Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 800267 times)

Blocky858

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1950 on: August 06, 2015, 12:18:10 am »

Er, is this endorsed by GW?
Ha.
Haha.
Bwahahahhahahhahaha!
Are you for real?
No. GW doesn't endorse fan projects. At best they merely allow it to exist.
Nope. To be honest though, I think they've probably heard of it by now.
Dunno. Some employees might have, but GW as general tends to ignore /tg/ related things, unless they get VERY popular and they can steal it for themselves.
But when they create a game that resembles this, Duke will get a Cease And Desist letter for sure.

That's why I was asking. Duke is gonna get the shit sued out of him.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 06, 2015, 06:15:19 am »

Really doubt he is going to get sued. If it was for profit that'd be different, but he'll just get a cease and desist if (as Kot says) GW wants to make a similar game. I really doubt they would, so I think he's probably safe as long as he doesn't start selling it or trying to pass it off as GW authorised.

I can imagine that at least some GW high ups have heard of it - as they've got such a niche product (relatively speaking) they'll have their ear close to the ground and I'm sure this has been discussed on a number of forums.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 06, 2015, 07:00:49 am »

I'm not sure you can get sued if you aren't trying to make a profit...
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 06, 2015, 07:15:42 am »

You can potentially get in trouble for 'causing a loss of profits' but it'd be very difficult to prove. At the most Duke might face a Cease and Desist letter at some point, but I think it's unlikely as there are no competing products from GW and this basically just gives them free publicity.

However, if that came about, there would always be ways around it. Duke could strip out all the graphics/text related to GW products in the base game and then a creative, un-named modder could come along and make a w40k mod for it!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1954 on: August 06, 2015, 07:24:49 am »

You could also get sued if you were stopping GW from making profit. If someone were to give away minatures for free or maybe make an PC version of tabletop game and gave it away for free (the Vassal module thing doesn't even have any real rules in it, but was took down from official Vassal page thanks to GW lawyers). You would recive a C&D letter and if you didin't C&D, you could get sued.

It could happen to CM if GW made something with similar vibes and considered CM competition. Unlikely though.

He's right.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 06, 2015, 03:06:18 pm »

So, how do I join CHAOS?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1956 on: August 06, 2015, 03:08:48 pm »

So, how do I join CHAOS?
Kill Imperials. Be generally CHAOSey. Ask Chaos Lords maybe.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 06, 2015, 04:43:31 pm »

Stop belaboring the question of whether or not it's legal. It's not your problem and all you're doing by mentioning it is performing SEO to make it easier to Google search it. So, kindly shut up please.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1958 on: August 06, 2015, 04:58:53 pm »

Stop belaboring the question of whether or not it's legal. It's not your problem and all you're doing by mentioning it is performing SEO to make it easier to Google search it. So, kindly shut up please.
Wow, r-r-rude.

CaesarCzech

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 07, 2015, 02:55:32 am »

You can potentially get in trouble for 'causing a loss of profits' but it'd be very difficult to prove. At the most Duke might face a Cease and Desist letter at some point, but I think it's unlikely as there are no competing products from GW and this basically just gives them free publicity.

However, if that came about, there would always be ways around it. Duke could strip out all the graphics/text related to GW products in the base game and then a creative, un-named modder could come along and make a w40k mod for it!

Might not even be unnamed.  I bet there are some russians  etc. Where GW wont be able to reach because "fuck Copyright rights" at worst some smaller country in europe might suffice. so nope  Duke got his ass covered  and  GW wont be able to reach the "Creative modder"
not to mention  that We could do a lot of shitstorm  and make them think twice about it. GW isnt exactly loved. plus we are Space Marines of Shitposting.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 07, 2015, 04:29:39 am »

That's why I was asking. Duke is gonna get the shit sued out of him.
Cool thing about 4chan projects is that people can just melt back into the ether. They could stop Duke from Patreoning, probably, but he could easily just officially stop and then somehow the project got picked up by some guy called Earl.

not to mention  that We could do a lot of shitstorm  and make them think twice about it.
If GW gave half a shit about getting fans riled up, Age of Sigmar could never have happened. Besides, I can hardly imagine this would cause a bigger shitstorm than Damnatus.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 07, 2015, 04:49:54 am »

I keep hearing about Age of Sigmar, anyone want to give an explanation on what it is in a few words?

Bacon_commando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 07, 2015, 05:03:53 am »

I keep hearing about Age of Sigmar, anyone want to give an explanation on what it is in a few words?

GW trying to scrub up more money out of players. It's geared to getting new players into the fantasy side of warhammer, although it is literally 40k without guns. Even has space marines, known by the community as "Sigmarines"

Probably the best description is Bruva's video, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MzNpMD1K8
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:20:20 am by Bacon_commando »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1963 on: August 07, 2015, 05:15:26 am »

Basically, WHFB that looks like it was made by Matt Ward and C.S. Goto.
It includes fucking GROUND MARINES (most importantly, FUCKING ULTRAMARINES). Like SPACE MARINES but with LESS DAKKA and MORE CHOPPA... IN FANTASY.
But that's not a thread for that.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 07, 2015, 05:43:21 am »

Basically, WHFB that looks like it was made by Matt Ward and C.S. Goto.
It includes fucking GROUND MARINES (most importantly, FUCKING ULTRAMARINES). Like SPACE MARINES but with LESS DAKKA and MORE CHOPPA... IN FANTASY.
But that's not a thread for that.
Eh, Age of Sigmar lore isn't too bad (Aint nothing like Goto's work, not enough Multi-lasers), that and there's multiple groups for the sigmarines beyond ultramarines.

I just utterly and completely hate what they did to the rules. (Course 40k has Phil Kelly bungling it up for ages to come...)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:52:44 am by ZebioLizard2 »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 288