Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should I do?

Revive the game as it was!
- 5 (62.5%)
Restart the game!
- 3 (37.5%)
Let the stupid game die already! JUST LET IT GOOOOOOOO!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Echo of Cthulhu: OOC *HERBERT WEST WAZ HERE?*  (Read 14895 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Echo of Cthulhu: OOC *HERBERT WEST WAZ HERE?*
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:05:37 pm »

Humanity fell. Most of it, anyway. Does anyone believe this was anything but inevitable? There is so much horror in our universe, it was only amount of time before someone succeeded in knocking us down a peg.

Echo Of Cthulhu is an RPG I have had an idea for for a little bit. Essentially it would be a survival game, in the same vain as the many many zombie survival game out there. Except instead of zombies, there is sanity stealing horrors, cultists, and other unpleasantness roaming the streets.

Of course, normally I just go in and start writing, but I would like my potential players to have a say in how this game would go. So I am looking for feedback about the mechanics, feel, and general game play. Should it be a bleak and realistic horror game, with each player making it out on their own? A hopeful and optimistic fight against the monsters with action movie physics where every player is part of one party? Should resources be rare and necessary for survival, with stats for hunger thirst and sleep, or only needed for plot? Should it even be an RPG? I hope to stat a conversation about all of these things. Any feedback or interest?

IC Up! I will have to update all the above stuff later. For now, here is the character sheet so we can begin playing.

Name:
Appearance:
Skills: (We did decide on the skill system, right?)
Inventory:
Child-bio: (Will be changed after time-skip)z
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:15:34 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: Echo of Cthulhu: Interest check and Pregame Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:55 pm »

I like the sound of it, and I would prefer it to be difficult and realistic. I want to feel like I can't take risk without chance of death.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:23 pm »

I'm up for this kind of thing. I agree with Yourmaster, too.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:27 pm »

It sounds interesting. I also agree with Yourmaster.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:50:05 pm »

I agree with spaghetti god.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:14 pm »

I'm interested. I've always wanted to play a game about the daily struggles of post apocalyptic life.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »

All right, the game seems to have a lot of interest already, which is always nice. The general consensus seems to be on "difficult and realistic.". What degree of realism is desired? Are we talking Phoenix Command level "Every Bullet is Tracked" style battle simulator? Or a more abstract version, like Gurps?

Also important is the food and resource use. Realistic and difficult means using these realistically. Should I add them? An idea I had for this is for an in-game clock to countdown the time, making it simple to tell when you need to do something, rather than a more narrative time. Ex:

10:00. You get up and start searching for food.
11:00 You stop, getting hungry.

Except, of course, a lot more detailed. Using these and figures from Google, I could probably make a somewhat realistic basis for how much food and water you need over time.

As for the realism of the enemies, how should I handle that? I am, of course, not going to let you on to everything about them. Mystery is what makes them what they are. But should the cultists have access to actual magic? Technology that looks like magic? Should the Mythos be simply poorly understood creatures of flesh and blood, or fully beyond human understanding? Is the sanity loss caused by magic, or just your human mind cracking under the influence?

Also, should I add a SAN meter like COC? If so, how difficult should it be to raise? I would imagine that living in the world as it is would make you a bit harder to drive insane, though a lower number would make the game more difficult. Should I keep the SAN meter hidden, so not even you know your own sanity?

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:05:46 pm »

Well if we do have SAN meter it will be hard to act insane if we don't know we are insane so yeah. You talked about groups in the OP I think we should at least start in groups. What about you guys what do you think?
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 08:08:41 pm »

Well if we do have SAN meter it will be hard to act insane if we don't know we are insane so yeah. You talked about groups in the OP I think we should at least start in groups. What about you guys what do you think?

Do crazy people know they are insane? I could subtly change the world around you as you lose sanity, making you act crazy without realizing it until later when someone tells you. That could be fun.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 08:10:08 pm »

That does sound cool. If we do have it I think we should have it hidden then.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »

It sounds interesting.

And I think it should be something like Arma or... Oh, brain zap! Shadow of Chernobyl. I think that was pretty good.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:12:43 pm »

What's Shadow of Chernobyl?

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 08:12:52 pm »

I agree. 

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 08:13:39 pm »

For monsters, take a look at SoultoCall That's pretty much this but webcomic form. Might give you some ideas~

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »

The in game clock sounds interesting. I think there should be magic and that the mythos should be beyond regular human understanding. I don't think magic should cause insanity. Of course I want to hear what the others think should happen too. Tell me of your feelings on these matters.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:29:34 pm by Prophet »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27