Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74152 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country
« Reply #750 on: December 04, 2014, 02:28:43 pm »

Knit Tie, that's less propaganda, and most people just having a terrible knowledge of history in general.

Regarding the Tatar, I couldn't find link for those pogroms, and I found that about 9000 joined a German battailon, hardly a collaboration by the whole people.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 04, 2014, 02:50:44 pm »

I would say Crimea is a historically important place since it was pretty much the last anclave of tatars from which they carried out their raid onto Russian territory, and with taking it we've finally stopped that.

I'd say the core European Russia has four historically important cities that each have a part of our history laid down in them: St. Petersburg, Moscow, Sevastopol, and Nizhny Novgorod. Each of these cities (with the exception of Nizhny Novgorod) has seen many historically important battles and symbolize our struggle against the outer enemy. The Nizhny Novgorod, as the homeplace of Minin and Pozharsky rebellion against the Poland conquerers, symbolizes our struggle against the enemy inside - the most dangerous kind.

Of course these are not the only historically important cities in Russia. The cities close to our border are practically swimming in history.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:54:58 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 04, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

Knit Tie, that's less propaganda, and most people just having a terrible knowledge of history in general.
Agreed, that was what I was talking about in the first place, with "de-propagandisation" being the Russian term for how the official line of the former Soviet government took a U-turn in the 90s and started pouring oceans of mud on the Soviet state.

Regarding the Tatar, I couldn't find link for those pogroms, and I found that about 9000 joined a German battailon, hardly a collaboration by the whole people.
Most links about this sort of stuff are in russian, unfortunately, like this wikipedia article, for example, because that's not the sort of stuff that's interesting to the western popular historians. And you are right, the Soviet response was excessive and undeserved by the Tatars.

When talking about the pre-WW2 USSR, to illustrate what I am talking about, most British pundits focus on the famine of 1032-33...
The Kievan Rus was ruled by Soviet communists, then? I didn't know that. :P

Goddammit, I meant 1932-32!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:04:26 pm by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 04, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »

I would say Crimea is a historically important place since it was pretty much the last anclave of tatars from which they carried out their raid onto Russian territory, and with taking it we've finally stopped that.

I'd say the core European Russia has four historically important cities that each have a part of our history laid down in them: St. Petersburg, Moscow, Sevastopol, and Nizhny Novgorod. Each of these cities (with the exception of Nizhny Novgorod) has seen many historically important battles and symbolize our struggle against the outer enemy. The Nizhny Novgorod, as the homeplace of Minin and Pozharsky rebellion against the Poland conquerers, symbolizes our struggle against the enemy inside - the most dangerous kind.

Of course these are not the only historically important cities in Russia. The cities close to our border are practically swimming in history.

Well yeah, I'm not saying that it isn't historically important, just not on the high historical and cultural level that Putin was claiming to have it be.

It could just be that he was using a poor analogy.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 04, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »

Well yeah, I'm not saying that it isn't historically important, just not on the high historical and cultural level that Putin was claiming to have it be.

It there's an area where Putin genuinely sucks, it would be public speaking. He has absolutely no talent for this sort of thing, and it shows.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 04, 2014, 03:19:52 pm »

And I would definitely agree with you, it's a really fucking poor analogy.

Like I'm outraged at how bad it is. Equating historical reasons with religious reasons? Fuck you, putin, fuck yuo
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 04, 2014, 03:22:54 pm »

For the Russians here, what analogy do you think would have been appropriate?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 04, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »

Hmmmm. I don't know, actually. The European states did not had that kind of slow expansion into foreign space, with the exception of Spain, maybe.

What was the last city in Spain freed during Reconquista?
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:45 pm »

An analogy with Siberia would've been much more appropriate - "we conquered it long ago and since then it's been an integral and valued part of the Russian state, inhabited by Russian people."

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 04, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »

I'd say Danzig for the Germans but let's not go down that route again. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 04, 2014, 03:53:37 pm »

Hmmmm. I don't know, actually. The European states did not had that kind of slow expansion into foreign space, with the exception of Spain, maybe.

What was the last city in Spain freed during Reconquista?

Granada I think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 04, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »

Probably the closest analogy that can be applied here is that the Crimea is a part of Russia where much blood was shed for the defence of the country against the invaders. Kind of like Kosovo for Serbians.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:06:01 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 04, 2014, 05:35:56 pm »

Spoiler: /thread (click to show/hide)
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 04, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »

It's like Kosovo is Serb  -   Crimea is Russian?

What's that thing written over Crimea?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 04, 2014, 06:23:42 pm »

Spoiler: /thread (click to show/hide)

It should have an eighth one, 'All your bases are belong to us' because that's what the whole thing sounded like to me.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62