Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Great River Politics [11/20]  (Read 31550 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great River Politics [11/20]
« Reply #360 on: October 11, 2014, 09:57:36 pm »

Modifiers?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 11, 2014, 09:59:59 pm »

Modifiers?

Yes

I will be using D 20 probably and size, strength, and moral modifiers added
With a max Of 30 and a min of 0
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 11, 2014, 10:12:39 pm »

((I would also add in training, tactics and terrain modifiers as well.))

"Given the severity of those demands, along with the aggressiveness to which Demestris has pursued such an annexation that, from what we know about, is wholly unfair to the populace of Sigylguard, therefore we have no option but to condemn this attack and propose a full embargo on Demestris as a result."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 11, 2014, 10:30:56 pm »

Demestris is saddened by the actions taken by the Duchy of Aerindinus, however it must be known that this war is not unfair towards the populace of Sigylguard. They had it coming, after all.

[GAME NEWS]
Will be trying some different types of war mechanics tomorrow
Anybody got suggestions on how they want it
I'm probably just going to do attack vet defence rolls till either the armies surrender/retreat or get completely killed
If the other player has a copy of Rome 2, then it's possible that we can just settle it in a multiplayer battle. :)
A more feasible option however, is to do the battle in a modified Crusader Kings 2-style. I'll post it here in a bit.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 11, 2014, 10:32:52 pm »

-SNIP-
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 11, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »

If the other player has a copy of Rome 2, then it's possible that we can just settle it in a multiplayer battle. :)
A more feasible option however, is to do the battle in a modified Crusader Kings 2-style. I'll post it here in a bit.

We should probably just do what he has planned. I don't have either of those (video?) games and never played them. This would probably give you a massive advantage over everyone else, seeing as you suggested it. What is wrong with the good old D20?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:37 pm »

Ok from this moment forth if any secret messages of game stuffs are passed along personal message without my knowing and I find out I will lock this thread

If you want to send a secret message to another city state just include me in the pm for if nothing else my ease of knowing what the heck is going on

That being said a note was passed in the great hall between two delegates
((Taricus to Andres))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 11, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »

I have thought up a few modifiers for general variables based around the game's concepts and D20 systems, that are of course suggestions and fit to alteration and be discussed.

Terrain [Offensive Penalties]:

Plains: Easily accessible and transversable, optimal fighting ground for invasion force. +1
Woods: Some trees and vegetation. -0
Hills: Uneven gradients, difficult to move through. -2
Forest: Thick trees, rough ground, massive vegetation, canopy blocks sunlight. -3
Ice Flats: Very cold, harsh weather, exposed and barren. -3
Mountains: Extreme steepness, difficult terrain, lack of resources. -4, -5 for "Heavier" Troops
Desert: Extremely hot, arid, few resources. -6, -8 for "Heavier" Troops

Training [General Combat Modifiers]:

None: Drafted peasants. -3
Basic Training: General "How to stab things and not get killed immediately" teaching. Local militia level. +0
Standard Training: Adequate training that a regular, nondescript army would have. +2
Efficient Training: Soldiers that know how to fight and adapt in a variety of situations. The highest level one could hope for in a standard army. +4
Specialized Training: A handful of elite soldiers that can crush enemies whom outnumber them. On-par with warriors such as the Spartans and Elite Knights. +6
War Machine: An extraordinarily small amount of warriors that constitute maybe 100 per 100,000 normal soldiers, if even that much. They've been bred by birth for fighting, whether through slavery or inherited status. There's not enough of them to create a full force, so they have to be specialized for tasks such as guarding the leader(s) of state or a taskforce to complete duties no other soldier could. +8

Training also effects overall Discipline. More Discipline, means that troops will be less likely to Retreat, which could be based on percentages. For example, troops with No Training would run away after losing a mere 10-15% of their total force, for standard soldiers it could be 40%-60%, and War Machines will fight down to the last soldier.

Political/Ideological/Culture/etc. [Offensive Bonuses]:

Pacifism/Peaceful: Rejection of all fighting. Why would they do this in the first place? -4, if an offense can be sustained at all.
Isolationist: The desire to tend to their own problems rather than that of others. -4 if offense can not be proven to the populace to be in response to a direct attack or threat to the nation.
No Standard War Ideology: War is present, but the people of the nation don't have a standard outlook on it as a whole. +0 in general, varies on war.
Interventionist: The people feel that they need to fight in external wars for the good of their country. +2
Patriotism/Jingoist: War is a means to protect the homeland and promote the prosperity of the country. +4
Warrior Tradition: War is not just an abstract concept, it's an important part of everyday life, often embedded culturally and/or religiously. +5

Size also has to be accounted for, as an army is going to have a much easier time fighting another army if it's opposition is 1/2 or 1/3 it's size. Then again, larger forces would be more susceptible to Terrain, Supply and Morale penalties than smaller, more tightly-knit outfits.

Material is also important for combat in determining the effectiveness of a force's equipment. I imagine it works something like:
Nothing < Wood < Stone < Metal
The Quality of Equipment is also important, as finely, professionally crafted Wood weapons could very well manage to penetrate bad, amateurishly produced Stone armor.

A central part of combat is going to be the dynamics of the different types of forces, which currently look like Infantry, Ranged/Archery and Artillery.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2014, 11:46:25 pm »

((Please postpone combat for a little while longer. My combat rules thing is nearly done and I have some other things to do as well.))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2014, 11:51:46 pm »

((Please postpone combat for a little while longer. My combat rules thing is nearly done and I have some other things to do as well.))

It's just a suggestion for Cryxis, he's allowed to use whatever he wants, including any system he's already set up himself of course.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 11, 2014, 11:57:50 pm »

Ya definitely using modifiers and will probably post small MOCK combat tomorrow

All combat is only practice and does not actually affect the game
If it turns out to be a good system real combat can happen latter
Think of this as a kind of war-games type thing

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2014, 11:59:18 pm »

Yeah, we know this is mock stuff. If this wasn't then there's no way in hell that Demestris would never invade one of their neighbours for no reason just because they had it coming.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 12, 2014, 12:05:37 am »

So I'm thinking of implementing rules of war as well and those who don't follow some basic things are liable for provoked attacks from anyone

Also most combat is either going to be
1- formations of units fighting each other in designated war zones
2- an invading army pushing through a nation and it's cities
3-an army outside the walls of a city trying to get in
4-several armies fighting in a war zone for supremacy

By the way if you want to war for resources a nice treaty can be made so that the losing side has to give the winner resources or some of their land or something instead of total invasion

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 12, 2014, 12:17:52 am »

EDIT: Anybody know how to make nested Spoilers that actually work?

I'll post those army stats of your soon. For now, have a battle system suggestion:

Pre-Battle Phase
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First/Artillery/Initial/Whatever-You-Want-To-Call-It Phase

Skirmish Phase 1

Skirmish Phase 2

Charge Phase

Melee Phase - Round X

Rout

Cavalry

Tactics
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:31:22 am by Andres »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 12, 2014, 12:37:06 am »

Holy... That all looks good. Except for the fact that Phalangites should be able to charge, given that was used by the swiss quite successfully.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33