Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43113 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC/pregame [0/6]
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »

I know. And, since they they don't have low level healing, onwards!

Dice, are all psionics banned? Can you elaborate on that rule?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »

Possibly a Rogue dude who doesn't have trap-finding
A rogue who won't have the Trapfinding feature for, what, 2 levels?

B. We are missing a trapfinder and scout. This would mean a Swift Hunter, basically.
I'll have Trapfinding and its skills, Hide in Plain Sight, good Hide and Move Silently, Survival, good movement, and flight. I got scouting covered.

Thus the reason I asked for everyone's planned builds. I have no idea what you're planning on getting trapfinding from. I have no idea what your character concept really is since you haven't linked a sheet in the thread thus far. I had no idea what skills you were planning on having until just now. I have no idea how you plan in contributing in other ways. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Also, if you want to be the scout, read this.

White Raven Warblade/Swordsage works fine as a buffer, by the way. I mentioned it because White Raven Tactics, for example, in a party with this many melee types(though we're only gonna end up with, what, 6 people total and we have nearly ten applying?), is incredible. As is Inspire Frenzy, sorta.

Tawarochir, if you're going to make a conjurer, consider Augmented Summoning. +4 Str and Con for anything you summon.

Another reason for Swift Hunter is that so far, from the information I have, we don't have a very good ranged character.

Sorry Nerjin, but your mounted character does not count as that, as is. He might end up counting later, though. I don't know what you're building him towards.

The only classes that really have low-level healing that's actually useful are Cleric and Crusader, really.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2014, 09:36:17 pm »

Possibly a Rogue dude who doesn't have trap-finding
A rogue who won't have the Trapfinding feature for, what, 2 levels?

B. We are missing a trapfinder and scout. This would mean a Swift Hunter, basically.
I'll have Trapfinding and its skills, Hide in Plain Sight, good Hide and Move Silently, Survival, good movement, and flight. I got scouting covered.
Thus the reason I asked for everyone's planned builds. I have no idea what you're planning on getting trapfinding from. I have no idea what your character concept really is since you haven't linked a sheet in the thread thus far. I had no idea what skills you were planning on having until just now. I have no idea how you plan in contributing in other ways. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Also, if you want to be the scout, read this.
Dark Winged Dragonwrought Arctic Kobold Rogue/Swashbuckler, with maybe a one-level Cleric dip. Crossbows, reach weapons, skill monkeying, languages and knowledge. Some crafting of traps, potentially including poison.
Hey, Dice, hypothetically speaking, what would a Kobold Cleric who doesn't pray to any particular god and gets his powers from the idea that Kobolds are Awesome and Fighting to Defend Kobolds is Even More Awesome get as a favoured weapon for purposes of the War Domain? Just pick one that makes some sense (probably one used as part of traps)?
Quote from: Web Enhancement
Kobold Domain
Granted Power: You can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. You can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A cleric with the Kobold domain who beats a trap's DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with their party) without disarming it.
Add Disable Device and Search to your list of cleric class skills.
Hey, Dice, I'm thinking of trading out the Rogue Trapfinding Class Feature for an Alternate one. However, there aren't exactly a great deal of options for trading it. Would trading it for Poison Use (basically the Drow Rogue ACF, which I'm not entirely sure if it requires being a Drow or not, RAW) or Track (basically a reverse of half of the Ranger ACF trading Track and Swift Tracker for Trapfinding and Disable Device) be acceptable?
Edit: Also, are any of the Kobold Web Enhancement traits in play?
Edit: Also also, would it be possible to trade Class Skill: Forgery for Class Skill: Survival? White collar crime doesn't fit the character for a number of reasons (little experience with fancy paperwork, being Lawful Good, not spending a lot of time around non-Kobolds), but being capable of self-sufficiency, navigation and other outdoorsy stuff does.
Also, I'll be getting trapfinding from another source in a few levels anyway, so... *Shrug*
::)
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2014, 09:44:50 pm »

Tawarochir, if you're going to make a conjurer, consider Augmented Summoning. +4 Str and Con for anything you summon.
I'm not making a conjurer, I just want to summon giant bees.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »

I'm basically going to be going for feats that let me do loads of damage with my axe.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:21 pm »

Another reason for Swift Hunter is that so far, from the information I have, we don't have a very good ranged character.
I'm not saying you shouldn't make a Swift Hunter (given the surroundings, more explorer/scout/whatever types will probably be useful), just saying that we do in fact already have a trapfinder and someone who can do scouting stuff, so don't feel obligated to fill the role.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:37 pm »

we don't have a very good ranged character
* Ruvitsuvi the Sage casts Ray of Frost at Rolepgeek
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:04 pm »

First quote was lost in the sea of replies. Second quote seemed contradictory with your later statements regarding rogues. Didn't check the Kobold Web Enhancement because you talked about traits so I figured it wasn't anything big.

And, ah, are you planning on using cleric shenanigans to get good hide/silently checks, then?

Well, I'm still stuck between deciding the two now, so...I dunno. Not sure which, if either, would fit with the party's general power level better.

Maybe I should stat up both...

Aside:
* Rolepgeek isn't really hurt, because ray of frost deals 1d3 damage, and Suilvitsui has a penalty to ranged attacks anyway so it probably doesn't even hit.

I said a very good ranged character. I didn't say no ranged character. Mages don't typically count for that(though Warlocks would with the changes thus far) because they're usually crowd control, not single-target slaying, when they aren't being Tier 2s. When they're Tier 1 and 2s, they're everything and no one else needs to even play.

Consider this. You have a ranged touch attack at -1 that deals 1d3 cold damage.
I, meanwhile, have two ranged attacks at +5 to hit that each deal 1d8+1 damage(*this means I took Rapid Shot as a first level ranger, so it's unlikely, though). Or, I have a single ranged attack at +6 to hit that deals 1d8+1d6+1 damage.

Until level 3. At which point I attack at +7/+7(cuz' masterwork), dealing 1d8+1d6+1 damage both times. You now have Scorching Ray, dealing 4d6 damage at your newest attack bonus of +0.

At level 7, I've probably gotten a splitting bow, meaning my total attack and damage is as follows: +11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+6(I almost certainly have a Dex booster of some sort), each hit dealing 1d8+2d6+2(magic now). You, meanwhile, have a Fireball which deals 7d6 points of damage unless they make the save DC of 18 or so(for comparison, my character by this point, while not having Evasion, has a Reflex save of +13 or so). And unless they're immune. You deal it to like, twelve enemies at once, but all the same. Plus you might unfriendly fire(literally).

You're a sorceror at low levels, bro. You'll get awesome once you come into your own, but the roles don't overlap easily(except for Warmages, but they're Warmages).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:27:30 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:02 pm »

And, ah, are you planning on using cleric shenanigans to get good hide/silently checks, then?
No.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2014, 10:26:08 pm »

No.

Then...do you plan on only taking like 1 level in cleric or something? Which probably means Devotion feats?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:09 pm »

Then...do you plan on only taking like 1 level in cleric or something? Which probably means Devotion feats?
Dark Winged Dragonwrought Arctic Kobold Rogue/Swashbuckler, with maybe a one-level Cleric dip. Crossbows, reach weapons, skill monkeying, languages and knowledge. Some crafting of traps, potentially including poison.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2014, 10:38:30 pm »

Ah. So, yes, probably devotion feats.

And, of course, incredibly convoluted race.

And it's a kobold. Which always creates worry.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:47 pm »

I can already see that people won't respect the racist dwarf fighter. Some of you guys have some ridiculous stuff already.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2014, 10:44:33 pm »

And, of course, incredibly convoluted race.

And it's a kobold. Which always creates worry.
Right. Because free LA offset doesn't usually lead to convoluted races, and kobolds are known for being horrifically powerful with anything but the application of careful reverse-min-maxing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:15 pm »

I can already see that people won't respect the racist dwarf fighter. Some of you guys have some ridiculous stuff already.

Not at all.

I respect him for his character.

Just not his fighting skill, at the moment. Not if he's a dwarf fighting from range. Such words were never meant to be uttered, unless the 'range' was melee, or the weapon was a throwing axe.

Also, as for how characters would interact with him, it really depends.

@Harbinger: I never said it didn't. But that doesn't change the fact that it is one.

Also, Tucker's Kobolds.

And again, I said worry. Not insta-ban. You don't need to get pissy. But kobolds with levels in tier 1 classes can be worrisome. Whether those worries are founded or not is an entirely different matter.

Jeezus man.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33