Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How sad are you that a simple issue can bring out the worst in people?

It makes me sad. So very very sad.
- 58 (49.6%)
I think it's great!
- 26 (22.2%)
I'm indifferent.
- 33 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: 2014: Equal rights  (Read 53318 times)

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: Equal rights
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

I know not all of them. You're crying "not ALL men" here. I already said, not all straight white people are oppressive, but that as a whole straight white people are privileged and that oppresses everyone else.
I suggest that you take any further liberal rants to the General Discussion board. This board exists for the game; you will get no progress here.

Wow, I had no idea the average Dwarf Fortress player was a conservative douchebag before today. Screw you guys, I'm out of here. -1 player.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »

I like how we're on a board about a game where you can cut someone's arm off, then use the opportunity to gouge their eyes out, then slice open their belly and tear out their guts with your teeth, and THIS... THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT'S CAUSING A PROBLEM.
This is not the problem, inspiredsimji is.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:34 pm »

Wonder how Loud Whisper's test is going?

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

As someone else said, this could end up being a nice tool when creating other races. I wonder what other Ethics could be created.. Disinterest in hunting animals? How about Atheism.
EDIT: Vegetarianism! That could "enhance" gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:14:50 pm by xeluc »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »

I think we need to calm down and focus on discussing the issue, rather than attacking each other. Ad hominem only leads to bad places.

I'm not using ad hominem, I'm stating facts. Straight, white people are oppressive. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Not all of them. Stereotyping is just as bad. The few give the majority a bad name.

I know not all of them. You're crying "not ALL men" here. I already said, not all straight white people are oppressive, but that as a whole straight white people are privileged and that oppresses everyone else.

I disagree with this. Simply because of statistical inequality, does not mean disadvantaged. This is the kind of argument about "Racism" in prison systems. It discounts external factors that influence the situation. (In the case of ethnicity statistics in prison populations, you have to consider cultural and subcultural influences that may influence criminal behavior, and accept that it *IS* possible for those cultures and subcultures to encourage criminality more than other cultural populations, and thus produce more criminals per capita. The color of the skin is ancillary to that factor.)

Likewise with homosexuality, asexuality, and bisexuality.  We are still trying to determine all the myriad factors that contribute to these states of being in a person, and have a good deal of very good data at least concerning male homosexuality, which basically boils down to what order a male child is born from a mother-- The more male children a woman carries, the greater the statistical odds that the new male offspring will be homosexual. The trend is very VERY apparent in generation studies. Current wisdom suggests that it is due to the woman's body reacting in a more or less immune-response fashion to the androgens produced by the male fetus-- the compounds her body produces to protect itself cross the placental barrier, and interfere with the fetus's development, causing neurological changes from partial feminization in the nervous system. This results in a spectrum of homosexual, bisexual, and asexual characteristics, with emphasis toward homosexual the more male children a woman carries.

There isnt good data yet on female homosexuality.

Regardless, since you are talking about a population that results from a very specific set of conditions, against a population that does not have those specific conditions, you are naturally going to have a vast difference in manifestation of that feature. This is simply nature at work. It is not any kind of predjudice or disadvantage. I am asexual, and get along just fine. I have homosexual female neighbors, and they get along just fine.

Homosexuality is a thing-- like any other. Expecting a perfectly "Fair" distribution in the population is nonsense. Expecting some kind of equal rights utopia is also nonsense. "Hell is other people" as the saying goes.  The world takes all kinds. I want to see all kinds in DF. I dont actually condone people being irrational about sexuality or sexual preferences-- and that includes the way you seem to be going.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:04 pm »

How about Atheism.

I would say atheism wouldn't fit too well, by the simple fact that Gods are actually visibly acting upon the world.  Agnosticism may fit better because of that, since other pantheons with gods not of your own are also acting.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:36 pm »

I haven't seen any gay bashing occur in this thread or anybody suggest that including homophobia in ethics constitutes actual homophobia except for inspiredsimji. If nobody is interpreting this the way he is I think it would be a good idea to discount his opinion and stop responding to him.
This. He might even be is trolling.

For the fiftieth time in three days, I regret that this Forum does not have a "Like" button.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2014, 02:15:39 pm »

How about Atheism.

I would say atheism wouldn't fit too well, by the simple fact that Gods are actually visibly acting upon the world.  Agnosticism may fit better because of that, since other pantheons with gods not of your own are also acting.
Yes, agreed.

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »

I haven't seen any gay bashing occur in this thread or anybody suggest that including homophobia in ethics constitutes actual homophobia except for inspiredsimji. If nobody is interpreting this the way he is I think it would be a good idea to discount his opinion and stop responding to him.
This. He might even be is trolling.

For the fiftieth time in three days, I regret that this Forum does not have a "Like" button.

Oh yes. I'm definitely trolling. It even says so on my tumblr that I'm not taking any of this seriously at all, and I'm DEFINITELY not being offended. Nope.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:54 pm »

EDIT: Vegetarianism! That could "enhance" gameplay.
I think that such a thing would be easily bypassed, what with plump helmet farms and such. But here's a real challenge to add: allergies!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Azukash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »

Just wanted to say inspiredsimji is a troll from tumblr, his/her post is on the first page of #dwarf fortress tag highlighting this thread.

"wow
im trying my damnedest to convince people in this thread that their casual homophobia is NOT ok but i cant even get through their thick neckbeard skulls"

Just thought I would point it out so you guys wont feed the troll anymore, even with well constructed and though through arguments as he/she is just going to disregard it and continue spouting the whole tumblr dogmatic responses.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 14, 2014, 02:17:23 pm »

How about Atheism.

I would say atheism wouldn't fit too well, by the simple fact that Gods are actually visibly acting upon the world.  Agnosticism may fit better because of that.

It happened with the Dwemer in Elder Scrolls. Didn't go too well for them, what with the vanish-from-existence thing. And why not have a modifier like this one being tested here, to have a chance of disbelief/agnostic/don't care/somewhat-religious/devout/militant? Even more options!

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 14, 2014, 02:17:28 pm »

Nice, SJW's in Dwarf Fortress. There's literally nothing they won't attempt to inject their politics in.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

It also seems to affect nobility to an extent.
Has anyone encountered a Lady Consort that is female, I could have sworn I saw one in the first in .o1 or .o2. I figured this was a glitch, but I never bothered looking it up. Seemed like a small thing. I wonder if this can apply to modded castes? So that certain castes would find other castes unattractive/more attractive?

So with this in, will Toady put in mixed-racial unions like in those two Threetoe stories?

Also, I'm pretty sure inspiredsimji is just a troll from /pol/ some other conservative website.
EDIT-Sweet Armok this is one hot topic
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:17 pm »

How about Atheism.

I would say atheism wouldn't fit too well, by the simple fact that Gods are actually visibly acting upon the world.  Agnosticism may fit better because of that.
Atheism in older worlds could be possible, since the gods are no longer involved in the world and most monsters are dead. One of the older ages even has this description "The Age of Civilization was a time when fantastic creatures were but mere stories told by travelers."

It could be interesting to see an actual moral progression in a race.
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21