This weekend.
- 8 (50%)
Next week.
- 0 (0%)
Next weekend.
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 89

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - see last post  (Read 125749 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Stronghold - New thread!
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2014, 09:55:59 pm »

I guess we'd "mint" our own currency, in much the same way that (some) other places have done so. This means we'd need a bank, or some place that keeps track of the value of dwarfbucks and will exchange diamonds for dwarfbucks and vice versa.
We'd also need a mint - in this case a glorified printing press - that makes books signed by whomever is given that authority. Each book would be named X Dwarfbucks, where X is the number of dwarfbucks, in a similar manner to RL currency. 100 Dwarfbucks, for example. Inside would be a message along the lines of "the bank of the Twelfth Bay promises to pay a number of diamonds to the bearer".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »

That's the point of using a press, instead of just naming sheets of paper. The books are signed by the king or whomever so it is visibly legitimate.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:16 pm »

That's the point of using a press, instead of just naming sheets of paper. The books are signed by the king or whomever so it is visibly legitimate.

We can always do it cryptographically, using a hash function and putting in a seed consisting of the day and a random string known to one person. After hashing, it would be passed to another official, who would also modify it in a way only they knew and put it in again. The result would be printed on each note for the batch as a signiture, and this, along with recording the amount made, would make forgery difficult. It's not THAT difficult to do, since it could be done by a shared URL for the hashing site and some PMs for telling people the current step.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2014, 11:01:58 pm »

It's still easier to forge than a signed book. I could buy some D from the bank, copy them, trade the originals in, and use the copies to trade with other people. They wouldn't realise until they tried to cash the counterfeits in and found them to be fake.
And then, counterfeiting is hard to track down. I could be blamed for making counterfeit D, but it could just as easily have been the person who claimed to have got them from me.

And that's assuming we even bother with the currency. Printing books requires a capital cost of both resources and time, whereas just using diamonds as trade goods is much, much easier. I suppose it would be cool from an RP standpoint, and it would give our treasurer/whomever something to do besides get rich.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2014, 12:32:10 am »

I found a diamond vein, I'm going to publish its location and purchase a silk pick for the fort next time I'm in commonwealth, suggestions for naming it?
Also a reminder, please remember to only use the silk pick for diamond, redstone, lapis, quartz, etc.
I notice the housing district covered the bay which I figured would make a great entrance. I'm going to claim an apartment there so I can work on the mountain behind me.
Oh and well have new neighbours soon, there's a German themed community being built east of Titan.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2014, 02:39:57 am »

Actually, that housing is meant to be a cover for the real fort. We don't mean to honeycomb the mountain from it.

Also, does anyone mind if I just break that green glass? There's a lot of it, but I don't want to waste uses of an ST pick if we're saving it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2014, 06:47:54 am »

Repairing is probably cheaper than making more glass, when we get a gold farm well get silk touch picks from the gold pick factories.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2014, 09:36:00 am »

RE: Currency, the printing press has a special production mode for just this purpose. It can print "Security Slips" which are watermarked by the plate used to print the item. The watermark is a 10 digit random number unique to the plate written in purple text in the lore section. The only way to counterfeit them is to continuously make printing plates trying to get the same number (which would be far more expensive than it's worth) or to steal the existing plate. If we want more than one denomination, we will need a separate plate for each one, but they can be given face value and marked legitimate without any difficulty. All that said, I don't think we really need to do this. It will encourage hoarding too much, and make more lavish construction projects a lot more difficult.

Also, how does one make a gold farm?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2014, 10:00:44 am »

A gold farm is just a lot of nether portals, pigmen pop out occasionally, you get them to fall onto flowing water and suffocate or something over a hopper.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2014, 11:12:34 am »

I found a diamond vein, I'm going to publish its location and purchase a silk pick for the fort next time I'm in commonwealth, suggestions for naming it?
Also a reminder, please remember to only use the silk pick for diamond, redstone, lapis, quartz, etc.
I notice the housing district covered the bay which I figured would make a great entrance. I'm going to claim an apartment there so I can work on the mountain behind me.
Oh and well have new neighbours soon, there's a German themed community being built east of Titan.
N'warries, you can use my pick.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2014, 11:15:00 am »

The Results of the Duel for Glory and Honor between Coolrune and Playergamer are in.

The duel was a best of five event, fought with wooden swords.

First Arena: Outside, Near Coolrune's House

Results: Victory for Coolrune

Second Arena: Outside, Near Storage Room.

Third Arena: Inside, Canals.
Results: Victory for Playergamer

Fourth Arena: Inside, Big Quarry Thing in the Back

Fifth Arena: Outside, On the Lake, in Boats.
Results: Victory for Coolrune (although I did put up a good fight, and he was pretty low on hearts at the end. Apparently, he actually drowned after the duel.)

Coolrune is the victor of this Stronghold's first official Duel for Glory and Honor!

Twas fun. Coolrune is officially a better person then me, apparently.

Anyway, as for my opinions on stuff, yes, we should have a currency, but not right now.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2014, 12:22:10 pm »

The Results of the Duel for Glory and Honor between Coolrune and Playergamer are in.

The duel was a best of five event, fought with wooden swords.

First Arena: Outside, Near Coolrune's House

Second Arena: Outside, Near Storage Room.

Third Arena: Inside, Canals.

Fourth Arena: Inside, Big Quarry Thing in the Back

Fifth Arena: Outside, On the Lake, in Boats.
Results: Victory for Coolrune (although I did put up a good fight, and he was pretty low on hearts at the end. Apparently, he actually drowned after the duel.)

Coolrune is the victor of this Stronghold's first official Duel for Glory and Honor!

Twas fun. Coolrune is officially a better person then me, apparently.

Anyway, as for my opinions on stuff, yes, we should have a currency, but not right now.
Good work, Oh btw coolrune, please stop hitting me when I'm in my gold stuff, It's my only rest helmet and FF boots, they're almost broken, and I can't repair them :(

Oh I still have my pick Tahu, I just want one available for the fort :p
Speaking of, we'll need to start locking doors and stuff soon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:47:32 pm by MarcAFK »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2014, 12:40:21 pm »

I claim the position of High Priest of Armok of the new site, if no one else has already claimed the position.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2014, 12:46:39 pm »

I claim the position of Lower Priest of Armok, if no one has claimed that either, since I've kind of turned my room into a shrine.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2014, 01:03:28 pm »

I would like to continue service in the guard, but will not try to become commander if such a position ends up existing.

I'd also like to submit a proposal that a tournament, both in archery contests and melee with no armor and wooden swords, be held after our government is established and after elections. Any citizen in good standing or foreigner who pays a very small tithe is allowed to participate. The winner in both is given the honorary title of Champion and half the tithe, if any, until the next election/tournament. It'll give us something to do in the theater, if nothing else.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 89