Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2014: It's Over!  (Read 24857 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2014, 11:29:45 pm »

Just 2.5 hours to go until November 1st!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:33 pm »

You know, I think I should give this a shot. I'm going to (attempt to) write a 100-page short story in the mode of existential horror.

Here's a preview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2014, 01:20:49 am »

I started it an hour ago.  1000 words in.  I could start a thread here if people are interested - otherwise my current progress is here.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2014, 01:46:00 am »

I just started as well, a few minutes past midnight local time and racked up 1,023 total.  I guess I should plan for somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 per day to keep on track barring the occasional setback.  I was hoping to get my protagonist killed before heading to bed but that will have to wait until after I wake up later today.

How are people considering approaching structure for their works?  I was considering trying to break everything down into 3 parts, with ~3k words per chapter which would give me around 16 or 17 chapters.  So 5 chapters per "part" and then maybe a epilogue to eat up whatever is left.  First time doing this so I think I might be sweating the smaller details more than I should be.  :-[

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2014, 01:51:51 am »

Hmm... I think I shall start a blog and post each day's writing for all to see. I'm not making a serious effort at writing an actual novel, just using this as a writing exercise, so this might motivate me to write more. Would anyone be interested in reading that? I know we're all pressed for time with all the writing we'll be doing, but it really helps keep me going when I know someone is waiting for me.

Actually, I'm just going to do it: http://meganleeprose.wordpress.com/

I've written an introductory post already. 500 words that don't even count towards my daily writing. I think I'm procrastinating wrong.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:39:26 am by Sappho »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2014, 03:02:55 am »

I just signed up as Kadzar. Probably should have done that sooner, but I'm a bit of a procrastinator, which is sort of why I decided to do this in the first place. So people can buddy me if they want, for whatever it's worth.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2014, 05:39:06 am »

Day 1 complete, at 2041 words. I'm going to shoot for 2000 whenever possible, so that on the days when I can't write at all, I won't fall behind.

http://meganleeprose.wordpress.com/

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2014, 07:24:47 am »

I wasn't going to do this, but... I've been writing a lot these past two days, and inspiration just isn't stopping. So... maybe? But I shouldn't. Aaaaah. I know that if I joined, I'd go for VICTORY at the expense of everything important I should be focusing on right now.

hnnngh
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2014, 10:45:10 am »

Just realised 20 minutes ago that yes, it is November. Halloween has totally slayed my brain. Written 700 words so far and it reads like something that a practicing 4th-language-english-student of three days would scrawl while having a manic episode.

But... they're words right? They still count? Please?

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2014: IT BEGINS
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2014, 02:19:10 pm »

2058 words today, at least for now. Falling short of the ~3.34k per day I need to hit my 100k goal, and even more so of the 4k daily count I need to hit for the 120k goal I was thinking of shooting for. But I'm running on a few hours of sleep and a half cup of black coffee today, which isn't the best shape to be in for this.

On the bright side, I easily passed the daily minimum for the normal 50k goal, which means I'm doing just as well as I was last year. So that's something.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:29:36 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 02:47:55 pm »

Gah. There's no way this is going to be possible... I am already having doubts as to my ability to write that much.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

Gah. There's no way this is going to be possible... I am already having doubts as to my ability to write that much.

Everyone does. What do you lose by trying?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2014, 12:38:25 am »

But... they're words right? They still count? Please?

Everything counts if you're willing to write it down.  I woke up this morning, reviewed what I wrote, and had a similar feeling about the quality of my output.

Sappho, I'd like to thank you for putting your writing up on a blog.  I read a little bit of it and it certainly helped to motivate me. :)

My current count comes in at a little over 3,700.  Also, I threw this up as my novel excerpt on the site.  It's the "ending" to my chapter 1 so I'm not sure if it's good to represent but I think it's the best, and most recent, thing that I've written.  If exposure to another's writings will help or motive you in any way please have a look.  Tell me what you think if you'd like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:43:03 am by Malt_Hitman »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2014, 12:51:44 am »

Figures that the first day of NaNo would be a long, long work day as well.

Only got 344 words done in my short spare time, and I can't summon the creative energy to do more tonight. Not a great start to the month :<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:02 am »

Since November kind of crept up on me (as do most months and events, due to my natural inability to perceive the passage of time), I'm still working on an outline and coming up with characters. The outline apparently has 714 words in it, though, if that counts (I doubt it does, but it does have some dialogue in it because I do not know how to outline like a normal human being) and the characters' sheet somehow has 100 words to it. I should probably sleep soon.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21