Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Infinifactory, new game from Zachtronics  (Read 10588 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinifactory, new game from Zachtronics
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 01:54:59 pm »

Its out!  But its early access, so I guess its not done.   :P  The page says it'll be 3 to 6 months until its out of Early Access.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »

Well, it seem pretty good, but I'm just at the tutorial levels :p I liked the intro.

Seem like the spacechem score sharing thing is not active yet, but will be implemented later. One of the best features of spacechem imo, glad it will be back in.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 06:59:57 pm »

Well, first impression is that it's what you might get if Portal, Spacechem, and Minecraft had a baby.

The puzzles are interesting thus far, however one thing that has been conspicuously absent so far is

The story is told through audio logs this time, although one thing I would like to see in the finished version is subtitles (or, at the least, audio transcripts once the logs have been found). Not really a big deal for me, and the logs so far have been thematically appropriate (at least the ones I can understand - my language abilities don't extend that far).

Working with timings and setups in three dimensions is even more awkward sometimes than in two; my Spacechem solutions (especially late-game) tended to look like red and blue spaghetti as I made use of as much space as I needed (what's 'efficiency'?), and when you have to worry about putting physical obstructions in the path of your components... it gets a little tangled.

Oh! Also if you're a Minecraft player you may need to get used to the controls as they're basically the reverse of them (left click places, right click removes). On the plus side when you accidentally remove a block you can just hit Z to undo - good luck trying that in MC when you accidentally flood your redstone contraptions.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 07:45:28 pm »

Zachtronics is great, he made the Codex of Alchemical Engineering and some other really intense programming games in flash.  Didn't he make Infiniminer too?  He did make Infiniminer, as the linked page says.  I didn't play it much but it was a freeware 2-team, class-based competitive minecraft (not a mod, in fact it might have predated minecraft slightly?)  This is probably related.

AFAIK Infiniminer was in inspiration for minecraft.
People used to refer to Minecraft as an Infiniminer knockoff.
Some of us still do if the two come up in a conversation...
Memories are fickle. :D
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 06:22:32 am »

Just posting to say that i really liked it and wish that it was weekend to play the shit out of it....

Also first 100 completionists (100% done) will get an iron patch from the creator Zach.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:01 am »

Well, just did a 100% of it; it's pretty great, and I look forward to the rest of it. Not too hard, nor patronizingly easy like most "puzzle" games. I found the most entertaining part was building assembly stations with lots of moving parts. Pistons on pistons and so on, with welders flying around into place and giving the whole thing a robotic factory vibe. Difficulty and complexity curves are about right; though there's a couple in the last set which are a bit too easy. There's a few simple tricks for assembly of a bunch of same-block parts, so I'm kind of hoping future puzzles have both much larger objects and more heterogeneous parts.

Edit: And while I posted this, it seems it updated, and how has a 'test zone' inserted in there, for free-build testing of ideas. Also modified the level introducing rotators (makes sense, that one was a bit of a difficulty spike out of the blue early on), so you need to redo that to unlock them again. They also made the sensors silent instead of the constant PLING PLING PLING PLING PLING.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:56:49 am by alway »

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 01:17:10 am »

Well, first impression is that it's what you might get if Portal, Spacechem, and Minecraft had a baby.

Loved spacechem, even if it made me nosebleeding trying to optimize everything. :p

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 11:28:40 am »

So, what have you guys made in the Test Zone? I saw that Notch managed to create a Rule 110 generation algorithm. In response, I just finished up a Turing Machine that can perform the Busy Beaver function with 4 states. Might make it 5, but not sure if the game would crash at that scale (4098 1's and 8191 0's over 47,176,870 steps versus the 13 1's and 1 0 over 107 steps for 4 states). Will nab pictures when it stops slowly killing my computer.

EDIT: Can't do it at 5. Game deletes blocks after 500 are off of the edge of the screen (invisible wall), so no way to get nearly the size of tape that I need for this to work.
Ah, I know some of these words!
I'm with stupid |
                      v

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »

Well, I confirmed that you can build a 6-axis inchworm-drive. Further, there's a lot you can do with the fact that factory parts you place will themselves behave exactly like blocks you're processing if not attached to the ground.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 04:34:51 am »

Hehehe, just got a footprint score of 141 on the Terrestrial Drone level. As in the really tricky level. :D

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »

I'm at the level where you have to replace a ship's engines. A built a gigantic clusterfuck which destroys the engines and then gets new engines, places them at ship level, puts them one after another in place, welds them, redirects new blocks to the other side, again arranges them and welds, then pistons down welders from above which weld the engines to the ship. All while shredding 3/4s of input.

This turned out to be so slow that the next ship comes in and is welded to the first one. Delaying tactics managed to allow me to construct 7-8 ships before this happens. I LOVE this game.

By the way, is it running slower and slower over time for you? It eats up more resources than most games I play.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »

It does eat a lot of ressource on my pc, but it only get slower as I add parts, like that one map where I did a really over complicated system, with a footprint of around 600.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:19 pm »

PTW. Got the game yesterday, played it through already. So awesome.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2015, 06:27:46 am »

Oh my... the first major update is out!
http://zachtronics.com/infiniupdate-1/

Spoiler: Full patch notes (click to show/hide)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 2 [3]