Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163791 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1590 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:34 am »

Okay, in my capacity as Deputy Admin of Engineering, I have to make this statement:

Even though the current prototype system is being abolished, the Admin of Engineering reserves the right of final judgement on admittance of a design to the armory list, after the GM's and the Council's approval.
This is the sacred right that I inherited from my predecessor, and this is how I shall pass it on (return to him) when the time comes.

AKA an IC check after the OOC checks?
IC check after OOC checks, yes, but for slightly different purposes: To avoid Armory clutter. Because Piecewise (and the Council) makes up the prices, but doesn't make any judgements regarding the ultimate usefulness of things.
In a way, that what Steve used to do with prototyping grants back before Simus got this job (along with a planet to oversee) from him.

Edit: Also, RC: Realistically speaking, does the matter of the suit underwear item or 'classical' mono-forceblade has to be brought up with the Council (if yes, could you do so)? Joking aside, Piecewise gave fine exact prices on those (0 token and 3 token, respectively); does the Council step in in cases like these, or not? I am thinking of making those available for the next missions already, since the designs are finalised and everything.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:23:53 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 02, 2015, 12:59:13 pm »

Okay, in my capacity as Deputy Admin of Engineering, I have to make this statement:

Even though the current prototype system is being abolished, the Admin of Engineering reserves the right of final judgement on admittance of a design to the armory list, after the GM's and the Council's approval.
This is the sacred right that I inherited from my predecessor, and this is how I shall pass it on (return to him) when the time comes.

AKA an IC check after the OOC checks?
IC check after OOC checks, yes, but for slightly different purposes: To avoid Armory clutter. Because Piecewise (and the Council) makes up the prices, but doesn't make any judgements regarding the ultimate usefulness of things.
In a way, that what Steve used to do with prototyping grants back before Simus got this job (along with a planet to oversee) from him.

Edit: Also, RC: Realistically speaking, does the matter of the suit underwear item or 'classical' mono-forceblade has to be brought up with the Council (if yes, could you do so)? Joking aside, Piecewise gave fine exact prices on those (0 token and 3 token, respectively); does the Council step in in cases like these, or not? I am thinking of making those available for the next missions already, since the designs are finalised and everything.

If pw gave very exact prices, I don't think so, but I'm certainly willing to bring it up if you want me to. Underwear seems fine, but the force blade might warrant some thinking. Is there a single write-up for that somewhere?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 02, 2015, 01:42:03 pm »

-Replica of a 'true' monosword, made from forcefield, costs 3 tokens:
03:16:45 <Piecewise> 3 toens
03:16:48 <Piecewise> tokens
03:17:11 <Piecewise> for a blade of about two and a half feet long, single sided

-It is able to cut through stuff by thickening away from the edge to about paper-thickness
(Oh, and it explodes with a force of a... grenade, I think? It was in one of the earlier IRC logs.)

I asked Piecewise for exactly the same thing as Renen's sword, only made from forcefields. I admit that it is far, far cheaper than that one (Renen's is one-of-a-kind, by the way), but then again it is prone to blowing up in your face, cannot reassemble once broken, and is made of cutting-edge new tech. And Piecewise clearly had the mono-wire weapons (closest comparable entries in current armory) in mind when he named the price, because later when I tried making force-monowire, he outright stated it much less cost-efficient than conventional monowire.

Edit: Then again, Piecewise already gave the price. *Suddenly regrets bringing the matter up for Council...* :P
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:35:00 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 04, 2015, 09:02:05 am »

We have the apacalypse lab now, finish the gosh darn glowworm research please.
Yeah, we will. The problem is, we don't have the AL yet, as it will be finished with the start of M21 (i.e., after Maurice departs). And second, but even more important thing: there have been other research projects, awaiting the opportunity to be worked upon, such as Crystalline tech from M1.
Everything will be thoroughly researched and studied in due time.
Past Sigs

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: July 04, 2015, 10:18:55 am »

We have the apacalypse lab now, finish the gosh darn glowworm research please.
Yeah, we will. The problem is, we don't have the AL yet, as it will be finished with the start of M21 (i.e., after Maurice departs). And second, but even more important thing: there have been other research projects, awaiting the opportunity to be worked upon, such as Crystalline tech from M1.
Everything will be thoroughly researched and studied in due time.
yes but we know exactly what we are gonna get from the glowworm research whereas we have no idea what, if anything, we will get from those crystals.

hell im pretty sure we already got things from those crystals.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 04, 2015, 10:28:52 am »

Well, for one, we don't know if at all we'll be able to get anything from the glowworm research - it was a dead-end by one of the perspectives (no way to control); and yes, I can accurately predict several important things that can be created with those crystals. Frag-grenade with crystalline growths, for example; new mechanisms for penetrating armor (crystals can grow through a slightly cracked battleplate, for example). And that is before we go into the 'they are slightly psychic' area. I've been looking forward a long time to study that particular black box, but it simply could not be allowed without proper containment measures.

Anyway, that's my perspective on those things, but syv will be calling shots soon, so he might change those research orders.
Past Sigs

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 04, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »

I don't think I ever responded to the glowworm gun research cause no one asked me for the results.

So the gun itself seems to be a hive of sorts for some sort of atomic level matter eating...somethings. Lab boys call them termites. The consciousness in the gun controls them, and they invade the body and control it. The problem is that they can't seem to inhabit inorganic hosts without degrading destroying them eventually. The other problem is that, while we can replicate the "effect" of the beam which implants the targets with what amount to soldiers ants designed to eat away their opponents, controlling them without the group consciousness is difficult. Impossible, actually. We had to drop the test chamber into a matter annihilator.

So, we're kinda at a "Gray goo" level with them right now. More research is necessary.
There's a difference between "no way to control" dead ends and "we cant safely proceed" dead ends.
basically we needed to wait for the apocalypse lab to be built so that we could work on replicating the "group consciousness" without having the uncontrolled termites devour the whole lab.

on a side note we should really wiki these posts or their contents, they are a bitch to find again.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 04, 2015, 11:09:45 pm »

Note on Kugelblitz: I remember about it. The problem is, as it currently is, it was explicitly denied by Admin of Engineering proper, so I cannot approve it as is. I would suggest reworking it and possibly haggling with the Council to decrease the rocket cost (I believe it can go down, and if there is any trouble with fractions, packs of two, for example, could always be sold).
Furthermore, Sean appears to be working on new cool plasma rockets, so there might be some use incorporating those - and maybe working out the difference (or compatibility) between Kugelblitz launcher and Hammerhead rockets.

Believe me when I say I would desperately love a good nuclear-payload missile launcher for this mission. But Kugelblitz design simply isn't at the apex of it's efficiency and usefulness right now.

Furthermore, it came to my attention that neither Remote Turret Conversion Kit nor "Pawn" Suppressive Fire Entity have ever been properly approved and admitted to the Armory. While I see their usefulness, I would like to use this opportunity to request design upgrades and re-evaluation by the Council in the light of recent power creep scientific advances. Neither items are mainstream, so it should not be of much importance to keep them rather more expensive than not.

Finally, I am still waiting on Piercing Energy Weapon final price and write-up. It's approval is almost a given now, but the design has to be finished to be added to the Armory proper.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:26:48 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 05, 2015, 02:24:57 am »

The Conversion Kit has already been approved:
Emp: The Council has unanimously agreed (Piecewise approval still pending, of course) that your "Remote Turret Conversion Kit" project should be approved, with the following characteristics:

-Usable on all long gun-shaped Con weapons which cost 5 tokens or less.
-Can use weapons with a Strength requirement of 5 or less.
-Weapon cannot be operated with the kit equipped/applied, and applying or removing the kit should take no rolls under "typical" circumstances.
-Range of the Transmitter falls to Piecewise; though I imagine it may vary based on the surroundings.
-No enhanced optics; only a basic camera.
-With a price of 3 tokens.

Do you have any questions, comments, or feedback?
Nope. It sounds great to me  :D
Name it, describe it, get it ready for the armory. It will go on sale after these missions end. Or technically as soon as you've got it described and everything, but, well, armory is in another dimension so.. yeah.

The Pawn, probably won't ever get fully approved really. The character that made it is now in stasis-limbo, and it's practically obsolete by now.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 05, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »

Note on Kugelblitz: I remember about it. The problem is, as it currently is, it was explicitly denied by Admin of Engineering proper, so I cannot approve it as is. I would suggest reworking it and possibly haggling with the Council to decrease the rocket cost (I believe it can go down, and if there is any trouble with fractions, packs of two, for example, could always be sold).
Furthermore, Sean appears to be working on new cool plasma rockets, so there might be some use incorporating those - and maybe working out the difference (or compatibility) between Kugelblitz launcher and Hammerhead rockets.

Believe me when I say I would desperately love a good nuclear-payload missile launcher for this mission. But Kugelblitz design simply isn't at the apex of it's efficiency and usefulness right now.

Well, there was already an alternate price of 2 rockets for three credits, though that still sounds like it might be a bit expensive. The only way I can think of to decrease the price of the rockets it to go to even smaller 80mm rockets, with the accompanying decrease in ability. Might be worth doing though since this already can't really deal with battlesuits unless I get a lucky hit. Thoughts?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:20 pm »

TOKENS!
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 05, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »

....you know what? Fuck it. If I'm not going to smack battlesuits around with the kugelblitz anyways, I might as well make the missiles small enough to possibly come in clips of 3(or one nuke. If you need more than one nuke....). I think a 60mmx250mm missile might work, and with Gauss assist still would throw the missile several kilometers(especially on a ballistic arc. Make this a top attack profile and we might be talking).

So, can the council price me on how much these smaller rockets would cost, as well as the reduced size launcher needed to fire them? Assume the rest of the stats stay the same(the guidance package, the gauss assist, the manual laser targeter)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1602 on: July 05, 2015, 07:33:20 pm »

Current tech RPGs can reach distances about a kilometre away when fired parabolically. I don't see why a future tech RPG where technology allows a suit with relatively small rocket pods to fly for more than 50kms would not be able to be fired at long distances. Add a camera and a remote control and you can use it as artillery.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 05, 2015, 08:40:32 pm »

Current tech RPGs can reach distances about a kilometre away when fired parabolically. I don't see why a future tech RPG where technology allows a suit with relatively small rocket pods to fly for more than 50kms would not be able to be fired at long distances. Add a camera and a remote control and you can use it as artillery.

Yeah, the issue isn't the range, the main issue holding this up is cost(missiles cost too much for what it does). Or as far as I can tell anyways

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 06, 2015, 08:12:13 am »

@Paris in Heph thread

I know PW has said that gauss weapons are too loud to be suppressed simply by being subsonic, but I think that's because he doesn't *quite* understand how loud suppressed weapons are.  A suppressed high-caliber rifle can still be loud enough to hurt your ears--and our 'small caliber' is much larger than even those.  Arguably, most of that is from the gas rather than bullet, which is already nonexistent with gauss weapons, but making the rounds subsonic should still remove the distinctive sonic crack of a bullet.  Also, that sonic crack is much more directed than the sound of the coils charging, so removing it is beneficial even if it is somehow quieter.

Besides, we don't lose anything by adding the option, and it could potentially be helpful to black ops people.  Even if you're right, and it does almost nothing, is that a reason not to do it?  It's just a sentence added to three wiki articles.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 155