Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 288

Author Topic: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!  (Read 798863 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Master - In the name of the Emperor!
« Reply #1050 on: February 03, 2015, 09:38:01 pm »

Can we raid with vehicles if we are Blood Angels, though?

:P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:30 pm »

Can we raid with vehicles if we are Blood Angels, though?

:P
Soon (TM).

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:49 pm »

Oh, and, uh, I think I can actually(if inconsistently) get the time to help code, if you guys would be willing.

And direct me to a tutorial so I can learn how.

If you just need bugfixing I can work on that. Not sure how to optimize, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DukeFluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 03, 2015, 10:20:49 pm »

Oh, and, uh, I think I can actually(if inconsistently) get the time to help code, if you guys would be willing.
And direct me to a tutorial so I can learn how.
If you just need bugfixing I can work on that. Not sure how to optimize, though.

The thing is, with programming I couldn't expect someone new at it to fix bugs.  In order to fix bugs you have to be relatively familiar with how the project works, and also be able to look at this code and imagine how it SHOULD run, in order to determine the source of the problem.  The largest thing that I could be helped with is just grunt work (lots of copying and pasting, working on lists, etc.), but even with that I'd rather do it myself than wait on a response.  And there isn't any gruntwork that comes to mind.  Code is pretty well handled at this moment, I just don't have the time I used to.

If you'd still like to learn the system I use go ahead and download GMS and I can point you towards some tutorials.  Usual disclaimer of 'GMS isn't that great, doesn't use any industry standard programming languages, can't do 3d, and doesn't help develop programming skills that much'.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:58 pm »

I don't plan to be a programmer, I just want to help. If there's nothing I can really help on, that's fine too, though. Especially since, as I said, it would be fairly inconsistent.

That's fine then. Tell me if you do end up needing more help or anything.

I'll be over here trying to figure out which of my internal suggestions you already plan to implement and which are worth actually suggesting rather than being pipe dreams or simply dumb.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 03, 2015, 11:24:53 pm »

I don't plan to be a programmer, I just want to help. If there's nothing I can really help on, that's fine too, though. Especially since, as I said, it would be fairly inconsistent.
Go the route of a bugtester.  If you find a bug, then repeat it as often as you can, and pin down exactly what causes it.  "Bug with fleets" compared to "Bug when a fleet has a dreadnought onboard who dies in fleet combat".  If you can get exact on how bugs happen, they become much easier to fix.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 04, 2015, 12:35:52 am »

I have a feeling I would need the debug codes for that, and while I would be happy to Patreon, I don't have one and don't have an income source with which to effectively donate...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 04, 2015, 12:48:27 am »

You don't need debug codes to bug test. A set of steps from the average user's experience is what's most helpful. As someone who works in software and bug reporting, I see a lot stuff wrong in CM that I haven't taken the time to report.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 04, 2015, 12:55:53 am »

Most of the bugs I've been noticing are the little things. Like the stars jumping off the map when I held down end turn for a bit to cycle through some time, and coming back when I hit End turn once.

Although I did receive a mission to intercept an inquisitor who was heading to a nonexistent or maybe hidden star system, complete with him going to a place I could not see but could inexplicably go to.

Obviously, I didn't get there in time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 04, 2015, 01:39:06 am »

Most of the bugs I've been noticing are the little things. Like the stars jumping off the map when I held down end turn for a bit to cycle through some time, and coming back when I hit End turn once.
Although I did receive a mission to intercept an inquisitor who was heading to a nonexistent or maybe hidden star system, complete with him going to a place I could not see but could inexplicably go to.

The little things are just as important as the big things. Anything like that you should put into a proper bug report (be as descriptive as possible!).

If you want to help designing stuff, I'd just get a hold of the source code and try to add awesome extra features. I'm sure Duke isn't going to turn down an awesome addition, but make sure it's small/compartmentalised enough so that it doesn't require big changes across the entire code. This is how people get on board with DCSS and it seems like the best way to add something and prove your worth - it can also be done on your own time frame!

Just keep small.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 04, 2015, 03:30:23 am »

Bug: there's no way to equip autocannons to dreadnoughts. They are purchasable under the vehicles menu. They're worse than the assault cannon in every way and cost 10 more req.

I'd love it if vehicles were loaded into the starting ships by default and if each company had an individual strike cruiser all to themselves. Might need to start homeworld based chapters with a free battle barge to fit first company and HQ on it with all their land raiders. Fleet based custom chapters could maybe get two or three!?

Also it'd be great if weapon descriptions listed how many free ranged/melee hands each weapon required to hold without penalty. Is it possible to wield a heavy bolter and thunder hammer simultaneously without penalty?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:35:14 am by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Jedimushroom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 04, 2015, 04:14:09 am »

Attacking with Local Forces is once more functional.

Presumably this solves the confusion in my previous question.

When I attack from the ground my tactical muhreens all seem to pile into Rhinos I guess? They're not there firing anyway. But when the Rhinos get popped I don't lose any muhreens and they also don't come out so what gives?

tkfsung

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 04, 2015, 10:29:53 am »

Anyone else have problems equipping Archaeotech Pistols?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 04, 2015, 10:57:28 am »

Bug: there's no way to equip autocannons to dreadnoughts. They are purchasable under the vehicles menu. They're worse than the assault cannon in every way and cost 10 more req.

Canonically not a bug. You don't put autocannons on dreadnoughts, because autocannons are shit compared to assault cannons. (Was never a weapon option for Dreadnoughts in the table top or video games.) Although I suppose with penitent ect.. chapters scraping the bottom of the barrel, maybe you should be able to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 04, 2015, 11:12:59 am »

If that's the case, why are autocannons on predators while assault cannons get tossed on terminators and dreadnoughts like fireworks on the fourth of july?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 288