Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should I do?

Revive the game as it was!
- 5 (62.5%)
Restart the game!
- 3 (37.5%)
Let the stupid game die already! JUST LET IT GOOOOOOOO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Echo of Cthulhu: OOC *HERBERT WEST WAZ HERE?*  (Read 14908 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: Echo of Cthulhu: Interest check and Pregame Stuff
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 06:16:07 pm »

I agree, also, where can I get filled in on all this Lovecraft horror? I know about Cthulhu, but I would like to know MOAR
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:14 pm »

Alright, so food/hunger will be represented mechanically.

Should I make this a number, such as 100/100, or represent it in a more realistic way, using the clock to determine how long it takes you to get hungry/starve?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 06:21:20 pm »

100/100 seems fine
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2014, 06:23:18 pm »

I agree, also, where can I get filled in on all this Lovecraft horror? I know about Cthulhu, but I would like to know MOAR

Sorry I forgot to post this! It really depends on how much time you have. His complete works are available online, seeing as his copyright dying out is one of the reasons he is so famous. Wikipedia has a shorter version, and you can Google "Call of Cthulhu" to get a feel for what the general inspiration was like.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »

When are we planing on doing an OOC?

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:18 pm »

The 100/100 might be easier to keep track of so +1 unless someone can give me a reason why basing hunger/thirst around the in-game clock would be better.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2014, 08:41:49 am »

I agree with 100/100
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:59 am »

Humm, looks interesting.

Not sure how to RP a lethal game with no stats, tho...

Here's my basic ideas. Totally written freehand!

Dwarmins Merciless Combat System
1. Determine who attacks first. This is logical, by GM decision-if you open a door and a man has a shotgun drawn, he's going to get you first. Some entities will be much faster than mere human reflexes, and at certain ranges will always strike first. If the situation is in doubt it's considered opposed, however, both players roll a d100 dice, adding their possible bonuses or maluses. Who or whatever rolls the higher number attacks first.
2. The attacker rolls a D100+"Offense Rating". This is a combined attribute, both the accuracy and lethality of the attacker, as well as his position, if advantageous. Sometimes, the roll can be ignored, if an attack could not be conceivably dodged-such as a shotgun fired into an elevator.
3. The defender deducts his "Defense Rating" from the attackers final roll. If the final number is below 50, the attack fails. Otherwise, it is a success. Defense rating is a combination of how effective your armor is against an attack, your position defending from, and if your weapon is capable of defending from it in the case of melee weapons.
4. A successful attack is rolled with a 1d10 and a 1D5. The first number stands for shock sustained, the second for actual lethality of the attack. These numbers are multiplied, and equal damage and such sustained-explained below. Weapons may have additional shock and lethality multipliers, reduced by the defenders armoring.
5. The defender, if still alive, counters.

Damage
Being hurt in DMCS is judged on two levels.

Shock Damage and Lethal Damage, against a characters health, represented by stats called "Life Force" and "Luck"-an ordinary human has 25 LIFE and 50 LUCK. Once you hit -1 LIFE, you die.

When an attack connects, it is either primarily shock, primarily lethal, or a combination of the two. When the damage dice is rolled, whichever is higher of the two numbers-shock or lethal-determines what sort of damage it is. A tied number split the rolled damage is considered lethal.

Shock is temporary-the barely dodged bullet, the claw that swipes inches from your face. Shock damage lowers all your D100 rolls by that same amount, but it usually heals very quickly outside of combat, assuming you can rest and recover your wits. Shock damage is reduced from your LUCK score-once you have no more LUCK, all further damage is lethal.

Lethal damage is just that. Bleeding wounds, broken bones, screaming pain. It is reduced from your LIFE score. Lethal damage lowers all your d100 rolls by 4x the amount you've taken. You can only gain a small amount of LP back in combat, compared to LUCK-it requires actual medical attention. [TBD?]

And, the Gm can keep ALL the stats, and rolls secret if he wants.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:35:34 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2014, 02:20:32 pm »

Humm, looks interesting.

Not sure how to RP a lethal game with no stats, tho...

Here's my basic ideas. Totally written freehand!

Dwarmins Merciless Combat System
1. Determine who attacks first. This is logical, by GM decision-if you open a door and a man has a shotgun drawn, he's going to get you first. Some entities will be much faster than mere human reflexes, and at certain ranges will always strike first. If the situation is in doubt it's considered opposed, however, both players roll a d100 dice, adding their possible bonuses or maluses. Who or whatever rolls the higher number attacks first.
2. The attacker rolls a D100+"Offense Rating". This is a combined attribute, both the accuracy and lethality of the attacker, as well as his position, if advantageous. Sometimes, the roll can be ignored, if an attack could not be conceivably dodged-such as a shotgun fired into an elevator.
3. The defender deducts his "Defense Rating" from the attackers final roll. If the final number is below 50, the attack fails. Otherwise, it is a success. Defense rating is a combination of how effective your armor is against an attack, your position defending from, and if your weapon is capable of defending from it in the case of melee weapons.
4. A successful attack is rolled with a 1d10 and a 1D5. The first number stands for shock sustained, the second for actual lethality of the attack. These numbers are multiplied, and equal damage and such sustained-explained below. Weapons may have additional shock and lethality multipliers, reduced by the defenders armoring.
5. The defender, if still alive, counters.

Damage
Being hurt in DMCS is judged on two levels.

Shock Damage and Lethal Damage, against a characters health, represented by stats called "Life Force" and "Luck"-an ordinary human has 25 LIFE and 50 LUCK. Once you hit -1 LIFE, you die.

When an attack connects, it is either primarily shock, primarily lethal, or a combination of the two. When the damage dice is rolled, whichever is higher of the two numbers-shock or lethal-determines what sort of damage it is. A tied number split the rolled damage is considered lethal.

Shock is temporary-the barely dodged bullet, the claw that swipes inches from your face. Shock damage lowers all your D100 rolls by that same amount, but it usually heals very quickly outside of combat, assuming you can rest and recover your wits. Shock damage is reduced from your LUCK score-once you have no more LUCK, all further damage is lethal.

Lethal damage is just that. Bleeding wounds, broken bones, screaming pain. It is reduced from your LIFE score. Lethal damage lowers all your d100 rolls by 4x the amount you've taken. You can only gain a small amount of LP back in combat, compared to LUCK-it requires actual medical attention. [TBD?]

And, the Gm can keep ALL the stats, and rolls secret if he wants.

An interesting system, though how high is the standard defense rating? Or offense rating, for that matter. If both are equal, this basically gives everything a coin toss chance of happening. I would have to learn the right numbers for everything to keep it balanced, but am willing to go with it if everyone else likes the system and thinks it is fairly realistic. At the very least, I think it is a good fit for the Coc-style game. The shock/health values are pretty unique, and could take into account things like suppressing fire as "shock damage", and cover as a defense value.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2014, 02:39:09 pm »

I figure most rolls will be a half and half chance, but the average attack rating will always be somewhat higher than average defense rating, assuming well matched foes-probably something like double it's amount. I think getting the drop on someone should really count in a lethal system like ours. I mean, shoot first is a good strategy...dodging bullets is NOT something you want your players to think they can do. They should be afraid of being attacked, not thinking "I'll just tank it!'

I can work on the numbers a bit later, if there's any interest in developing it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »

Well I barely understood any of that but i'm a idiot and it sound interesting so sure if you guys want to do it +1.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2014, 03:08:42 pm »

Well, it's mostly an simple, RP centric thing.

The GM and the players through their actions, have the say if an attack can even be rolled-see aforementioned shotgun in an elevator. You can't miss. A normal human and most anything with flesh and blood would be dead, dead, dead. Nyarlathotep could probably survive though...

If a roll is judged to be in dispute, there is fair chance for it go either way. There should be doubt in the outcome for their to be a roll-off, and some encounters won't even need attack or defense rolls.

And still, rolling double fives with no modifiers would be instant death, as it's written now-when you run out of luck, pretty much the next hit is going to finish you off. If you really want it to be a lethal system!

Of course, we could make two more stats and use the same system to indicate attacks on ones sanity...

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2014, 03:15:19 pm »

So what your saying is that every time we go into combat there is a good chance that one or all of us is going to die pretty fast right? Well either us or the enemy.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »

You can't have realistic combat and not have it be very risky.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2014, 03:19:47 pm »

True. If that's what you guys want to do i'm all for it +1. (Again.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27