Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 24833 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: IT BEGINS
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2014, 10:53:39 am »

It's a few days in and I haven't had the time, plan or motivation to write a single word. I'm not gonna be able to complete this.

It's only a few days in and you have nearly a month left. You're giving up before you even start! Definitely can't finish that way. Don't worry about putting together a coherent story. Try just improv writing something every day. Whatever you write, someday might be usable for something else. And you may surprise yourself and discover that just making stuff up as you go works out great.

Write when you can. Write instead of playing video games or reading or watching TV. Write stream of consciousness nonsense about what you dreamed about last night. Write anything. Just write. You can do it!

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2014, 11:26:34 am »

Gah. There's no way this is going to be possible... I am already having doubts as to my ability to write that much.

Everyone does. What do you lose by trying?

I also have a feeling that this little gem will keep coming up every page so here it is again:

If you aren't on pace, don't give up. If you run out of ideas, drop some ninjas on your protagonist or something and let them spend a chapter dealing with random plot ninjas... but don't give up. If you aren't done by December first, DON'T GIVE UP! The greatest novel never written is worse than the shittiest first draft in the history of literature... because whoever wrote that shitty draft had the grit and vinegar to get it done.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:33:47 am by Malt_Hitman »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2014, 11:40:26 am »

Here's my go-to motivational video. Neil Gaiman talking about inspiration, discipline, and just putting one word after another. This short video got me through last year's NaNo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drMuQqLLEe0&list=FL-6ss_82NoyYwPPilaBx58A&index=2

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2014, 11:40:44 am »

And there's that patented November madness. I swear the year concentrates most of it's shit to be dumped over this month.

Gotta get some extra words in, I don't think it's socially acceptable to write fiction while attending a funeral.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2014, 11:42:22 am »

It's a few days in and I haven't had the time, plan or motivation to write a single word. I'm not gonna be able to complete this.

Sappho's right. Just sit down and put words on a page, eventually if nothing else you'll get bored and make something up to fill the space, and it will probably be a story of some kind.

I finally got far enough ahead (6000 words) to do some reading, so I'm doing feedback to procrastinate and lose my lead! yay!

@Sappho:
I'm fascinated by your premise and I adore the girl. She reminds me a lot of Luna Lovegood, and the relationship with grandpa is sweet. I didn't make it through the third chapter though, because block after block of text and straight exposition is a little tiring on my eyes. More dialog would help a bunch.

@Malt_hitman:
The names are odd and pull me out of the story, but the mad science is intriguing and I laughed out loud at the end. The experiments sound horrible and the director is probably a bastard but I kinda like the guy anyway.

@inEQUALITY:
I'm taking notes about your action sequences, mine were terribly bland and boring last year. You manage to imply a great deal about the narrator through his reflections of the other characters, and that's great. I'd probably steal that skill, too, if I could. However, the big chunk of narrative exposition in there throws me out of the story, and I'd prefer if it was inserted subtly into the action instead by having the main character use the techniques he knows against his little bro, and describe them/his training that way.

And my contribution. I wavered between the foreword and first chapter, then settled on the first chapter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2014, 11:53:42 am »

It's only a few days in and you have nearly a month left. You're giving up before you even start! Definitely can't finish that way. Don't worry about putting together a coherent story. Try just improv writing something every day. Whatever you write, someday might be usable for something else. And you may surprise yourself and discover that just making stuff up as you go works out great.

Write when you can. Write instead of playing video games or reading or watching TV. Write stream of consciousness nonsense about what you dreamed about last night. Write anything. Just write. You can do it!
Gah. There's no way this is going to be possible... I am already having doubts as to my ability to write that much.

Everyone does. What do you lose by trying?
Well, for one, I lose time to do other more important things. I also don't have any private place to type, or even a reason to. Nothing will happen, even if by some fluke I manage to make time to do this, I have the support of nobody else in my family and absolutely no plan about what to write, other than the fact that it's apparently okay to write down random things.

I wasn't asking for motivation, I was just trying to say that I'm not in the mood to participate.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2014, 12:01:55 pm »

@Sappho:
I'm fascinated by your premise and I adore the girl. She reminds me a lot of Luna Lovegood, and the relationship with grandpa is sweet. I didn't make it through the third chapter though, because block after block of text and straight exposition is a little tiring on my eyes. More dialog would help a bunch.

And my contribution. I wavered between the foreword and first chapter, then settled on the first chapter.

Thanks for reading mine! I understand what you mean about the exposition. Although I want some aspects of the character to remain ambiguous, one thing that's definitely clear for me is that she's autistic (like me). It makes it easier for me to write, especially since this whole thing is unplanned, because I can basically write the way I actually think in real life. This means that priorities are sorting through all the mess of details that are constantly bombarding the senses, as well as interesting information, with almost no focus on spoken words. I can't remember any conversations from when I was young because I didn't learn to properly process spoken conversation until much later (and I'm still not great at it).

I've seen some books using this sort of style, all observations and thoughts and not much dialogue, and it worked pretty well, but of course, that may be a matter of taste. I will certainly keep in mind that it might get boring for some people and try to work some more dialogue in. There will definitely be more action soon as the story kicks into gear (and as I figure out what the story is). If I ever do decide to clean this up and try to publish it, I definitely expect that a lot of these first few days will be cut down to their most interesting bits, so the final draft would be less slow and wall-of-exposition-y than the way it is now.

As for yours, thanks for sharing! I like your style. Somewhat reminiscent of Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett, though without the over-the-top goofiness. More, please!

Now, enough procrastinating... I need to go do my word count for today. The Merriam-Webster word of the day is "demagogue." Hmmmm.....

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »

@inEQUALITY:
I'm taking notes about your action sequences, mine were terribly bland and boring last year. You manage to imply a great deal about the narrator through his reflections of the other characters, and that's great. I'd probably steal that skill, too, if I could. However, the big chunk of narrative exposition in there throws me out of the story, and I'd prefer if it was inserted subtly into the action instead by having the main character use the techniques he knows against his little bro, and describe them/his training that way.

Wow, I appreciate the compliments! Hopefully I can keep it up with other character's perspectives, since I'll be jumping about from chapter to chapter as the story unfolds. So different characters will likely see the others differently, and so forth. It'll be interesting to experiment with.

I agree, my exposition there at the end was definitely too much. I think I tried to really drive home some line of thought or another there and really overdid it, and it ended up becoming something I didn't intend. But no excuses. I think I do that too often, terrible technique though it is, to learn things about my own characters on the first drafts. I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind when I clean that up next year, when I start revising.

And I like that snippet! As Sappho said, it's definitely reminiscent of Pratchett, or even a toned-down Adams. But it's unique enough not to feel like a mimic. Which is good. I did notice a few places where punctuation and pacing could be changed about a bit, but still: very nice!

Well, back to the grind I go. 1800 words down for the day; ~1600 to go.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:29:23 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2014, 02:42:04 pm »

I've just posted today's update. Still going strong at 2000 words a day!

Today's section was a lot more interesting, I think, than the first few were. A plot is beginning to take shape, I dare to believe. Very interested in feedback, if anyone is able to spare the time to give it a read. (Link is in my sig if you missed it.)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2014, 02:56:36 pm »

Damn guys, that's pretty high praise, thank you so much! Now I'm afraid I misrepresented myself because Arty's just fumbling drunk. I'll see if any other good scenes turn up... I'm only 33 words into my 2k goal today so I've gotta get crackin'.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2014, 03:13:32 pm »

3489 words today. I think I've found my rhythm with my heightened goal for the month. Not sure I'll keep up the 3.34k+ per day after November - I've been doing ~2k for my short fiction before NaNo started and been fine with that. If I do, then great; if not, then oh well, I at least did it for a month.

The plot, of which I had absolutely nothing but a sketchy idea planned ahead of time, is starting to take shape on my end too. Too bad I'm intending for there to be a few plot threats, spread across even more perspectives, so I still have a few more things to come up with. It might get easier once I get everything going and starting to come to a head at the end, but that's a few 10000 word chunks away from now.

I think I'm going to have to reduce these chapter sizes a bit though, for future chapters, if I'm going to get to the end by 100k. Right now, both finished chapters are at 20 pages (assuming 300 - 350 words per page, industry standard) each, give or take. That's not going to work past the introductory chapters, I think, to have everything unfold at a proper pace. Then again, these sorts of chapters may just be slow by their nature and it'll pick up soon. I don't know. I'm a bit of a neophyte at writing novel-length fiction. This is all unexplored territory for me, sans last year's NaNo. Which hardly counts.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:34 am »

I finally got around to actually writing today. I was able get through it by repeating to myself that nothing is canon and I can always change things around later if I want. So here's the opening scene, as it is now:

All things, including names, are subject to change. I'm at 822 words so far.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2014, 01:54:19 am »

* Sirus looks at some of these insane WPD counts
* Sirus looks at his own <1000 word novel
* Sirus curses his inability to use a computer while working
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2014, 02:00:31 am »

I finally got around to actually writing today. I was able get through it by repeating to myself that nothing is canon and I can always change things around later if I want. So here's the opening scene, as it is now:

All things, including names, are subject to change. I'm at 822 words so far.

Hooray for writing! Looks like you have a good start. Personally, I find it a bit difficult to read in the present tense, but that's just personal preference and doesn't mean it's wrong at all. I do have one tip for you, since you're using a lot of placeholders: choose a placeholder word for each of these things and stick with it. That way, later on when you figure out what they're really called, you can just search and replace all instances of that word. Much easier than going through manually and replacing each one. You can choose words that are sure not to come up in your story, such as "Robot," "Platypus," "Facebook," or anything that you know will never be a part of your setting. It also makes it easier to keep track of which character is which, and takes away the pressure to think of names now. As long as you have *something* to call them, you can keep track of who's who and work on their characters, and then easily change the name once you think of something suitable. If it makes it easier, pick a word which is related to their character. "Archington" instead of (archer dude), for example.

Keep up the good work!

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2014, 02:11:41 am »

Kadzar, wonderful start!  :D  I know having problems with names as I have plenty of trouble with them.  In order to get going I just decided to make some up based on puns.  I have character named Ahh and Ihd which I can have my MC work into puns if I can get that creative.  Also, everything Sappho said while I was typing is awesome too.

* Sirus looks at some of these insane WPD counts
* Sirus looks at his own <1000 word novel
* Sirus curses his inability to use a computer while working

I can't use a computer for writing while I'm at work either but I try and get by working through stuff in my head.  Get a good enough idea fleshed out and then you just need to type spam it out when you're free.  If you can take the distractions that come along with that.

I'll be over my 2k/day goal when I finally get around to uploading this but I hit my first bit of writer's block-ish behavior.  I have stuff to write but it would be out of order.  That was one of my major faults last time so I really just need to push through and decided to try adding some humor for a change.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21