Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 56256 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2014, 12:03:05 am »

Are you SURE you're a newbie, Scint? =.=

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2014, 12:12:55 am »

In terms of games played, very much so. However, I've read a LOT of mafia games here, so I kinda roughly know what to do :P
I have no idea.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:32 am »

Answering questions, then off to bed.

Krusader:

What would be your criteria for targetting people as the jailer?
That would depend on how certain I am on the identity of scum.  If I wasn't certain, then I'd try to protect whoever was painting the biggest target on themselves.  Lacking that, too, I'd probably be random in the hopes of interrupting a nightkill.

Scripten
If a scummy player was lynched, but flipped town, how would you proceed?

Take a look at the wagon that got them lynched. Look for people on the wagon but not particularly committing to it. Move on to other reads. Mislynches are just a fact of the game. Getting too upset over one can shake up your town game.

What about this question do you think suggests at my alignment?

Masked_Krusader, can you please answer the question I asked you in this post?
Sorry, missed that one.
I think it would suggest that you are town, but I couldn't really be certain either way.

Look, I have to go for No lynch here, I really don't feel confident enough in voting for anyone on the first day.
I have to agree at this point. Although if our resident lurkers (namely RangerCado and Persus13) don't show their faces soon, my position may change. For now, though, I'm going to vote No Lynch.
NOOOOOOOOOES
NO VOTE NO LYNCH D1

Unvote No Lynch.
YES.  THIS.
NEVAR VOTE TEH NO LYNCH ON DAY 1.

And if Persus doesn't show himself, my vote stays where it is.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2014, 12:52:18 am »

Alright then, Unvote No-Lynch.
There, you happy now? The only person I see as slightly leaning towards getting my vote and that's Persus13.
Mostly because all the better players are dog piling (Massive Over exaggeration) him.
Hmmm.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2014, 12:59:14 am »

There's a valid reason to dogpile. He hasn't said anything at all yet, and we're already in RL day 3 of Day 1.
I have no idea.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2014, 01:12:13 am »

Just out of curiosity, where did I display such unusual competence as to get this response? :P
I have no idea.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:48 am »

Final thoughts before I go to bed:

Persus13: You haven't posted at all this game. The only reason that the FoS hasn't been upgraded to a full vote is that your post history shows that you're occupied with KYOSN. Please become active. You're IC, for goodness' sake.

Krusader:
Krusader:
That would depend on how certain I am on the identity of scum.  If I wasn't certain, then I'd try to protect whoever was painting the biggest target on themselves.  Lacking that, too, I'd probably be random in the hopes of interrupting a nightkill.
Your answer says who you'd pick if you weren't certain on scum. However, it says nothing about what you'd do if you did know scum. Why is this? And could you please answer it?

Scripten

Take a look at the wagon that got them lynched. Look for people on the wagon but not particularly committing to it. Move on to other reads. Mislynches are just a fact of the game. Getting too upset over one can shake up your town game.

Sorry, missed that one.
I think it would suggest that you are town, but I couldn't really be certain either way.
What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with this question? You yourself admit that you couldn't get any useful info from it.
I have no idea.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2014, 04:21:58 am »

Vote Execute. Trying to get a no lynch on day 1 can only be bad for the town, and it's the most suspicious play I've seen so far.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2014, 05:07:24 am »

Vote Execute. Trying to get a no lynch on day 1 can only be bad for the town, and it's the most suspicious play I've seen so far.
I went for No Lynch because I didn't know who could have really been showing any scummy behavior, I just don't have an eye for that kind of stuff.
Oh, on that note, I'm going to have to request a replacement, and yes I realise how much of a dick move this is, doing so on the first day, but I just feel like crap from this game already and I think I would just informally leave anyway.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:32 am »

That's not quite what I meant. Scint sort of covered it already. I mean, what goal did you have in mind when you asked this question? How would me answering it help you determine my alignment?

Keep in mind that I'm not asking you these questions just to be mean. I want to understand your thought process.

Just out of curiosity, where did I display such unusual competence as to get this response? :P

Well, you've got a certain competency about terms and various aspects of the game. On the other hand, you've made some very obvious newbtown mistakes that create a pro-scum game state, which makes me rather suspicious. Someone who is aware of what VIs are should be well aware that echoing other players and voting for a No Lynch on D1 are not pro-town actions.

I went for No Lynch because I didn't know who could have really been showing any scummy behavior, I just don't have an eye for that kind of stuff.
Oh, on that note, I'm going to have to request a replacement, and yes I realise how much of a dick move this is, doing so on the first day, but I just feel like crap from this game already and I think I would just informally leave anyway.

I don't think its necessary to replace out, E/D.exe. Your play is still salvageable. Just start scumhunting legitimately and don't give up. Unless you're scum, in which case go ahead and convince us to lynch you. ;)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2014, 12:06:21 pm »

Apologies for my lateness to the party, the notifications of people posting in this game stopped for some reason, plus I was barely on my computer yesterday because yesterday was really busy despite my school having a snow day for the first time in forever. Thankfully, you guys seem to be having a promising start, with a few problems.

This is my IC voice. Anything I say in this can be trusted 100%. However I will use this only to discuss game mechanics and general mafia stuff. My own opinion on things like scumhunting, things I find suspicious, as well as anything I say that doesn't have to do with game mechanics and general mafia stuff will not be in IC voice. That does not mean that you can not trust my words outside my IC voice, it just means that those statements are made by me as an IC, not me as a player.

An important thing to keep in mind, and something many of you seem to be realize already, is that I have two goals. The first is to improve your play, while the second is to play to my win condition. It is possible for an IC to have a scum alignment. It is also possible for both ICs to be the scum team.

Now that I've said all that, on to dealing with people's posts.

Look, I have to go for No lynch here, I really don't feel confident enough in voting for anyone on the first day.
I have to agree at this point. Although if our resident lurkers (namely RangerCado and Persus13) don't show their faces soon, my position may change. For now, though, I'm going to vote No Lynch.
When you posted, you still had 48 hours to find scum. Instead of voting for No Lynch (which is one of the worst town decisions, because it gives power to the scum), you two could be asking questions, looking for strange occurances in previous posts, or voting for inactive people to get in here.

Scripten:
So, looks like we have some new blood in here.

Execute/Dumbo.exe: How do you feel your play will differ this game from when you have a town role?
I'm not completely sure I understand this question. Are you implying that Execute has a scum role?

Persus13: Heyo, any thoughts so far?
You seem pretty experienced.
Scintellant seems like he understands a little how to play like town, but hasn't mastered it. He also is copying people, which is a bit odd.
Krusader seems to understand how the game is played pretty well.
Shamrock is being really aggressive, which is something a lot of people do, especially when starting out, but isn't actually necessary.
Execute is flailing a lot.
SBC, Deus Asmoth and Ranger Cado need to post more before I can get a fix on them.

Scintellant:
Persus13: What basic survival tips would you give to a new player like me?
Be active enough and post well enough to not be a lynch target, but don't be town-like enough to be the target of a night kill. Alternatively, don't be an IC but play well as town, as ICs are usually the first to get NKed. Why is the focus of this question on survival as opposed to finding scum?

However, if I made a slip up and implied I was JKer, thus painting a big target on myself, I'd pick myself to protect (assuming that I didn't also block myself, making a paradox :P).
Jailkeepers can't protect themselves.

Scintillant:
While you're here, why do you seem to be basically parroting what I said? While you have thrown the first vote, your accusation is the basically same as mine. Yours is shorter and packs more of a punch, while it is more effective it left me wondering. Did you find this suspicious or are you just following on from what I said?
I did independently arrive at this conclusion, I just had the misfortune of posting it after you. Great minds think alike, I guess :P

the mafia are probably going to hide in the lurkers like usual.
Couldn't we just start lynching lurkers, though to counter this?
You posted your question 20 minutes after Shamrock posted his. How did you miss Shamrock's question?

Lynching lurkers is something I only feel should be done in the absence of scum targets. Also, there is a difference between Lurking and not being able to post. Lurking is being able to post but not doing so. However that definition is a bit subjective, because not being able to post can range from not being able to access your computer to being pre-occupied with another Bay12 game. Also, not all scum are lurkers, scum tend to be either fairly active and trying to appear to be scumhunting, or lurking, as do town.

Also, I had a slight hunch that you were scum at that point, again based on your lack of questioning, so I piggybacked off of Shamrock's argument since it seemed to hit the same points that I was thinking about.
And this wouldn't be the first time you've done this.

Un-Fos RangerCado, FoS Persus13
Here's a tip: Use your vote when you can. FOS in my opinion should only be used for someone you would like to vote but you want to keep your vote on someone else. A FOS is pretty useless otherwise, and makes you look like you want to attack me but don't have enough courage to vote me. So next time, vote me.

Krusader:
Everyone: How much mafia experience do you have?
I've played Mafia on this board for a bit over a year now. I've been scum about 3-4 times, a serial killer once, and town for a bunch of other games.

Besides almost inevitable scum-win because BM, anyway.
It's not inevitable, I've definitely seen town win BMs before, so don't be so defeatist.

Comrade Shamrock:
masked_krusader
Deus Asmoth
If you were mafia, who would you target?
Why are you asking that question? It seems like a way to set up a fall guy if scum decide to kill that person. Which could result in the basics of he suggested he might have been an inexperienced enough scum to post it and go through with it, which leads to his lynching but he could really be town.
As a general rule, it is considered rude to jump in on someone else's question, because it might change the answer that is given. Just FYI.
Also, it is entirely possible that this was Krusader's intent, however questions like this one are often asked in RVS by players of any alignment to get discussion going. Also, as Krusader responded, this type of scum plan is usually trumped by the realities of the situation
Out of curiousity, why do you seem really aggressive towards Krusader from the start?

Is it regular for you to start asking questions about people's opinion so early? You have yet to really voice an opinion but already want another player to give you their thoughts.
This isn't unusual. ICs get these questions all the time. The fact that I'm an IC is something you seem to be ignoring in this post.

Scripten:
I did not mean to say your game is sub-optimal. It's just that you are playing in a mainly reactive manner. Very few questions seem to come from you. You provide well detailed answers and offer advice. But if we look back I think you have addressed two people in an inquiry without a prompt. These were both Persus and Blackcat, our absentee ICs. Then there is the spat we just had, which I provoked by basically insulting you (sorry about that).
You calling a player who had the first post of the game reactive? And the post had a question to Execute, so this post is incorrect about the number of questions he asked. In addition, I'd like to point that a lot of Mafia is reactive because you find scum through seeing other people's content and finding what's scummy about it.

Execute:
Execute/Dumbo.exe
If it got down to MYLO, would you attempt to hang scum, or push for a no-lynch to get more info?
Well, first up I would like to know what MYLO means? Does it mean when if town lunches the wrong person the scum win or something?
You're correct. MyLo is an abbreviation of Mislynch and Lose. In this game, if we have 6 people then we would have MYLo. Although if we have a Jailkeeper then they can stop scum from winning.

Alright then, Unvote No-Lynch.
There, you happy now? The only person I see as slightly leaning towards getting my vote and that's Persus13.
Mostly because all the better players are dog piling (Massive Over exaggeration) him.
Hmmm.
Voting someone because other players are is something that will get you lynched. Vote someone because you find something they said odd, or you agree with another player's case on them.

If you want to request replacement, use bold text. Secondly, don't be discouraged by the fact people are attacking you for a mistake you made. This type of thing happens often in beginner games, and the point of these games is to help you avoid that type of thing. If you don't feel you enjoy Mafia, feel free to request a replacement, but I would encourage you to stay and play if you feel able. It's not a dick move to request a replacement if you don't feel well because of a game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2014, 12:50:36 pm »

Scintillant, what benefit did you see in no-lynching the first day, and why did you change your mind so quickly?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »

Scintillant:
Comrade Shamrock: What are your current top two picks for scum and why?

You would be my first choice as scum. There is the matter of your voting while we are most definitely in the RVS. You only seem to vote with something somebody else has already suggest. I didn't like krusaders question. Then you came in with the same point, except with a vote. You also did the same thing with the no lynch vote. Dumbo suggests you go along with it. I think that if you are scum you are trying to find keep some room to maneuver. So that if something bad happens or if someone gets killed you can argue that you thought the point was valid and you were just following on from there.

My other choice would be masked. I really don't like that question about targets he asked. He also asks hypothetical questions. He dismisses a few of answers as WIFOM. There really isn't much that can be done about that as everything in the question is hypothetical. But it seems like he's disregarding that there is more than one possible answer and reason for things. I'm not sure but in my opinion this encourages tunnel vision which is not good in this game.

If you were the mafia role cop, would you regard yourself as more important than your ordinary partner and therefore more likely to bus him?

Ranger:
Please group anything you wish to address to a player in one part next time please. I almost missed the third part addressed to me near the bottom it also made it a hassle to get the questions addressed to me in those quotes..

RangerCado:
Which would you prefer to be. A townie or mafia? Why?
I prefer Mafia for being able to know a good portion of whats going bump in the night, and I like to be against the odds in a lot of games when it comes to numbers. A bit of a pride thing unfortunately, but I like being faced with many opponents and coming out on top.

I think I'll ask the same question of you. Town or mafia?
Town, it's much more fun. As a mafia you know who to have a reasonable degree of trust (they can still bus you just for the credit). You're also much more aware of who is what. I really don't like that, it take some of the fun out of trying to find who you can trust. You also have info which you can't really use without someone asking how you got it, like say if someone claimed cop and accused you to get the lynch pushed but you knew someone else was.

masked_krusader:
But if there is a counterclaim it means that someone is definitely a liar.
Comrade: There is a very simple solution to counterclaims that makes it easy to figure out. Unless its MYLO or LYLO, then we just lynch one and if the counter claim was a false claim, we lynch the other and thereby lower the mafia numbers in the end. Of course this doesn't work very well AT MYLO and LYLO, but then its a different situation and would have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Also, why no follow up question here? You seem to just be stating a single hole you've found but not adding a question with it. Any reason behind this?
Sleep was the primary factor involved. It was 00:14 where I am. I wanted to go to bed. I still can't think of any question I'd ask in regards to that.

What would be your favourite mafia role? Why?

Persus:
When in doubt blame Nerjin. In the other BM I was in he in his IC voice said to never ask that question. As to before that he had the time to ask a single question which while it was addressed to everyone I don't know it seemed like an easy question to ask, especially since he didn't ask anything else except the request for his name to be fixed. It seemed a little lazy to me and he could have just been asking an easy question to everyone so he could appear like he was doing something.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2014, 02:45:36 pm »

Scripten:
Well, you've got a certain competency about terms and various aspects of the game. On the other hand, you've made some very obvious newbtown mistakes that create a pro-scum game state, which makes me rather suspicious. Someone who is aware of what VIs are should be well aware that echoing other players and voting for a No Lynch on D1 are not pro-town actions.
First off, I'm not aware of what VIs are :P Knowledge of terms is not the same as actually knowing what to do. I've read lots of mafia games, so I know most of the terminology. However, having not actually played before this, I don't really know what's considered a good action or a scum action. As you said yoursef, I'm making newbtown mistakes. And that's because I am newbtown.

Persus13:
Persus13: What basic survival tips would you give to a new player like me?
Why is the focus of this question on survival as opposed to finding scum?
As a newbie, I don't really know how to play properly, so I'm asking someone more experienced for advice  ;)
Jailkeepers can't protect themselves.
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.
Scintillant:
While you're here, why do you seem to be basically parroting what I said? While you have thrown the first vote, your accusation is the basically same as mine. Yours is shorter and packs more of a punch, while it is more effective it left me wondering. Did you find this suspicious or are you just following on from what I said?
I did independently arrive at this conclusion, I just had the misfortune of posting it after you. Great minds think alike, I guess :P
You posted your question 20 minutes after Shamrock posted his. How did you miss Shamrock's question?
I didn't miss his question, I just thought that reiterating his argument, along with actually voting masked_krusader, would make for a stronger overall case.

Also,
Spoiler: Forum Question (click to show/hide)
I have no idea.

masked_krusader

• Bay Watcher
  • [KRUSADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »

Krusader:
Krusader:
Your answer says who you'd pick if you weren't certain on scum. However, it says nothing about what you'd do if you did know scum. Why is this? And could you please answer it?
...derp...  I need to pay more attention to my own answers.  I thought I had mentioned that, but I didn't.  you dope, MK
What I meant to be the first part of my answer was if I was certain of scum, then I'd jail one of them to see if I could block the nightkill and/or the rolecop (if applicable).

Scripten

Sorry, missed that one.
What exactly were you hoping to accomplish with this question? You yourself admit that you couldn't get any useful info from it.

That's not quite what I meant. Scint sort of covered it already. I mean, what goal did you have in mind when you asked this question? How would me answering it help you determine my alignment?

Keep in mind that I'm not asking you these questions just to be mean. I want to understand your thought process.

It was an RVS question, so it's purpose was to spark conversation.  (Although, I wasn't expecting it to spark a conversation about itself, though.  :P)

You seem pretty experienced.
Scintellant seems like he understands a little how to play like town, but hasn't mastered it. He also is copying people, which is a bit odd.
Krusader seems to understand how the game is played pretty well.
Shamrock is being really aggressive, which is something a lot of people do, especially when starting out, but isn't actually necessary.
Execute is flailing a lot.
SBC, Deus Asmoth and Ranger Cado need to post more before I can get a fix on them.

WEWT

Krusader:
Besides almost inevitable scum-win because BM, anyway.
It's not inevitable, I've definitely seen town win BMs before, so don't be so defeatist.

Heh, sorry, I was referencing all the 'Mafia Wins!' that I saw in the titles of previous BMs.
You can do eet, town!  Show those scummy scum who's boss!

Scintillant:
Comrade Shamrock: What are your current top two picks for scum and why?

My other choice would be masked. I really don't like that question about targets he asked. He also asks hypothetical questions. He dismisses a few of answers as WIFOM. There really isn't much that can be done about that as everything in the question is hypothetical. But it seems like he's disregarding that there is more than one possible answer and reason for things. I'm not sure but in my opinion this encourages tunnel vision which is not good in this game.

How is asking hypothetical questions scummy, Comrade?  We're in the RVS stage, so asking hypothetical questions is generally how it starts.  It starts off the conversations that the rest of the game will be based on.  As for the WIFOM, a lot of it was WIFOM.  Both responses to my mafia target question were pushing suspicion based on speculation of how the mafia would play, which is generally useless for scumhunting.  Also, where did I disregard alternate explanations?  If it seemed like I did, I didn't mean to come off that way.

SBC
Superblackcat
Do you expect any silly gambits this game?
Can you answer this question?

Unvote.
People just be cray cray, yo.
I don't really expect to die from appendicitis after surviving the apocalypse.
I’m not Shakerag!
Sigtext.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30