Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 24871 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: IT BEGINS
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2014, 01:12:48 am »

I'm not technically doing NaNo, but I've racked up a respectable wordcount in these few days, so I'd like to answer the genre question. Military scifi! Focusing on the evolution of the all-female 122nd 'Furies of [world yet to be named]' regiment from green, inexperienced unit to a determined veteran force.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2014, 01:35:49 am »

Slow plot and writing pace, but I'm working on it! I started a few days late, so while I'm down, I still hold out hope. Maybe when THE PLOT ACTUALLY GETS GOING DANGIT STOP WRITING INTRO ALREADY BUT I LOVE WORLDBUILDING AND ITS SO EASY TO WRITE GAH.

This was a mini-rant. I'm actually fairly happy with my progress. That, and busy embedding dwarf fortress and yu-gi-oh references into my story.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2014, 02:03:48 am »

What genre is everyone doing? I'd assume fantasy/sci-fi would be the more common, but is anyone doing anything else?

Mine is something like horror. I don't want to give too much away about it because I'm posting it all online every day and spoilers. There's definitely quite a bit more to it than just a ghost story, but that will unfold with time. For once, there is no sci-fi or fantasy in it. Hooray for trying new things!

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:23 am »

What genre is everyone doing? I'd assume fantasy/sci-fi would be the more common, but is anyone doing anything else?

Well, I guess I'm trying to do sci-fi but swinging more toward a cleaner cyberpunk.

Sequence break in the writing because I was focused more with how my story should develop and characterization then actually typing it up but I jumped on an idea I had yesterday.  Currently at 9,800-ish words and I should hit closer to 10k before I go to sleep.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2014, 03:08:17 am »

Sci-fi. AI and such. Some romance, assuming I ever get that far.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2014, 03:16:30 am »

What do you know, also science fiction. Mostly about a guy becoming increasingly disillusioned with the total inhumanity of his environment.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2014, 04:27:04 am »

Well after a grueling session, wading through a completely bogged down scene, and a huge pile o' dialog I finally managed to drag my word count up to a near-respectable total. 8500, and with the next scenes up I'll definitely get a head start for the day after tomorrow. As soon as I pass out. But 10k words and the book's first action scene, ahoy!

When I get my lead back I'll come back to everyone's excerpts and post another one of mine.

I will say I think there's a lot more participants and motivation than last year, so that's pretty awesome.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2014, 12:37:30 pm »

I'm not really doing anything else. The only genre outside science fiction and fantasy I'd feel comfortable writing would be romance. Maybe a thriller or contemporary drama, though I'd just as soon write either of those in a science fiction setting.

Mine's Epic Fantasy, I suppose I'd call it. Lots of inspiration from history and a bit from contemporary fantasy. Trying to stay as free of Tolkien-isms as possible, but I have no doubt some will creep in.

Ah, yes, mine would be the same. I find it hard to avoid such things as are already over cliched. I try to think of a race, for example, and only Tolkien ones spring to mind. Well, not only those-I do have some imagination- but they clutter the mind and make original thinking hard.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »

To quote the interview with Neil Gaiman, the video clip of which I posted a few days ago:

"If you want to be the next Tolkien, don't read big Tolkienesque fantasy. Tolkien didn't read big Tolkienesque fantasy, he read books on Finnish philology!"

In other words, if you want to be original, you have to draw your inspiration from somewhere outside the genre you're writing in. Otherwise you're basically doomed to write more of the same, and I have to say, I do get a little tired of all the Tolkien clones out there. I definitely support people who want to do something new. : )

Today has been the longest, hardest day I've had in a good long while. I'm just sitting down to write now, at 7 pm, and my head is full of bumble bees. I know I'm quite a ways ahead already, and I don't really need to write too much today to stay on target, but I like being ahead. It would be nice to not use up that lead so early in the month, especially knowing that on Saturday, I probably won't get to write at all. (Up at 4:30, traveling to another city, all-day boring pointless teaching convention where my boss will be breathing down my neck pushing me to try to get new subscribers, long trip home in the evening...)

So here I go, wondering how I'm going to work the word "chouse" into this segment, or whether it would be better to just abandon the word of the day thing for today, since I have other ideas already...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:48 pm »

To chouse me, fate threw in my path....[something]
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

That, and busy embedding dwarf fortress and yu-gi-oh references into my story.

I actually used the phrase "It was inevitable." by one of the characters in my novel. Too meta? Nope.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2014, 02:11:50 pm »

To chouse me, fate threw in my path....[something]

'Chouse' becomes 'chice' in my head, because of plurals and mice even though it's a verb. 'Chice' is Cape coloured slang for 'hit on'.

To hit on me, fate threw in my path...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »

It's not that I couldn't find a use for the word, it's that my first-person narrator is a child. A child who writes with long, but grammatically simple, sentences and thinks in an extremely literal way. A flowery word like that would just... never enter her vocabulary.

And it means "trick," basically. To chouse someone into doing something means to trick them into doing it. It's a word that's been out of use for over 100 years. It's an interesting word for a dictionary word of the day, but not particularly useful for a story about a child in a modern setting. So I think I'll just try to incorporate the meaning of the word, rather than the word itself, like I did with malapropism. Just have someone tricking someone into something.

Or I can just ignore it and write what I want. : )

EDIT: Or I can give up, go to bed, and write double tomorrow, since I'm working from home. I am soooooooo tired I could fall asleep right. now.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »

Because I've been feeling kind of depressed recently and missed a day and today sort of, I am either going to need to write quadruple tomorrow when I might be able or write double today when I'm feeling like shit.
This isn't going to be fun either way.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2014, 04:41:41 pm »

Took a few hours, but managed a little over 1300 words in the end. My lead is slipping slightly, but I'm still doing well. Hopefully tomorrow I can do much better, in case I don't manage to write on Saturday.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21