Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74057 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country
« Reply #810 on: December 06, 2014, 02:43:12 am »

Knit Tie, when I read that "you hate Russians" I remember this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry guys if there are too much non-English stuff in that thread. To summarize: it is opinion of one Russian that believe that if Russia will be destroyed then God will destroy the planet because no love, goodness and beauty will remain on the Earth.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 06, 2014, 02:59:10 am »

Knit Tie, when I read that "you hate Russians" I remember this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry guys if there are too much non-English stuff in that thread. To summarize: it is opinion of one Russian that believe that if Russia will be destroyed then God will destroy the planet because no love, goodness and beauty will remain on the Earth.
I am very tempted here quote something similar from the endless pearls Ukrainian nationalists churn out. Oh, I know, here's my favourite story: Ukrainian slodier subsists for five days on flies and own piss, is lauded as a hero.

Anyway, I was simply screwing around with mainiac by slightly adjusting his own post:
We get it, you hate Ukrainians.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 06, 2014, 03:35:02 am »

I am very tempted here quote something similar from the endless pearls Ukrainian nationalists churn out. Oh, I know, here's my favourite story: Ukrainian slodier subsists for five days on flies and own piss, is lauded as a hero.

Do you think it is funny? Seriously?

First: During war any soldier is a hero by definition. If country treats its soldiers, especially wounded in action in any other way that country has no right to exist. The only situation when soldier is not a hero when it is proved that he committed a war crime or deserted or betrayed

Second: He used urine to sterilize his wound. Last resort antiseptic,  better then nothing. He used rain water and his helmet to drink

Third: Yes, he consumed worms and insect, the only available food around.

Fourth: While journalist exaggerated some parts of his story (I read his interview) that look like truth. There are a chance that guy who lost his leg and returned home lies but I don't think that it is the case

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 06, 2014, 05:02:17 am »

Really, Knit tie? Is these both literally and metaphorically shitty anecdotes your last line of resort?

No really this is really pathetic of you. I evocate you two hours of reading Russian history.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 06, 2014, 06:44:41 am »

Really, Knit tie? Is these both literally and metaphorically shitty anecdotes your last line of resort?

No really this is really pathetic of you. I evocate you two hours of reading Russian history.
Sergarr, tell me, how is Russian history related to me and UR beatsticking each other with some of the worst examples of idiocy and propaganda our respective nations have so far churned out?

I apologise to our international readers, this episode of mutual insults has now ended and we are back to our scheduled programming.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:07:35 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 06, 2014, 07:14:16 am »

Reading Russian history is supposed to remind you how much shit soldiers have to go through for all their victories.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 06, 2014, 07:26:48 am »

Reading Russian history is supposed to remind you how much shit soldiers have to go through for all their victories.
So saying that not all soldiers are heroic is now taboo? Or is it making jokes about how Ukrainian propaganda sometimes comes up with just plain silly tales that are up there with some of the Russian propaganda efforts in terms of obvious mendacity *coughcrucifiedbabycough*

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:17 am »

Soldiers risk their lives every single moment they're on the front, Knit tie. They risk their lives so that others may be spared from death.

You clearly don't understand just how terrifying it is to be there, knowing that every single moment could be your last.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:34 am »

It's just that ridiculing a guy who had to subsist on insects and rainwater and had to use his own urine as an antiseptic is kinda dickish.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 06, 2014, 07:41:21 am »

It's just that ridiculing a guy who had to subsist on insects and rainwater and had to use his own urine as an antiseptic is kinda dickish.
I agree. Not a nice thing to say by any means, and God knows I was not referring to the soldier's story itself, but to how overhyped this event was by the official Ukrainian media outlets. Sort of like how Russian media outlets presented the first Chechen war. Or, hell, how the official Stalin's propaganda presented the WW2, for that matter.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:31:32 am by Knit tie »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 06, 2014, 08:01:15 am »

Besides, there's a big difference between denying the Holocaust and insisting that the Holocaust wasn't unique to the European Jewry, that many other peoples (Armenians at the hands of Turks, most Chinese peoples at the hands of IJA, many, many peoples in Africa at the hands of each other and colonial powers, Romani at the hands of Nazis, Kurds at the hands of Saddam Hussein, the list goes on) have also been subjected to genocide and that pretending that what happened in Nazi Germany was somehow unique and unrepeatable means rendering ourselves willfully blind to any future Holocausts.
You are mixing up the terms "genocide" and "Holocaust". The Holocaust particularly means the unique event of the systematic genocide of the European Jews and nothing else. And yes, confusing the terms would probably be taken as pretty offensive by many people.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 06, 2014, 08:07:03 am »

Besides, there's a big difference between denying the Holocaust and insisting that the Holocaust wasn't unique to the European Jewry, that many other peoples (Armenians at the hands of Turks, most Chinese peoples at the hands of IJA, many, many peoples in Africa at the hands of each other and colonial powers, Romani at the hands of Nazis, Kurds at the hands of Saddam Hussein, the list goes on) have also been subjected to genocide and that pretending that what happened in Nazi Germany was somehow unique and unrepeatable means rendering ourselves willfully blind to any future Holocausts.
You are mixing up the terms "genocide" and "Holocaust". The Holocaust particularly means the unique event of the systematic genocide of the European Jews and nothing else. And yes, confusing the terms would probably be taken as pretty offensive by many people.
If Holocaust is defined as the genocide of Jews at Nazis' hands, then it truly was unique by definition and it would be stupid of me to say otherwise, you are right.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 06, 2014, 08:16:01 am »

It was unique in other ways as well: It was the only truly industrialized genocide, with death factories and the giant ovens, and it was one of the few genocides in which the victims were not selected on some outer characteristic (belonging to a certain ethnic or cultural group, for example) but for purely racial reasons: Even a perfectly integrated half-Jew who had no idea of his jewish descent - and thus was completely indistinguishable from those around him - was not safe.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 06, 2014, 08:23:50 am »

It was unique in other ways as well: It was the only truly industrialized genocide, with death factories and the giant ovens, and it was one of the few genocides in which the victims were not selected on some outer characteristic (belonging to a certain ethnic or cultural group, for example) but for purely racial reasons: Even a perfectly integrated half-Jew who had no idea of his jewish descent - and thus was completely indistinguishable from those around him - was not safe.
Helgo, let me just say that I absolutely agree with everything you've said and stop this discussion here, because I am really feeling like I would go tapdancing on a minefield if I were to continue talking about the Holocaust - too many possibilities to be misunderstood and come off as a piece of insensitive human waste that tries to argue that Jewish genocide didn't exist, and if there are things I would never do, being a Holocaust denier is one of them.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 06, 2014, 08:33:09 am »

Helgo, let me just say that I absolutely agree with everything you've said and stop this discussion here, because I am really feeling like I would go tapdancing on a minefield if I were to continue talking about the Holocaust - too many possibilities to be misunderstood and come off as a piece of insensitive human waste that tries to argue that Jewish genocide didn't exist, and if there are things I would never do, being a Holocaust denier is one of them.
Like Helgo said, there are many reasons why the Holocaust is regarded as a unique event, thus deliberately equating it to other genocides is generally regarded as historical revisionism (usually of the anti-semitic kind). Not that I think you were doing that deliberately, it's just important to know the distinction. With that pointed out, I agree this tangent can end here.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 62