Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 51

Author Topic: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! New Industry DLC!  (Read 116943 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities: Skylines, The Sim City we all wanted! Out Now!
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2015, 08:49:44 pm »

If you have to patch once a day every day for a month then you've failed at making software.

Something tells me you have never made any sort of software like this...and just like being a negative cynical bastard

Yeah I mean goodness. Who ever heard of a game that was thoroughly tested and programmed before releasing. COMPLETELY unrealistic.

We are in the days when Rome Total War should be considered the stamp of quality... or the base release of The Sims 4.

Ah, the good old days when games had no bugs and were never patched. Except when they were. And you had to order a new diskette via snail mail so you could play past the gamebreaking bug. Just wait 3 months for arrival. Like Darklands.

Or when games were patched silently, but those with older versions never found out, only those that bought them later got the newer version. Like the old Infocom games (there are like 10 versions of every single game, but you were stuck with the one you bought).

There are or were pages devoted solely to games that failed because of bugs or being rushed, but became real gems after they were patched (Master of Magic anyone?), yet many were tossed aside when they failed to meet initial espectations. So nobody actually bothered to get the fixed versions.

Those days were great. Not.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:59:19 pm by Sergius »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2015, 11:22:16 pm »

I can say for a fact that their first statistic is wrong. But, it's good to see companies doing things like that. I'm happy with my purchase that I eventually made.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2015, 12:20:17 am »

At least one Paradox release has actually updated every day for more than a week straight after release. It's not unheard of and the games that go through that rarely turn out well. They may end up moderately fun in 6 months. Paradox has pushed numerous devs to release way too early. Then the devs have to patch every week for months. Then the fans fix things proper, if possible, years later.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2015, 12:25:03 am »

I'm still really happy with how the game turned out. I enjoy it a lot, though my major problem is still making a nice looking AND functional city :P But, its slowly getting there...with a lot of bulldozes over and over in the same area(s) lol
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2015, 01:20:25 am »

At least one Paradox release has actually updated every day for more than a week straight after release. It's not unheard of and the games that go through that rarely turn out well. They may end up moderately fun in 6 months. Paradox has pushed numerous devs to release way too early. Then the devs have to patch every week for months. Then the fans fix things proper, if possible, years later.

This is literally a fact, they did this with Sword of the Stars. Destroyed that company and its renown in the 4x community, they spent a year patching it, completely dead forum. They patched it i feel like every other day to a week at most for each patch, literally for the first 6 months then slowed down as they cut funding to patching, released multiple free "expansions" to try to make the game what it was supposed to be... Its sad. I feel bad for them :(

Paradox is not well known to have bug free releases in their own games they produce, nor the companies they get involved in or at least in my experience. (any HOI release ... my god)
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:25 am »

If they took a YEAR patching it...do you really think it was Paradox's fault? I get that publishers are known to ruin games...but have you ever thought that maybe the developing studio is the problem?

If Paradox would have funded them another year with no release (a terrible business practice really) you think it would have saved the studio?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:33 am »

I don't think Paradox pushes studios working for them as a publisher too hard; rather, I think in the past they wanted to support new/indy studios too much. Basically trusting their scheduling and ability to push in the final product. I like Sword of the Stars II very much, but the release fiasco was Kerberos' fault. They lied to Paradox that they had a finished product, then uploaded unfinished shit to Steam. They had some good reason for it, losing important personnel at a bad moment during development etc, but it was their fault for not informing Paradox at time and changing release date accordingly.

I was dubious regarding Kerberos already at the time due to their utterly arrogant fan interactions on their forums - basically their head honcho calling anyone disagreeing with game design decisions stupid and smelly poopoohead - but releasing unfinished crap was quite unforgivable. I'm glad I didn't pre-order. That being said, when their free DLC came out, the game was in a playable state. They fought to fix it and I respect that, even though the finished game still lacks 20% of the things it was supposed to include on day one. (Intelligence actions do nothing, government forms do next to nothing, diplomacy is minimal, non-existent internal politics etc.)

Anyway, I think Paradox learned a lot from these mistakes. They've still given a chance to new studios as publishers, but don't take as much shit anymore, as is visible from the amount of canceled projects. I mean, they even canceled Johan's love child Runemaster after realizing it wouldn't work as designed. Killing your darlings is always hard and honestly that game sounded interesting.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2015, 01:36:04 am »

If they took a YEAR patching it...do you really think it was Paradox's fault? I get that publishers are known to ruin games...but have you ever thought that maybe the developing studio is the problem?

If Paradox would have funded them another year with no release (a terrible business practice really) you think it would have saved the studio?

And then what does that say of paradox? they pick up shit game studios?  Not even sure where to go with this, Im just saying alot of paradox branded things end up in a very patchy release state, even for their own games repeatedly. :/

Btw, Love cities: Skylines minus the traffic thing, first good sim city in a long time.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2015, 01:54:25 am »

I was dubious regarding Kerberos already at the time due to their utterly arrogant fan interactions on their forums - basically their head honcho calling anyone disagreeing with game design decisions stupid and smelly poopoohead...

I used to post on the Kerberos Fort Zombie forums.  I posted about gun range balancing (when shooting, you would miss a zombie standing still at 5 meters away) and was told by the dev that I don't know anything about guns.  Then I was perma banned.  Good times.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2015, 02:07:11 am »

Btw, Love cities: Skylines minus the traffic thing, first good sim city in a long time.
But the traffic is one of the best parts though. It falls apart for realistic reasons and in realistic ways for the most part, and can be solved likewise. Adding more lanes doesn't make traffic better, and that's exactly what you see in real traffic; people merging in and out of their intended lanes in combination with traffic lights are usually the actual cause of bad traffic everywhere but a highway in rush hour. Load balancing the lanes is a big part of what makes the traffic simulation interesting, and I have yet to encounter a case where things just didn't make sense.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2015, 02:15:45 am »

And then what does that say of paradox? they pick up shit game studios?  Not even sure where to go with this, Im just saying alot of paradox branded things end up in a very patchy release state, even for their own games repeatedly. :/

All games I know of these days have patchy releases...and you are making some pretty huge assumptions of what I am saying...straw man much?

Paradox, like every publisher, has its hits and misses when it comes to who they pick up...yes at times they have obviously picked up shit studios...what is your point?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2015, 02:32:11 am »

You know how you can read everywhere that you shouldn't build your water pumps downstream from your sewage drains ?
Well, when I read that, in the little map I had, I decided to build water towers, to be safe. Except pollution from my industry district reached them after a while.

I can tell you one thing : even with the 2 first loans, you can't manage a 1600 inhabitants town where half the population is sick :/

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2015, 03:10:01 am »

Never build water towers if you can build water pumps instead. I always move sewage drains downstream whenever I expand the area - and water pumps upstream, of course.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2015, 03:15:11 am »

I am playing in one of the maps where you have just a side of the river near the starting highway.
There is a lake (apparently with a source) further, but I don't want to build far from my only access point early in the game (money problems and all that).
And I can put my water towers nearly anywhere I want :)
But yeah, they're more expensive and produce half as much, so basically, you dont' want them. Except I do :p

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2015, 06:00:06 am »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 51