Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 295

Author Topic: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice  (Read 431053 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The Abusive Policing Thread: Beyond Brown, No Justice
« Reply #2910 on: June 03, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »

In the Netherlands we had a 3d day of protests against police racism in the US.Among other cities, Utrecht and Rotterdam saw demonstrations.
The demonstration in Rotterdam is being dispersed by the police at the moment, because it has become too crowded.
The mayor of Rotterdam had expected around 4000 people, but apparently many more turned up, there's no numbers yet how many there were.
The police say they are doing their best to disperse the crowd in a controlled manner.
Pic of the Rotterdam crowd in the link  https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/live-demonstratie-tegen-racisme-in-rotterdam-beeindigd-wegens-drukte-belgie-opent-grenzen-vanaf-15-juni~b38eee56/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:23 pm »

Paris is protesting as well. Getting some real Occupy vibes from how this has spread outside the US.

EDIT: Now hearing that Chauvin's charge has been increased to 2nd degree murder and that the other three cops have been arrested for aiding and abetting.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:54:26 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: June 03, 2020, 01:57:29 pm »

EDIT: Now hearing that Chauvin's charge has been increased to 2nd degree murder and that the other three cops have been arrested for aiding and abetting.

You love to see it.

edit: changed it back, was worried it came off the wrong way.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:07:59 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: June 03, 2020, 02:05:49 pm »

You love to see it.

I'm pleasantly shocked.

I wonder how solid of a legal precedent this is going to set in the end? Obviously murder was always y'kno, "illegal", but could it mean more actual accountability?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: June 03, 2020, 02:08:37 pm »

I wonder how solid of a legal precedent this is going to set in the end? Obviously murder was always y'kno, "illegal", but could it mean more actual accountability?
In b4 full aquittal
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: June 03, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »

That is, to some degree, what makes cops so uniformly intractable and psycho during moments like this: The fear that the power they have on loan from the ruling class may be diminished.

An irrational fear IMO, but if it gets any of them to abandon their jobs I won't be complaining. And yes, they'll try their hardest to turn even this into an overcharge, though that too will surely have a poor outcome by reigniting all this down the line.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: June 03, 2020, 02:21:53 pm »

That is, to some degree, what makes cops so uniformly intractable and psycho during moments like this: The fear that the power they have on loan from the ruling class may be diminished.

Frankly, I've been seeing this whole event as two competing protests.  The police aren't out there doing their jobs and maintaining order.  They are protesting just as much as the people are.  They're protesting against the motion to reign in their power.  Both sides are openly expressing their anger and disgust for each other.  Both trying to wear the other down.  Both expecting this to end when legislators and onlookers throw weight to their side -- police because that's what's always happened, and protesters because their grievances are impossible to deny.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: June 03, 2020, 02:24:56 pm »

Based on my very limited criminal law knowledge (law school courses and reading up on MN's code) I think going up to 2nd is going to make conviction a good deal more difficult. Police officers have a pretty good record getting off on the intentionality part of murder (if I recall), so bringing in intent is going to be more tricky. That's even with the video evidence being as damning as it is (in my opinion).

I wonder if going up to 2nd was a prerequisite for linking the other three.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: June 03, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »

Paris is protesting as well. Getting some real Occupy vibes from how this has spread outside the US.

I was thinking Arab Spring, but yeah.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: June 03, 2020, 02:54:06 pm »

The actual website for Minnesota statues is so bogged down right now it won't let me through, but elsewhere on the internet staes that 2nd Degree Murder is ALSO applicible if:

Causing a death unintentionally, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict great physical harm on the victim.

That fits the bill neatly insofar as legal requirements go. Also, you can sentence someone for 40 years on 2nd degree. Bets as to whether he gets the minimum or not?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:55:48 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: June 03, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »

Eh, there's still an intention requirement there. He could claim he was just trying to restrain / protect himself, and certain types of juries are likely to run with it.

Would also be worth knowing what the law/precedent is for police excuses in MN; in general police often have a lot of 'but I X' get-out-of-jail-free-cards when it comes to criminal prosecution.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »

Yeah but I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that kneeling on his neck for nine minutes, some of which was after he had no pulse, constitutes anything but "intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict great physical harm".

Mind you I'm sure some jackass will absolutely argue that, but I don't see it holding up. I'm looking forward to what the jury will be like.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: June 03, 2020, 03:12:00 pm »

Yeah, hopefully just me being really cynical when it comes to police officers going to trial. Not impossible to convict one, but the odds are pretty rough.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: June 03, 2020, 03:15:12 pm »

It's hard NOT to be cynical. My expectation is that someone will either A) Force a mistrial, or B) Accidentally forcibly hang himself so they can't convict him. Can't establish precedent if he's dead! What a tragedy, #justice get back to work now. etc.

But I'm still hopeful that this gets seen through to the end, and that end is prison. A lot of prison.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: June 03, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »

If they hung themselves, I'd consider that a form of justice. Wouldn't address the larger issues with policing but at least the person responsible for the crime would pay the ultimate price.

OTOH if it's a Jeffrey Eppstein type situation....that's less so.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 295