Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43126 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC/pregame [0/6]
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2014, 04:41:37 pm »

When I play at first level I give out free familiars, but by default, I don't believe so.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:26 pm »

Hmmkay then.

Elves are allowed to grow facial hair in this setting, right? Please tell me they can.

If they can't my sorcerer is going to have his hair braided down his face

This is Ruvitsuvi, the wandering elven sage-sorcerer.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:43:01 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:53 pm »

Hey, Dice, hypothetically speaking, what would a Kobold Cleric who doesn't pray to any particular god and gets his powers from the idea that Kobolds are Awesome and Fighting to Defend Kobolds is Even More Awesome get as a favoured weapon for purposes of the War Domain? Just pick one that makes some sense (probably one used as part of traps)?
Probably a Greatpick.
Hmmm, no reach, not finesseable, can't be TWF'ed, not proficient with it. Eh.

1. You can take ACFs, just make sure to mention what you're taking and source it. Poison Use is obsolete; 4 ranks in Craft (Poison) removes the percentage chance of poisoning yourself. I'll allow you to trade it for Track if you like, but I'll warn you right now that dropping Trapfinding if nobody else has a reliable way to detect and disable traps might lead to some substantial hardships down the line.
I've... never seen that before. Source?
Also, I'll be getting trapfinding from another source in a few levels anyway, so... *Shrug*

You can find it here. LA+3. However, I'd rule that playing a Psuedodragon would preclude you from wielding any non-simple weapons, as well as from casting spells/SLAs with verbal components, given that they can only communicate telepathically and with animal noises. However I'd give a PC Pseudodragon two 1d3 claw natural weapons.

The main racial advantages are 60' fly (good), blindsense, telepathic communication, a weak poison sting, and good Hide checks in forests.
Pseudodragons aren't set up to be played as PCs -- as such, they don't list racial ability modifiers (any monster that is will have a section labelled "X as Characters" in their entry) -- and frankly I don't think that the value of monsters not intended to be played as PCs is sufficient to warrant working out homebrew for them. If you're really set on playing a monster, pretty much all of the ones designed for it will have the work done for you like any other race. I'll just DM fiat that now: if a creature isn't already set up to be played as a PC, it's off limits.
Actually, IIRC there's a published method for working out the ability score modifiers of not-PC'd-normally races somewhere. Probably in Savage Species...
Also, D&D wiki is terrible, I suggest you stick with d20srd and D&D Tools. D&D wiki mislabels homebrew stuff as official, and vice-versa.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 07:54:12 pm by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2014, 07:12:03 pm »

You accidentally removed the second Dice quote there.

It was pretty confusing until I saw the lonely quote tag.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2014, 07:16:26 pm »

I have no idea what you're talking about.
None at all~

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »

It's in the DMG/monster manual, actually, and it's pretty simple; assume all monsters are made with a base of 11,11,11,10,10,10, and subtract said number from the appropriate ability scores(11 from odds, 10 from evens), if the entry does not say otherwise.

In any case, though, I'd rather not have us be so ridiculous a party as to have a tiny cat-minded dragon character.

We already have a troll, which is strange enough...

ANYWAY.

So far we have...

Two Fighters (...a spare bow? You're trying to fuck with me aren't you Nerjin)
A Troll Warrior(because Remuthra's trying to troll us)
A Barbarian
A Sorceror (...who's somehow Atheist. As in, refuses to worship the gods or actually fails to believe in their existence?)
Possibly a Rogue dude who doesn't have trap-finding

Now, I like this party, other than the troll warrior. I do. It's low-magic, which is pretty frakkin' cool.

However, we will be traveling in the wilderness. A lot. Like, all of the time a lot.

Which means I have a couple options, because we are missing some roles in the party.

A. We are missing a buffer. This could mean a Spellscale Bard, or a White Raven ToB class, or a divine caster of almost any flavor.
B. We are missing a trapfinder and scout. This would mean a Swift Hunter, basically.
C. We are missing a healer. This could mean a divine caster of almost any flavor, or a Devoted Spirit ToB class, or we can all just meatshield up and take weeks to recover like normal people.

I don't feel like playing a bard. I don't feel like playing a Healer. I still really want to play a Warblade/Swordsage(probably a multiclass between the two if I want to get the right mix and shit). I have never really gotten to play a Scout/Swift Hunter before, though.

Which means I have the questions, for Flying Dice.

Swift Hunter related questions:
1. I don't really want to play a Ranger with an animal companion (and, to a lesser degree, spells). It doesn't fit my mental image of my character. Feel free to tell me to suck it up, but would it be alright if I changed those out for class features that aren't the various ACF? I would have to go over it in more detail with you, of course, but it would essentially just be making it so I got some Scout-like class features(maybe just have the levels stack for some more of the class features from Swift Hunter?) or the Ranger features at a better rate. I dunno. Ah, yes, that's right, some more skills, for example, and a wider skill list, would be cool. Like Disable Device/Trapfinding. Ah yes, and a few changes to the normal class features(Manyshot is now useless, compared to Rapid Shot, since Full Attacks are standard actions), perhaps?
2. What are the enemies we could be most likely to fight/deal with? It will be annoying if I choose Outsiders as my favored enemy and then it turns out we never ever fight a single one. Or Undead and the same happens. I understand you don't wanna give everything away and there'll be random encounters etc., but some knowledge of it would be nice so I don't have to make guesses/fuck with my character concept to make the 'best' choices for a Swift Hunter's Favored Enemies. Maybe a better question would be 'what sort of enemies are around this area?' Also on the topic of favored enemies, can we please just make each type it's own favored enemy? I really don't get how a giant eagle, a bear, and an anaconda have more in common in terms of anatomy and habits then gnomes and dwarves do.
3. Could the fast movement from my Scout class apply to flight speed instead, if I have a character with such?
4. Can I take Flyby Attack even if I only have a Glide Speed?
5. Ah, ummm...throwing weapons...if I didn't want to have to fuck about with shuriken, is there any way I could have large numbers of throwable weapons without having to burn through my gold like mad?

Warblade/Swordsage related questions:
1. First, I want to play a character who wields one weapon, in one hand, without a shield. Please, Dice, tell me you have some ways that this isn't an awful idea?!?
2. Does Weapon Aptitude work to change between categories for things like Weapon Focus now?
3. Is Adaptive Style a bonus feat for Swordsages still like I remember it was in one version of those homebrewed rules? It's usually considered a feat tax from what I can tell...
4. Uhhh...how does Discipline Focus interact with the new rules regarding Weapon Focus now? And Weapon Aptitude, for that matter?
5. I...I thought I had more...hmmm...oh yeah, how exactly do Keen and Improved Critical stack? As in, triple the base range(base doubled, then the base doubled again), or as in quadrupled(base doubled, then that doubled again)? I'm guessing the former.
6. How, exactly, does Weapon Finesse work now, specifically? Does the weapon in your off-hand only apply half of your Dex bonus?
7. Since we can become proficient in exotic weapons without the use of a feat, simply by rolling and making a check, can we be assumed to have one free Exotic Weapon Proficiency? Not with the Spiked Chain or anything, mind you. I'm just curious, is all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2014, 08:18:35 pm »

A Sorceror (...who's somehow Atheist. As in, refuses to worship the gods or actually fails to believe in their existence?)
1. (Lazy out of character explanation) The SRD provides no gods. Neither does the OP. Therefore, I made an atheist character who doesn't worship any individual god but agrees they exist based upon the workings of clerics and paladins.
2. (Less lazy in character explanation) My character feels that magic and religion don't mix and worships no god but agrees upon their existence based upon the workings of clerics and paladins.

Party Lacking things:

-Alright, so, you're planning on trap monkey/scout. Nice.
-We need a healer. My suggestion is that once we get to around Crystal Lake get to be a high enough level that we can afford it, we buy boatloads of healing potions. I could also have my sorcerer take "cure light wounds"; to quote the SRD,
Quote from: SRD
These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.
-We need a buffer. Or do we? We could get by without one. Alternatively, I could pick up some of the buffing level 2 Transmutation spells and spend a few weeks holed up with paper making scrolls for them so that squishy wizard me can read them out while hiding behind our meatshields.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:32:25 pm by Tawarochir »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:07 pm »

Now, I like this party, other than the troll warrior.
Dirty racist

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2014, 08:31:54 pm »

Possibly a Rogue dude who doesn't have trap-finding
A rogue who won't have the Trapfinding feature for, what, 2 levels?

B. We are missing a trapfinder and scout. This would mean a Swift Hunter, basically.
I'll have Trapfinding and its skills, Hide in Plain Sight, good Hide and Move Silently, Survival, good movement, and flight. I got scouting covered.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2014, 08:45:29 pm »

So many warriors/barbarians. If you guys want, I can change my character to be a healer. Though making this character was already a pain in the ass...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:47:41 pm by PrivateNomad »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:30 pm »

I'd just like to mention now that my first level 2 spell will be Summon Monster II, because GIANT BEES. What buffing spells do you guys think would be the most useful?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »

So many warriors/barbarians. If you guys want, I can change my character to be a healer. Though making this character was already a pain in the ass...
No, I'll do it. My cheeseless kobold Dragonfire Adept wasn't working out.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:37 pm »

Mkay then

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2014, 09:11:25 pm »

You know, I've never tried Artificer before. They do buffs, right? Gonna go check that.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2014, 09:13:57 pm »

They do a lot of crafting, which is a little pointless with these rules.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33