Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116871 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #420 on: March 19, 2015, 12:03:19 am »

I find St.Louis's interchange that covers two sides of the river to be a bit more confusing than that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:50 am »

The smaller the roundabout, the worse it is in this game as it seems to make the cars drive slower due to the sharp turns. Also there's no space for cars to merge in so you end up with a massive traffic jam that never ends.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 19, 2015, 01:15:33 am »

There's a reddit post somewhere by a traffic engineer on how he made his entire city basically traffic-free, but I can't seem to find it.

One thing I'm wondering about, and I've really wondered about in all games like this, is scalability.  How do I build a small town on my way to a big city without the small down's design getting in the way of the big city's?  Since I obviously can't just build the entire thing from the ground up to be gigantic without infinite money.
Shoes...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #423 on: March 19, 2015, 01:28:08 am »

I don't know about other things, but residential has very little traffic, so you basically only use a ton of 2 way 2 lane roads everywhere and it's fine. I usually put industry a bit away from the city so the traffic jams are less severe.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 19, 2015, 01:34:13 am »

Real cities use a tiered system.  Two-lane roads are for residential areas and are basically an extension of your driveway, the only traffic should be to/from your house.  Then the bigger roads connect to these and to the commercial areas, and the biggest highways lead in and out  and between big areas of the city.
Shoes...

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 19, 2015, 02:28:02 am »

There's a reddit post somewhere by a traffic engineer on how he made his entire city basically traffic-free, but I can't seem to find it.

One thing I'm wondering about, and I've really wondered about in all games like this, is scalability.  How do I build a small town on my way to a big city without the small down's design getting in the way of the big city's?  Since I obviously can't just build the entire thing from the ground up to be gigantic without infinite money.

Look to the right. It's been added to the sidebar - look for "How To Manage Traffic"

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 19, 2015, 09:44:47 am »

I've been spending the last few days experimenting with city layouts. Don't really have any screenshots yet, but I've found out that massive roundabouts and lots of one way roads work wonders for traffic flow.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 19, 2015, 09:46:37 am »

I've been spending the last few days experimenting with city layouts. Don't really have any screenshots yet, but I've found out that massive roundabouts and lots of one way roads work wonders for traffic flow.

People keep saying that, but when I have implemented that services like trash collection and firefighting go to shit and never reach their locations in a timely manner.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:10 am »

Well, yeah. You have to be more careful about where you place your services. What I do is basically imagine the whole system as a stream. Services that send out vehicles are built upstream of where they need to go, and things like schools are built downstream of the residences. Residences are built downstream to the main entrance, and commercial downstream of residential, so that the residents can shop easily. Industries have to have two way roads, in my experience, since they sometimes deliver to each other, and the entrance to the district should be built downstream of the residences and closest to the exit, so they don't obstruct traffic.

All I can really say is to get a hang of how traffic flows and how to manipulate it. The good thing about one-ways is that it's really easy to make traffic go where you want it, and public transport is a breeze. Most of my traffic problems happen when my heavy traffic decides to take a shortcut that was not meant for those loads, which is easily solved by moving or removing a few intersections, or by replacing them with elevated roads. My most complex design right now is basically a giant oval roundabout with flat sides, built around a highway, with concentric half-circles of one way roads expanding out the sides, and with strategically placed intersections to shorten the trip without obstructing the flow. It's big, pretty, and works really, really well (except for deathcare. Fuck deathcare). I'll post screenshots later.

Edit: Actually, I've posted the entire city. Enjoy: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410329999&searchtext=
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:51:14 am by sebcool »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 19, 2015, 10:37:34 am »

One way traffic is also great for clearing up bottlenecks. Have a jammed highway off-ramp? Designate one way routes leading away from the jam, it really helps.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #430 on: March 19, 2015, 11:28:21 am »

My city's stagnated at 40k population, and I can't tell how to make it grow :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #431 on: March 19, 2015, 11:36:17 am »

My city's stagnated at 40k population, and I can't tell how to make it grow :(
Zone more residential or high density residential

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 19, 2015, 11:38:35 am »

I've uploaded my city to the workshop, if anyone wants to have a look.

Behold! The city of Zapon: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410329999&searchtext=zapon

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 19, 2015, 11:59:39 am »

Am I the only one building multiple mini cities in my city ?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #434 on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:43 pm »

Am I the only one building multiple mini cities in my city ?
I do that too.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51