Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 366903 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2205 on: July 02, 2016, 06:51:46 pm »

Note to self: if I ever make a game kickstarter, no fucking stretch goals.
Or... implement the stretch goals after you finish the basic product.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: July 02, 2016, 06:52:23 pm »

Note to self: if I ever make a game kickstarter, no fucking stretch goals.
Then it will likely not be finished, from my experience.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 02, 2016, 07:14:56 pm »

In hindsight it may have been a better move to release the unupgraded thing they had before the Kickstarter (properly arted, obviously) and then use the funds from that to put all those cool features into a sequel, so the fans get their game and the devs get to work on a cool thing without all this kerfuffle.

But hindsight 20/20 and all that.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 02, 2016, 07:45:07 pm »

At this point they could have released the original, non-stretch version, if it was operational at all, and  leave in limbo the stretch goals, rather than the whole project, if only to avoid e-hatred.

That is, they could have done this if the claims of having an almost ready product were true. Given the status of affairs, it sounds more and more likely that it was all zezenako gorotz from day one. I'm going to be charitable and say that maybe they overrated both how operational their original product was to begin with, and what kind of stretch goals were they actually able to pull off.

TBH, the whole TWS (and Cult before it. And Nekro, to a lesser extent -insofar Nekro is actually playable, despite the drama surrounding it's removal from Steam-) experience serves as a reminder of why it's a good idea to stay clear of kickstarters, specially KS done by amateurs/unknowns (these should be avoided like the plague, in fact). Even if it starts in good faith odds are the whole thing will go down in flames
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 02, 2016, 08:18:55 pm »

I don't know if that's fair. You just gotta be careful around ambitious Kickstarters. If it sounds hard to pull off, it probably is. I learned my lesson with Net Gain in simply believing in starry-eyed enthusiasm and a decent looking mockup.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: July 02, 2016, 11:34:39 pm »

More accurately, stay clear of kickstarters if you are not into gambling and/or expect a 'payoff' 100% of the time.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: July 02, 2016, 11:39:09 pm »

I back kickstarters based off of what I would like to see succeed. A lot of them may not, for various reasons, but if it gets backed at least there is a chance. *shrug*
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: July 03, 2016, 03:35:32 am »

Aye, pay the guys attempting to make the cool things I want and such.

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: July 03, 2016, 06:08:42 am »

Update from me: Thanks to Lapoleon I found out that if anyone visits my profile page over in the TWS forums it doesnīt even mark me as banned. This is very strange. Would you mind asking for me over there how that could happen and what they have to say about this? Also, I would ask you again to make my ban over there public if itīs been hidden this way.

Thanks for your help.

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: July 03, 2016, 06:53:10 am »

The forum software by default gives no visible indication when someone is banned.

I suppose I could set it up so that it does, but since everyone is convinced the game is dead, I don't see why I should expend the effort.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2215 on: July 03, 2016, 06:55:42 am »

The forum software by default gives no visible indication when someone is banned.

I suppose I could set it up so that it does, but since everyone is convinced the game is dead, I don't see why I should expend the effort.
with that kind of attitude it may as well be dead. Oh well

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: July 03, 2016, 06:58:31 am »

I'm not one of the developers. My "attitude" has no bearing on the project's eventual success or failure.

And if you had put up with the amount of bullsh*t I have over the past two years, you'd be bitter, too.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2217 on: July 03, 2016, 07:00:25 am »

If you're running the official forum then your attitude and work does have some impact on the project. I get the bitterness though. Need a new moderator?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:26:40 am by forsaken1111 »

Serenseven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: July 03, 2016, 07:16:49 am »

Fenicks runs it. The other two moderators and I just assist. It only looked like I ran it because I'm generally much more active than the others.

Contrary to assertions earlier in this thread, I have not resigned the moderatorship. I'm just taking a break for a bit. Since I have a bunch of travel ahead of me this month, it would have happened anyway, even without the recent uproar.

SangerZonvolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 03, 2016, 08:00:49 am »

Contrary to assertions earlier in this thread, I have not resigned the moderatorship. I'm just taking a break for a bit. Since I have a bunch of travel ahead of me this month, it would have happened anyway, even without the recent uproar.

Guess I missunderstood you then. Because your wording made it seem like you would only go back to moderating once they showed some actual consistend gameplay, which I interpreted that you resign from your moderation work for now.

For everyone else: I can confirm that itīs no his fault the forum has gone bitter. He was supportive and neutral for a very long time as a moderator and has only gone bitter the last few weeks or so following events that werenīt his fault. He even acted as a messenger that got us some rare informations out of Josh when Josh stopped posting. Without him we would know a lot less.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 210