Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116886 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #390 on: March 17, 2015, 02:33:21 pm »

Is there a way to change the line color without selecting individual trains, because that's challenging enough and clunky as is.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 17, 2015, 03:27:01 pm »

Is there a way to change the line color without selecting individual trains, because that's challenging enough and clunky as is.
Try clicking on the line itself while in the public transport info overlay.  If that doesn't work, it might be a public transport info mod I picked up then.  Not sure how I found that feature out in the first place.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 17, 2015, 04:08:19 pm »

Try clicking on the line itself while in the public transport info overlay.  If that doesn't work, it might be a public transport info mod I picked up then.  Not sure how I found that feature out in the first place.
No, you can click on the lines in the overlay by default. (You can also rename them, like everything else)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:24 pm »

There's also a mod on the workshop that gives each line a unique name and color (Well, not completely unique, it chooses from a list, but still)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408760323

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 17, 2015, 10:04:51 pm »

Fpr a Cities in Motion production there aren't enough menus or spreadsheets to fiddle with. People want to redo mass transit easier.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2015, 03:18:05 am »

I feel they could include the CiM 2 spreadsheet simulator quite easily into it. Especially having  some sort of ledger with all the public transport routes you have.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2015, 03:40:54 am »

You know, I wasn't originally planning on buying the game until I saw the dynamic fluids. As soon as I saw stuff about poop dams and draining too much from bodies of water, I knew I had to have the game.
The hellish webs of roads/highways/tracks I build are fun too, though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:58:45 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2015, 03:47:38 am »

I'm just waiting for them to add proper support for modding transport networks.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 18, 2015, 08:16:11 am »

I'm just waiting for them to add proper support for modding transport networks.
Cant wait for Human Vac tube!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:08 am »

Buildings should level down instead of being outright abandoned as soon as something goes wrong...  plus abandonment makes it too hard to make people properly hate you.  Seriously though, any other measures then straight up abandonment...  Like riots... and refusal to pay taxes.  Right before I send in my militarized police force.

Alternatively, I have the no abandonment mod.  People hating you has no consequences whatsoever.  Many problems can be outright ignored, except for fire.  Well, garbage too I guess... trash filled buildings create ground pollution.
Honestly, I think they could have been more creative with consequences to unfulfilled services rather then going straight to abandonment on the drop of a hat.

Healthcare is another weird one... pollution and noise pollution significantly raises the need for healthcare by like 1000% or something.  By that I mean... if I place a residential within a high pollution area AND right next to the hospital/clinic, it'll always show as red on the info area.  So the residents will be sick, all the time, forever, despite healthcare right next door.
And farms... noise pollution = smell pollution ... its not that bad... but then I'm used to its distinct smells.

With how much I've played so far, I've definitely noticed that the simulation aspect ain't all its cracked up to be.  Generally only the goods transport and the service vehicles seem to matter when it comes to the transportation system.

EDIT: And fire.  I want to see it spread and for whole blocks to burn if my firetrucks don't get there in time, since I use the auto-demolish burned buildings mod.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:23:54 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2015, 10:24:16 am »

Buildings should level down instead of being outright abandoned as soon as something goes wrong...  plus abandonment makes it too hard to make people properly hate you.  Seriously though, any other measures then straight up abandonment...  Like riots... and refusal to pay taxes.  Right before I send in my militarized police force.

Alternatively, I have the no abandonment mod.  People hating you has no consequences whatsoever.  Many problems can be outright ignored, except for fire.  Well, garbage too I guess... trash filled buildings create ground pollution.
Honestly, I think they could have been more creative with consequences to unfulfilled services rather then going straight to abandonment on the drop of a hat.

Healthcare is another weird one... pollution and noise pollution significantly raises the need for healthcare by like 1000% or something.  By that I mean... if I place a residential within a high pollution area AND right next to the hospital/clinic, it'll always show as red on the info area.  So the residents will be sick, all the time, forever, despite healthcare right next door.
And farms... noise pollution = smell pollution ... its not that bad... but then I'm used to its distinct smells.

With how much I've played so far, I've definitely noticed that the simulation aspect ain't all its cracked up to be.  Generally only the goods transport and the service vehicles seem to matter when it comes to the transportation system.

EDIT: And fire.  I want to see it spread and for whole blocks to burn if my firetrucks don't get there in time, since I use the auto-demolish burned buildings mod.

You might as well go back to Cities in Motion or SimCity4. Skylines is too shallow with a couple gimicks.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 18, 2015, 02:23:23 pm »

It's definitely lacking the feature from SC4 where I can click on a building in traffic view and see the routes residents take from home to work.  At least there's a mod that does that. And like people are saying, getting a city that runs nicely isn't really challenging- however, it's pretty difficult to alleviate traffic jams and solve problems once your city gets really large (say 100k people). I think we might do well to remember that most of the difficulty in SC4 was in realizing that you needed to decrease the budget of your service buildings as soon as you placed them- after that I felt like it was almost as easy as Skylines is now. Besides, SC4 now has an expansion pack to benefit from as well- I don't doubt Skylines will be improved with DLC later, plus mods are coming out at an alarming rate.

All-in-all, I feel like Skylines did to city builders what X-com Enemy Unknown did for tactics games. It's a bit more casual, but it's still fun and presents challenges (mostly traffic related but SC4 was the same in the late game). I don't miss the grind of having to build several cities with import and export demands before a really large city could be built and I REALLY don't miss demand caps. Yeah, remember those? How you couldn't get residential demand because you forgot to make farms just to build a farmer's market and immediately tear down the farms?

Aside from some demand for more UI and graph information on traffic, I really do with that industrial/office levelups based on services used the ACTUAL ability of your services to affect them (EG how fast police, firetrucks, and ambulances arrive) rather than arbitrarily needing to be close to services, especially in a game where the actual intricacies of traffic are simulated and very important. Oh, and I'd love to be able to place bridge supports in the middle of four-lane roads.

Anyway, the point is, Skylines isn't perfect, but Sim City 4 wasn't either and I think Skylines makes a great successor- besides, it's still got a lot of time for more elaborate mods and DLC to come out.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2015, 02:29:13 pm »

I agree...comparing a game that is old with a mature mod community and expansion to a game that came out less than a month ago is a bit silly. Like most games these days...the base game becomes somewhat irrelevant once a good set of heavier mods comes out that alter it a lot from the base game. Interested to see what they do with DLC...as long as its not EA style DLC (pay $5 and get a new building!) and more added gameplay features I will be happy with it.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »

Assuming that the way the rendered vehicles work is actually what happens with the traffic simulation then I'm a bit disappointed.

The AI is quite clever about what lanes to drive on but the default behaviour don't make sense in many situations. Its static and won't adapt to usage patterns so the player will get a headache whenever the default behaviour will make things burn to the ground. I wish there was a mod to allow for more control over how individual lanes are to be used. There are similiar issues with intersections and traffic lights.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:37:04 pm by Idranel »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2015, 02:38:25 pm »

Assuming that the way the rendered vehicles work is actually what happens with the traffic simulation then I'm a bit disappointed.

The AI is quite clever about what lanes to drive on but the default behaviour don't make sense in many situations. Its static and won't adapt to usage patterns so the player will get a headache whenever the default behaviour will make things burn to the ground. I wish there was a mod to allow for more control over how individual lanes are to be used. There are similiar issues with intersections and traffic lights.
CO have acknowledged the traffic and lane-use issues and its one of the first things they are working on.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 51