Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Great River Politics [11/20]  (Read 31442 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Great River Politics [11/20]
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »

Heres how this game is going to go. A few millennia ago a great nuclear war left the world in shambles. The peoples along the Great River [name of river unknown, lost from years of I recorded history] hid away in the mountain ranges along the river. Now that the radiation has subsided and the people are free to move about the region and settle as they please. The main races (caused by genetic engineering pre-war) are humans, elves and red guards.
Humans
Your basic hard working people, no disadvantages or advantages.
Elves
This is what the world got for engineering people to have larger brains and longer lives.
Advantages: smart, fast, agile
Disadvantages: weak, do not populate quickly,  and have very little natural resistance to disease
Red guards
When war broke out militaries needed powerful infantry grunts, this is the result
Advantages: powerful, high natural resistance, very tough
Disadvantages: short lived, not very smart, slow

The races do not co exist well. Though humans can tolerate the other races as they can tolerate humans but red guards and elves do not mix.

There is only so much space for your city states to fit
West desert- fit one city state (The Commonwealth of the Free Peoples)
North ice flats- fit one city state (Boroshka)
West plains- fits two city states (City of Norogoth) (The Great Kingdom of Demestris)
West forests- fits 3 city states (Sapiastan)
West mountains- fits two city states (Sigylguard) ( Council of Other)
East mountains- fits five city states (Duchy of Aerindinus) (Xavien) (Terra Arma)
East hills- fits three city states ( Serbis)
East woods- fits one city state (The Byzantine Confederacy )
East desert- fits two city states

Woods
Adv: lumber and wild life
Disadv: no metal

Desert
Adv: isolation
Disadv: little water, hot, and few resources

Mountains
Adv: metal and borders the river so can trade easily
Disadv: hard to travel without using river, little sources of food

Plains
Adv: lots of food, plentiful resources, easily traveled through, easily settled
Disadv: no metal, easily accesed

Hills
Adv: some metal, acces to the mountains for trade, plentiful resources
Disadv: is the dividing line between mountains and forest, not easily traversed

Ice flats
Adv: isolated, access to the river
Disadv: cold, few resources, Harsh weather

Forest
Adv: lumber and fruits
Disadv: hard to move through

Create your city state
Name of state
Location(one of the open spots in the list of east and west locations, please do not try to take spots that are already filled)
Military (how important is military to you, choose one; strong, mid, weak. Military also deals with how much order is in your country and how powerful war attacks/ defenses are)
Government (what kind of government is your city state)
Peoples (what race lives there can have one or two races but not all three)
Laws (how strict are your laws; strict, mild, non existant)
Religion (affects politics and order, can make up your own or have non at all or give your people the freedom to choose)
I will wait till there are about 5 city states to begin the politics side of this. Each person can only have one city state
My nation does not count as one of those five

Once game starts I will post news of what is happening in the city states and you as the government will choose how you deal with your problem. You will also debate and trade with other states as you see fit. I will try to figure out a system for trade. War can only happen with neighboring countries and I will try to post a map to help with that
War will use D6 for the fighting and your resources will decide the roll modifications ( ex a state with plenty of food and metal will get a +3 to each roll for attack and a country in the mountains with food and metal will get a +3 to defense rolls. There are also negative modifications. A roll can not be less than one or more than 8)

To get the nations rolling I will start with mine

Name of nation: Serbis
Military: strong
Government: Democratic Non Marxist communism
Peoples: Red guard and human
Law: strict (eye for an eye style)
Religion: personal preference

River empire history/backstory

The world begins advancement of it's inteligence and humanity begins to control the world around him. (Magic) man finds a way to mentally manipulate the air around him. (Wind) he can move air particles and create wind and the such. (Ice) man can lower the temperature of the air and moisture in the air. (Fire) man can hear up the air and control manipulate it into fire
Genetic engineering creates people with a higher intellect (elves) who are able to manipulate the world around them more easily at the cost of their natural size and strength. In coastal regions genetic engineering creates people who are able to breathe underwater and live in such environments (argonians).
War breaks out across the world and every military wants to create their finest and toughest humans they can (red guards) as the world begins to tear apart the nations need people able to traverse the mangled environments around them (kahjiit)
Countries begin to drop bombs and nukes and people run for the hills
(3 major races- humans, elves, and red guards. 2 minor races- argonians and Kahjiit)

Hundreds of years later the radiation clears and the bunkers in the mountains open up (first technicaly second era of the Great river- The city states) the people spread out in the great river area and begin setting up cities/trade routes and create a new world. They flourish but eventualy combine and fracture into two sides one is civilized nation and the other is a grouping of tribal city states. Eventualy an empire from the east begins and incursion and attacks these two nations (the 3 empires era) the empire from the east takes the region over and uses the region to feed the rest of the empire but corruption begins to crumble the once powerful empire.
A great meteor shower starts and destroys many of the cities and roads (the great storm) causing the empire to fall to it's knees. The people of the great river empire begin to rebel (the rebellion era) the rebellion destroys the empire and begins a chaotic period while the peoples of the great river begin to reform (might possibly make this an era as well)
Once the peoples begin to reform their cities and create several empires/nations in the great river area. [around the storm the races begin to splinter into their respective groups: high elves, snow elves, wood elves, humans, argonians, kahjiit, red guards, orcs, and dwarves (and latter Kahjiit and wood elves inter breed and create a tribal race called children of the wild)] during the time that these empires are forming the high elves begin mass genocides and are monkey stomped by the nations around them. And the current story that my friends are running through are in this era.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:56:27 pm by Cryxis, Prince of Doom »
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
Re: Great River Politics
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »

Name of state: Boroshka
Military: Strong
Government: Meritocracy
Peoples: Humans, Redguards
Laws: Mild
Religion: Freedom to Choose
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »

Welcome to the Great River

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 05:33:54 pm »

Name of State: Sigylguard
Military: Not weak, really, but considered more as a "way out" of poverty or failure, so Mid
Government: Oligarchy
Peoples: Humans, Redguards
Laws: Strict. Thieves are locked away, worse criminals are exiled into the mountains, and the worst are executed on the spot.
Religion: Sigylism. A collection of ancient texts, carefully preserved in a vault, serve as the holy book for this religion. The Sigyl, as it is called, is used for guidance, and plays a major part in the law of the land. Brothers of the Sigyl are usually the second-most powerful group in the state, often holding high ranks in the military, or important offices in the government.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:36:33 pm »

Just a few more and politics/news can start

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 05:58:57 pm »

Name of State: Sapiastan (Literally "Land of Humans")
Military: High, Aggressive Jingoist
Government: Utilitarian Fascist. Elected Dictator rules for life. Military controls much of government.
Peoples: Humans only, Elves and Red Guard not allowed citizenship, sometimes they aren't allowed in at all.
Laws: Strict but humane towards humans, extremely harsh on other races. Communism, interracial marriage and racial equality all illegal.
Religion: Illegal, seen as something that only the inferior races would follow.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:02:51 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:42:22 pm »

I almost forgot

The politics is based on all city states being part of a United Nations type thing and some nations (if close enough) can give military support to friends during war

Hello nation three

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 06:45:58 pm »

I almost forgot

The politics is based on all city states being part of a United Nations type thing and some nations (if close enough) can give military support to friends during war

Hello nation three

Do you think that Sapiastan will work then? I don't know if they'll be able to function in a council whose members all include large Elven and Red Guard populations, (in fact, I'm guessing some of the delegates would be Elven or Red Guard) when the Sapiastan's are extremely xenophobic.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »

The council is based in Serbis so military keeps council and misc delegates safe. Though if a fight breaks out in the council the Serbis reps have special buttons that cause !!FUN!! To keep the council members in line
Warring/xenophobic nations are kept in segregated areas from those they don't like

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great River Politics [4/20]
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:28:03 pm »

If there are no new states tomorrow I will start the politics side of the game by throwing out some news stuff just for fun while we wait for new peeps

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 11:39:51 pm »

Well, you got one more then! Also TCM, I think Cryxis meant the actual strength of the army in the military section :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I have to ask a bit about the setting, is it fantasy, modern or something else?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »

Howdy neighbor

It's a post apocalyptic fantasy ish world

PM me if you want the whole story

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great River Politics [5/20]
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 11:46:52 pm »

Neighbor may I also tell you that having a red guard and elf populace in a mountainous region is like putting a half Jewish half nazi/kkk group into a bunker and saying be nice

Though I'm sure you already knew that

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great River Politics [5/20]
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 11:51:15 pm »

I'm sure they'll get on Juuusst fine. Besides, there's also a group that hates both of them, so maybe they'll learn to work together in the face of that :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:18 am »

Well, you got one more then! Also TCM, I think Cryxis meant the actual strength of the army in the military section :P

I thought that being Aggressive Jingoist would imply High military strength, but I see your point.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33