Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion - Town Wins!  (Read 56262 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #51: Alien Invasion [9/9] - Day 1
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2014, 09:32:18 pm »

Scripten
If a scummy player was lynched, but flipped town, how would you proceed?

Take a look at the wagon that got them lynched. Look for people on the wagon but not particularly committing to it. Move on to other reads. Mislynches are just a fact of the game. Getting too upset over one can shake up your town game.

What about this question do you think suggests at my alignment?

Masked_Krusader, can you please answer the question I asked you in this post?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 09:49:48 pm »

As the discussion begins to heat up, you think to yourself, "What will I decide? Who do I think is acting like an alien?"

Day 1 will end at 2 AM UTC on Friday, November 20th (47-48 hours from now). Weekends will not be counted in the time for a day or a night.

Votes:

Scripten:
Deus Asmoth:
Execute/Dumbo.exe:
masked_krusader:
Comrade Shamrock:
RangerCado:
Scintillant:
Superblackcat: Scripten
Persus13: masked_krusader

Not voting: Everyone else

(Darkstar, can my name get fixed?  :P  I don't wanna be a krudsader.)

It never happened and the government is not hiding the truth  :P.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:25:27 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2014, 09:57:26 pm »

Look, I have to go for No lynch here, I really don't feel confident enough in voting for anyone on the first day.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:45 pm »

Now, explain why you're attacking the strawman that Comrade Shamrock built on a misrepresentation of my play, please?
To be honest, it's because I didn't pay enough attention to your posts. Looking back, I can see that my argument was based on nonexistent evidence, namely that of you asking few questions, which, as you pointed out, is false. Also, I had a slight hunch that you were scum at that point, again based on your lack of questioning, so I piggybacked off of Shamrock's argument since it seemed to hit the same points that I was thinking about. Now that I have reread the thread, I can confidently say that my argument was baseless.
I have no idea.

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2014, 10:45:41 pm »

Look, I have to go for No lynch here, I really don't feel confident enough in voting for anyone on the first day.
I have to agree at this point. Although if our resident lurkers (namely RangerCado and Persus13) don't show their faces soon, my position may change. For now, though, I'm going to vote No Lynch.
I have no idea.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2014, 10:58:10 pm »

Scint: It's just shitty RVS questions by a bad IC. Nothing else. Trying to get people talking. Apparently I don't need to do that.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about people called lurkers not even 2 days into the game.

[IC TALK]
As a 9 person, 2 mafia game, I don't think it's a smart idea to go NL on day 1. We've got 48 hours (- extensions) to talk this out, and there is no reason to just sit back and No Lynch.
[/IC TALK]

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »

Scint: It's just shitty RVS questions by a bad IC. Nothing else. Trying to get people talking. Apparently I don't need to do that.
What exactly does this relate to? Because I looked through my posts and I can't see what it might be talking about. Also, what's up with the "bad IC" part? Neither of the IC's have asked any questions, as far as I can tell.
I have no idea.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 11:17:32 pm »

NU!

I have to agree at this point. Although if our resident lurkers (namely RangerCado and Persus13) don't show their faces soon, my position may change. For now, though, I'm going to vote No Lynch.

NUUUUUUUUUU!

[IC TALK]
As a 9 person, 2 mafia game, I don't think it's a smart idea to go NL on day 1. We've got 48 hours (- extensions) to talk this out, and there is no reason to just sit back and No Lynch.
[/IC TALK]

YESH!

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2014, 11:20:43 pm »

Unvote No Lynch.
I have no idea.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2014, 11:24:47 pm »

Word to the wise. Remember that your votes are your only weapons as town. If you don't use them, the mafia WILL capitalize on that and win. Make them fight for it. Vote!

Use your vote to pressure people. If you find a player scummier than the others, examine why you feel that way. Then, confront them and vote them to show you're serious. Course, that doesn't mean toss your vote around like it's nothing. Remember that the power your vote holds is only as strong as the determination to root out scum behind it.

SuperBlackCat: Could you answer the following, please?

Scint: What thought process would you have if you were the JKer?

Hm.

Unvote Execute/Dumbo.exe
Vote Superblackcat

What sort of alignment-indicative information were you hoping to glean from an answer to that question?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:19 pm »

Alright, lets get this started. Going all the way through and just putting up what I catch.

Spoiler: BIG (click to show/hide)

And now its time for bed for me. I'll try and get a post done earlier tomorrow as I do only have a half day at school. Now stop accusing me of lurking Scintillant because I'm not going to break my promises on posting on a day!

The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2014, 11:29:42 pm »

I apologize Scripten, I though Scint asked that question. Here's the answer:
Scint: It's just shitty RVS questions by a bad IC. Nothing else. Trying to get people talking. Apparently I don't need to do that

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2014, 11:42:32 pm »

I apologize Scripten, I though Scint asked that question. Here's the answer:
Scint: It's just shitty RVS questions by a bad IC. Nothing else. Trying to get people talking. Apparently I don't need to do that

No worries. Our names both start with "s" so it's not an entirely unreasonable mistake to make. Any thoughts on the current game state? What do you think about the various goings-on such as the interaction between myself and Comrade Shamrock, the relationship between Shamrock and Scint where they occasionally seem to echo one another, the push by Execute/Dumbo.exe for a NoLynch, or the mysterious absence of Persus13?

Scintillant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:06 am »

Hoo boy, Ranger, that's a big wall of text  :P

Quote from: RangerCado
Even though this would prevent them from investigating due to being thrown in jail?

As mafia, would your goal be to eliminate the ICs first, or the townie who appears to be doing the most head way? Would this desicion change if you were the only mafia player assuming we lynched a scum day 1?
For the first question, yes. Since they've painted themselves as a power role, then they'd be the most likely target for NK. True, protecting them would also block them, but the way I see it, having them not blocked and not protected would only result in them getting NKed, nullifying the use of allowing them to investigate, cause they can't share their results. I feel that it's much better to have an extra town the next day and have no one get killed, rather than having the cop die with nothing to show for it.
As scum (I'm assuming you're asking who I would NK), I would most likely go for the townie making headway rather than the IC. If the IC isn't making significant headway and is just giving advice, then they'd pose no real threat to me, whereas the progressive townie would be the one with the strongest case against me, so I'd want to get rid of them. However, if I was the last scum, I would rather go for townies that would cause the least suspicion when they died, ideally townies whose deaths put suspicion on someone else.

Quote from: RangerCado
By the end of the day, I mean the RL day as I had school immediately after that post, then had to do some home work and eat dinner, and finally got to doing this which has now taken almost an hour and I'm not yet done with it. Patience, I'm not known for disappearing like that. I WILL get atleast 1-3 posts out each RL day as I normally do... though I find it odd you didn't FOS Persus as well as at this point he has been gone now longer than I.
Got it, no problem  ;)
Un-Fos RangerCado, FoS Persus13
I have no idea.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:25 am »

Scripten: I'm not sure if this actually answers the mafia part of the question. Your basically restating what Scintillant is actually doing. I'd like to know if this is a serious answer, or goofing around. And if it IS goofing around, did you plan to answer this?

Sorry, I can be a wee bit sarcastic occasionally. :P

I was making a point about the question not being particularly useful for RVS. It's interesting, perhaps, assuming the player answers correctly. However, there's no real way for you to use that information when scumhunting. What if they say that they're going to "act as town-like as possible"? Does that change how you read their play? It's also a question that is very easy to lie about without much recompense.

That said, it's not a terrible start. I just don't find the idea of (totally) random questions to be particularly useful. The most useful RVS questions are those that can reveal the alignment of another player or create momentum in the game state. (Preferably out of RVS, where scum have free reign.)

And what mistakes do you believe will be most prominately be made by the new players?

Over reliance on quantitative evidence as opposed to qualitative. It's not really something that can be helped, sadly. New players just don't have the experience to see what things are important and to pick out underlying currents of activity. Hell, most experienced players aren't able to do this with a significant degree of accuracy.

Scint: What thought process would you have if you were the JKer?

Hm.

Unvote Execute/Dumbo.exe
Vote Superblackcat

What sort of alignment-indicative information were you hoping to glean from an answer to that question?
Scripten: This seems a rather odd vote change. Considering that most BMs and actual games are riddled with questions like this on whether you would do this as this role, or this as that role. Not only that, but this is still the RVS stage, and though that often means things like this don't hold MUCH clout, its still odd coming from an IC with that as your question.

My vote change was due to the slight role-fishy feeling of that question. I don't see an answer giving any meaningful information about the player's alignment. However, it could give unnecessary information regarding power roles, which is a decidedly anti-town action. I pressed SBC to see if he had maybe come up with reasoning that I had overlooked.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30