Edit: or maybe a super PEW.

Lol, PW was taking bets on how long before we try to put PEWs on this. :P

Anyways, as he explained to me, if we can hash out a design for this, and hep and the council approves, these would simply go in as part of our shuttle inventory instead of needing to buy them, so while we probably can't go hog wild, we don't have to be penny wise pound foolish. So thinking on it, I was thinking a pilot controlled chin mounted testament(or any heavy weapon you can fit there for clearing LZs), and 4 "wing"(this is a roughly triangular craft remember) mounted PD laser turrets(two top two bottom), as well as hexsand armor with a sharkplate backing(this should provide the best armor to weight ratio). This should be the best combination of armor, firepower, and speed.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 08, 2015, 02:20:20 am »

Some of my points have already been answered (laser turrets), but the majority of questions still stands.

@tryrar
0)Check the cost-efficiency of the design. Can we have it that cool and don't suffer additional drawbacks (like having too few shuttles to work with)? If yes, that awesome, but first make sure.

1)PSL Tech is good, because it uses up valuable space aboard best of all projectile weapons. However, Testament might be a bit small for the job required - please get in contact with syvarris for the details on his middle-ground PSL design; where standard PSL is autocannon, and Testament is LMG, what shuttles (and APCs, by the way) need is HMG - and he has had a design half-ready ever since Testament came out.

2)Consider adding a laser turret, or swapping a psl one to it? Because some things are more likely to be destroyed with lasers, and incoming guided missiles are among those things. It can be either utilizing blueshard tech, or just feeding off the power supply, whichever proves more cost-efficient and useful for our purposes.

3)Armoring - what kind of? Hexbug is far too heavy, probably, and hexsand won't do enough against projectile weapons. Hexsand+sharkmist sounds good, but I'd say you should get in touch with syvarris (yeah, again :P) and ask him if we can have our shuttles forcefield-protected. Maybe it can even double as a heatshield, or something - or be completely unuseable for this purpose instead, he should have an idea (I honestly don't).

4)Computer - is a good addition. Personally, I'd suggest adding an autopilot of some kind, so that even if no Aux-capable person is on board (or, rare case, everyone inside is dead/has passed out), it can try and take the team back to the Sword.

5)Don't forget to include gripping places for Avatars/assaultsuits. If designed incorrectly, when transported, those might partially obstruct field of fire of mounted weapons, so that should preferably be avoided.

6)Thrusters - you've already mentioned about using Sean's idea, but for the sake of posterity please consider also using nuclear ones (PyroDesu's favorite Project Orion). We can work with small yeilds, so we can control the nuclear processes pretty well, so maybe that'll even turn out cost-efficient and faster than other methods. Or, well, if anything, we could simply turn those engines on the unwary enemies. :P

The last part also brings the question - I recall that we have "clean" bombs now, right? I recall that Simus did the work on upgrading our whole nuclear arsenal, roughly during the preparation for the Defense of Hephaestus (Sean should know better, I think).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:25:36 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 08, 2015, 03:14:22 am »

Simus did create a design for clean fusion weapons in preparation for the defense of Hephaestus, but we didn't upgrade our nuclear arsenals with them. Largely because they're not as cost-effective, since we have plenty of fissionables. Besides materials, fission weapons are functionally simple, but require precision to make. Fusion weapons like what Simus designed, while not requiring any rare materials, do require even greater precision to make, and aren't as functionally simple.

So nukes are just more handy to have overall.

However, I agree that the shuttle should have some fusion weapons. I'd personally recommend a weapon layout similar to what I have on the Party Wagon now - a spinal-mount FEL cannon set up to fire omnidirectionally, and internal bays for variable-yield fusion missiles. The missiles can be dialed from sub-kiloton to near-megaton yields, allowing some tactical flexibility. Testament turrets could help with anything laser-resistant, or just as a secondary short-range defense weapon.

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 155