Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116879 times)

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »

Assuming that the way the rendered vehicles work is actually what happens with the traffic simulation then I'm a bit disappointed.

The AI is quite clever about what lanes to drive on but the default behaviour don't make sense in many situations. Its static and won't adapt to usage patterns so the player will get a headache whenever the default behaviour will make things burn to the ground. I wish there was a mod to allow for more control over how individual lanes are to be used. There are similiar issues with intersections and traffic lights.
CO have acknowledged the traffic and lane-use issues and its one of the first things they are working on.

Great. I just went through a rage quit related to ☼stupid lane usage☼ :)
The kind where they stick to a single lane out of six for no particular reason until everything is clogged.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2015, 02:44:06 pm »

I agree...comparing a game that is old with a mature mod community and expansion to a game that came out less than a month ago is a bit silly. Like most games these days...the base game becomes somewhat irrelevant once a good set of heavier mods comes out that alter it a lot from the base game. Interested to see what they do with DLC...as long as its not EA style DLC (pay $5 and get a new building!) and more added gameplay features I will be happy with it.

The mod community is actually quite mature already. Day 1 and people were fixing problems/annoyances. There are tons of gamers out there with programming experience. They dive in immediately now. Not so much 10 or 20 years ago. Those same Steam Workshop mods already have torrents.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 18, 2015, 02:47:40 pm »

I wouldn't consider the quantity of mods or modders the determining factor of maturity of the mod community.

By maturity I mean people developing large and long running mods...not fixes

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 18, 2015, 03:39:59 pm »

I wouldn't consider the quantity of mods or modders the determining factor of maturity of the mod community.

By maturity I mean people developing large and long running mods...not fixes
Simtropolis, a large and long running modding community, is already on top of Skylines content, including new buildings. A former Maxis employee is also making buildings. Comparing to SimCity 4 or a previous game by the same devs is not that big of a stretch.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:41:45 pm by BigD145 »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2015, 03:49:52 pm »

By definition these mods can't be "long running"  8)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 18, 2015, 04:30:02 pm »

So I made a map with lots of mountains, and a few lakes scattered around (which shouldn't flood...anymore), with everything except a ship connection. Here's a link to it, if you guys want to try playing on it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 18, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »

"Long running mods" is not a good premise in the first place. Long running modder carries more weight. If they know what they are doing then a solid mod can be produced in a short period of time and it's likely to last into the future. The GTA5 map was kicked out in a day or two and it's pretty solid. Someone will re-recreate it eventually and it won't be much different from the original.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 18, 2015, 06:59:09 pm »

"Long running mods" is not a good premise in the first place. Long running modder carries more weight. If they know what they are doing then a solid mod can be produced in a short period of time and it's likely to last into the future. The GTA5 map was kicked out in a day or two and it's pretty solid. Someone will re-recreate it eventually and it won't be much different from the original.

Considering the speed that map and the first person mods came out, I have to wonder roughly how long it will be until someone makes it so you can steal one of the cars and the other base mechanics of GTA.

Never had this question answered, by the way:
Anyone know of a game with similar specs that offers a demo/are free?  I want to test out if my computer can run the game before buying it, and as this one doesn't offer a demo, I have to test my computer's ability to run it through proxy.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 18, 2015, 07:02:42 pm »

Apparently, I'm terrible at traffic control.
I can make.. Something work for a while.
But as the city grows, cars line up and before I know it, city service vehicles can't reach their destinations.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 18, 2015, 08:10:20 pm »

I'm pretty terrible with traffic as well. If it starts getting too congested I just abandon that part of town and start building somewhere else hoping to do better but it always ends up the same. I'm getting blackouts because some of my power stations aren't getting fuel fast enough.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:46 pm »

Power stations need fuel?

I thought they just needed wind, water, and sun?

:P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #416 on: March 18, 2015, 10:21:50 pm »

And trash.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 18, 2015, 10:43:11 pm »

Or sewage for your dam. 80 glorious MW of sewage. (based on a simple online calculator, I suspect this would require approximately 10% the municipal water systems of the entire US; these folks should probably add more fiber to their diets)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 18, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »

Imagine having to clean out the turbines inside that dam.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51